Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is on schedule to announce a series of generative AI-based tools at its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in June, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reports.

iOS-18-Mock-Siri-Feature-Baubles.jpg

In the latest edition of his "Power On" newsletter, Gurman reaffirmed and expanded upon previous comments related to Apple's plans to announce a series of new tools based on generative AI at WWDC as part of iOS 18, including a revamped version of Siri.

The company has reportedly been testing its "Ajax" large language model since early 2023 and is considering using it to add auto-completion and auto-summarizing features to its core apps, as well as its productivity suite including Pages and Keynote. A new version of Xcode will apparently feature AI for code completion. It is also looking at integrating AI into Apple Music to automate playlist creation, in addition using the technology for troubleshooting problems with AppleCare.

However, Gurman believes that "the totality of Apple's generative AI vision will take at least into 2025 to fully scale," suggesting that not all planned features will arrive this year, and competitors like Samsung will do everything they can to highlight Apple's current "deficiency" in the AI space in the coming months.

Article Link: Wave of Apple Generative AI Tools on Track for WWDC Debut

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Music playlists have never been something I got too excited about, but in this case it seems like there is massive potential. Imagine being able to describe exactly the kind of music you want to hear, which era, genre, and band/s you want the music to sound like, and even which you don't like, all at once. Or, describe the exact context of the event you're playing music within. Or a kind of project you're working on and seeking creative inspiration for.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
not all planned features will arrive this year, and competitors like Samsung will do everything they can to highlight Apple's current "deficiency" in the AI space in the coming months
Has anyone considered that users might not want to go down the AI rabbit hole? There might be cases where it's useful and some where it's not. But the tech is being shoved down our throats as if it's some magical solution even though it hasn't yet been fully vetted. I just hope Apple gets it right.

Siri: "Here's what I found about 'gets it right' on the web."

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
that highlighting of Apple’s current AI deficiencies is already happening, it was hilarious how many ads I got over the holiday season for the Pixel that were…very typical Google. it’ll be interesting to see what Apple puts together with user privacy and on-device implementation in mind.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Music playlists has never been something I got too excited about, but in this case it seems like there is massive potential. Imagine being able to describe exactly the kind of music you want to hear, which era, genre, and band/s you want the music to sound like, and even which you don't like, all at once. Or, describe the exact context of the event you're playing music within. Or a kind of project you're working on and looking for creative inspiration.
only issue I can see with this boils down to the dataset the AI is trained on—to that end, though, it makes sense that they’re trying to ink deals with huge publishers for rights to their content for training purposes. if a user can say “make a playlist of the best hip-hop songs of all time” and make their AI spit something out, they want it to be based on the opinions of the most well-respected publications for music (or any kinda creative) critique

Reactions: filmantopia

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I just wrote a long paragraph on the social media platform, Nextdoor. I wrote the word stupid in it. Nextdoor offered to use AI to rewrite it, I assumed just that one sentence. Oh no, it completely rewrote the whole paragraph and did an absolutely amazing job. Wish I had a before an after, but mainly it filled in my sentences and made them flow better. I also tried ChatGPT on rewriting scripts taken from educational material. I wanted to see if it would be able to rewrite stuff to get around copyright. It did a great job but I’m not sure if it was good enough for the copyright issue.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
integrating AI into Apple Music to automate playlist creation, in addition using the technology for troubleshooting problems with AppleCare
"Better AppleCare" is probably not a feature that gets people hot and bothered, but I'm surprisingly excited for this... just because I've found that for tech support issues, I can just ask ChatGPT or Bard and get a genuinely helpful reply in seconds. As opposed to, say, searching on Google and having to spend an hour or more wading through years-old, semi-related posts on Reddit and random message boards to maybe find something that can help.

Now if I can just get my older relatives to rely on AI for their tech support instead of coming to me, all my problems would really be solved! 😩

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Meh, my life has been good without “AI” and I don’t see the benefit for myself…
Maybe rather than waiting for iPhone 16 which will force iOS 18 onto me I’ll get a 15 and stay on ios17…
They aren't for everyone but tools like ChatGPT have literally been life-changing for me in my work as a university-based research scientist. I can't get into many details but they're easily as important for me as web search engines have been. While I occasionally use them to help with some writing (emails, nothing scholarly), I mainly have these LLMs help me with coding. I could figure it all out myself (with help from sources online) or have graduate or other students figure it out (or apply for funding to pay others to do it but that can take years...) but with the tools I can expedite everything and save hours to months of time. This means more time to do what's more important.

Last edited:

FrankieG889D

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
Has anyone considered that users might not want to go down the AI rabbit hole? There might be cases where it's useful and some where it's not. But the tech is being shoved down our throats as if it's some magical solution even though it hasn't yet been fully vetted. I just hope Apple gets it right.

Siri: "Here's what I found about 'gets it right' on the web."
Who knows, probably an option to turn it off.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
But will it be it mine cryptocurrency while being secured with blockchain? Oops wrong “overhyped technological” fad
A bitcoin, a magical piece of code, is worth 44K. Every day I look in the mirror and ask myself why I didnt follow through with my plans to buy a few when it was dirt cheap. Even had the wife on board....

Reactions: amartinez1660

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Meh, my life has been good without “AI” and I don’t see the benefit for myself…
Maybe rather than waiting for iPhone 16 which will force iOS 18 onto me I’ll get a 15 and stay on ios17…
Plenty of AI in iOS 17 as well.
AI isn’t really a feature, it’s not a button, it’s not an app.
It’s just a type of technology that can be implemented into features, or buttons, or applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.