Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbaptista

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
Had issues today with Waze and Carplay. When ever I try to use Waze through Carplay the GPS signal is lost. Anyone having the same issue?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Been using carplay for awhile and like it a lot, not sure what you are expecting a map to look like?

Did you read my post? The second line very nicely summarizes the entire thing - "2/3 of the screen is covered in crap that isn't the map". The CarPlay UI is ludicrously busy.

OlliFlamme

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Sweden
Tested and quite happy with it, I must say! Froze the carplay and had an app crash once, need ro check its behaviour with other sound sources.
Feels new and fresh. People complaining about the interface experience need to know that the map usage in third party apps is restricted and fed by iOS in perhaps a different way than the general freedom on gets as a dev in the phone interface...

hdrummon

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
Aldie, VA
I just tried Waze for iOS CarPlay on my 2016 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid (with 3rd party updated Ford display with Sync 3 on it). Waze shows up as an option now and its great. I also like the Google satellite view option just added. CarPlay has been great and getting updated of late with really useful updates. Love it.

hion

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
Uggh - I don't want Waze on my radio screen, I like it on my phone. Even when I move the waze app off carplay, it still takes over my radio. Anyone know how to make it so waze won't use carplay? It's awful.
[doublepost=1537944618][/doublepost]I agree, help ! I can't get the map back on the phone screen, only on head unit screen.

OlliFlamme

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Sweden
Uggh - I don't want Waze on my radio screen, I like it on my phone. Even when I move the waze app off carplay, it still takes over my radio. Anyone know how to make it so waze won't use carplay? It's awful.
[doublepost=1537944618][/doublepost]I agree, help ! I can't get the map back on the phone screen, only on head unit screen.
Considering the sound issue:

Why not simply kill the app? I mean quit it...? Or do you háve to use waze while driving? Kinda would be strange to have Carplay and be able to use Waze without it.

If you wanna get rid of Waze on CarPlay:

Settings / General / CarPlay / tap your car model and press the minus.

Attachments

• DC5DD724-6B44-4463-9747-FA61A3F2398D.png
    DC5DD724-6B44-4463-9747-FA61A3F2398D.png
    578.1 KB · Views: 1,283
Reactions: iscand

RHammer

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2016
For those of you who aren't familiar with Waze:
it uses user information, both passive and active updates, to inform other users about current traffic load, accidents, road hazards, speed traps and other things.
In places where there are many Waze users , you get valuable current information that help you save time. Israel, where Waze was/is developed, is one such place. Probably more than 25% of the Israeli drivers are using it.
Google purchased Waze in 2014, especially for the user data.
Nowadays Google maps real-time updates take advantage of part of the data made available by Waze.

bookcase

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Boston, MA
Before I got CarPlay in my new car, I used Waze exclusively. But I've been using Apple Maps in CarPlay and I like it, plus it connects to my Apple Watch to send haptic vibrations when nearing crossroads, etc. I need to try out Waze and see how it works.

OlliFlamme

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Sweden
Nope, I've done that and Waze still takes over my radio screen, even with it removed from carplay settings... I've had to turn carplay off entirely because of this.
That sounds completely ridiculous... Well, I was just giving the logical explanation and hadn’t tested it myself.
I don’t see what’s wrong with Waze then...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.