Way cool Nvidia Tool !!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MacVidCards, Jun 30, 2010.

1. MacVidCards Suspended

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1246

I installed the universal.zip

Currently it is a PITA because you need to install a kext, run Terminal and enable root but check this out, I got the below screenshot from an 8800GT which is running the EFI64 version which uses 2 power levels.

Looks like card COULD be run at 1.10 volts but only goes to 1.05

Sadly, one of the notes on this App is that it DOESN'T support Fermi yet...of course right when I WOuld WANT it to.

Will toss in the GTX285 and see what it says.

But wouldn't it be cool if somebody worked with this guy and put a GUI on it?

Attached Files:

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

im on it ;)

successfully overclocked my 7300gt using this... this is great

3. MacVidCards thread starter Suspended

I got it to access the GTX285 and GTX480 by loading kext after boot.

The GTX480 results aren't accurate. Tried to post at that forum to offer to test Fermi support but couldn't post or PM.

Attached Files:

4. colorkite macrumors newbie

I wish i was a bit more familiar with loading kexts and using terminal - i'd love to try this. Anyone have the time to list out a basic list of how to get this working?

(ahem, Cindori - you rock bro0000)

5. MacVidCards thread starter Suspended

Cindori

Nice job sticking this in a GUI !!!

I tried it out with all of the Nvidia cards I had on hand.

First off, you need to have it be able to deal with more than 1 Nvidia card at a time. The command line version does, so there must be a way.

Second, I don't think it will change clocks or fan speeds on anything above the 7300. See text in bottom of one of the pix. You need to alter some boot file and add "coolbits1" to enable? That was name for Nvidia Windows overclocking tab before.

Anyhow, you should test with an 8800GT or better.

Third, no support for GF100 cards, as known. HOWEVER, this would be great time to find those Memory Registers and ADD support. Especially as my theory on slow Fermi cards is that they may be stuck in low power state. Only way to know for sure would be to know clocks.....live. Maybe you could work with nvclock author to add support & GUI deal.

Fourth...THIS COULD BE A VERY COOL THING...if you could include real time temp, clock, fan speed monitoring. Maybe a little addition to Menu bar? So far this info has not been readable by Fan speed apps, etc.

Can test more when you update.

Don't forget to fix the nvflash string. "nvflash 88gt32.rom -4 -5 -6" leads to flashing 8800GT. Will then need to respond "y" to 3 separate questions about those mismatches. Again, having an 8800GT would really help you here.

BTW, are you still at same addy? Just remember I never sent you a "Happy Graduation" card.

Attached Files:

6. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

as zeus unfortunately is not written in C, I can not make realtime readings.

atm I have no other card then a 7300gt

I will fix the nvflash strings to next update. But I have so much else interesting stuff to work on:

[​IMG]

not yet finished, pretty tricky, but getting there

same addy, it's ok, its thought that counts :D

7. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

Hi, anyway to do this on an april 2010 13" Macbook Pro?

I'm looking to use it to watch 720p movies on a Sony 32S3000 LCD with a MonoPrice HDMI adapter :)

Thanks

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Nop. This is Mac Pro only, (ie tower Macintosh) your laptop doesn't even carry a 5870/5850/480/470

9. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

this is actually a thread about nvidia overclocking and the tool could actually work on a macbook with nvidia card

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This is relavant to my itnerests then. However, the thermal limitations of a laptop have to be considered prior to even trying to overclock a mobile GPU.

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Well, people have been doing it for ages in Windows.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

True, but remember that some of those PCs were sorta thick and had better cooling system than what a Mac has.

13. colorkite macrumors newbie

Cindori,

When i use the tool to overclock my 8600m (macbook pro) it asks me if im sure - i click "yes" - then when i click "information" button it still shows old clock speeds. I dont think it's working.

Any thoughts?

14. ChuckBlack macrumors member

ChuckBlack

Same Here.