Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

art_design_magazine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
WD My Passport will not mount will not mount in HighSierra 10.13.3 (17D47)
I Have WD Drive Utilities 2.1.1.64
Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do? I have looked everywhere for a solution!

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Shutdown your Mac, unplug it if it is a desktop. Unplug the WD Passport. Boot it up and then plug in the drive.

If it still won't mount, then reboot but do CMD+OPT+P+R to reset PRAM. Try mounting again.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Can you try a different computer? Or at least a different cable? If both fail, then your external might have died.

art_design_magazine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Can you try a different computer? Or at least a different cable? If both fail, then your external might have died.
The drive was fine until I updated both my macs to HighSierra-I can feel it spinning and its lit.
[doublepost=1517886422][/doublepost]
Remove the utilities, erase the drive, reformat it as HFS+, and try again. It if still refuses to mount, call WD and get an RMA (assuming the drive is still under warranty). WD warranty is 3 years.
I will certainly do so once I get the data off- I have 10 issues of my magazine on it and I'm under deadline

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I will certainly do so once I get the data off- I have 10 issues of my magazine on it and I'm under deadline"

Your first priority is to PROTECT THE DATA.
I suggest you take the drive to ANOTHER MAC (not the one giving you problems).
Can you get the drive mounted?
Can you see the data?

Then, the next step is to attach ANOTHER DRIVE and "copy over" the data.

Once the data "is safe", now it's time to "go to work" on the drive.
I suggest you follow the advice in reply #5 above:
- GET RID of the proprietary WD software
- ERASE the drive using Disk Utility (Mac OS extended with journaling enabled)
- TEST the drive using DU's "repair disk" button. Run it once. What report do you get?
- IF you get "a good report" from DU after doing the above, REPEAT THE TEST FIVE TIMES in succession. Do you get a good report each and every time?
- IF SO, I'd continue using the drive.

anyhorizon

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2018
I have exactly the same problem.Time Machine backup (WD Passport) does not mount after upgrading from High Sierra 10.13.2 to 10.13.4 (on Desktop). I have checked the disk on my lap top running Yosemite and the disc is fine. What have Mac done this time?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.