WD Scorpio Black with or without free fall sensor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by superatombomb, Oct 28, 2009.

1. superatombomb macrumors member

superatombomb

hi, i plan on upgrading my macbook pro 13" to a scorpio black. Should i get the version with or without the freefall sensor. I heard the sensor conflicts with the sensor built into the macbook pro and causes kernel panics.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have a Scorpio Black with sensor on a 17" ubMBP (Early 2009) with no conflicts. From the research I've done, I believe that conflict was limited to an earlier, specific model of MacBook.

Interestingly enough, this was a warranty swap for a non-sensor model. I was a bit unsure about it, but since I hadn't seen any conflict reports of late, I'd try it. No troubles at all. I even went so much as to trip it (GENTLY lowering the MBP in mid-air, but quickly enough to cause enough acceleration to trip the sensor). I could hear the head unload just fine and no KPs.

That all said, get the one without - the MacBook Pro has its own drop sensor (the Sudden Motion Sensor (SMS)), so if the drive is more expensive, it's a waste. The drive's sensor would be moot.

3. gorjan macrumors 6502

Buy the one without the sensor. If your laptop has a sensor built in, you don't need another one in your HDD. :)