Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZazenZach

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Last year i stepped on my iPhone 3G and broke the front glass. Luckily the actual screen wasnt damaged. Anyways, i went to the local mac store and the guy replaced the glass for free.

OfficeLinebacke

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2010
Maryland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Last year i stepped on my iPhone 3G and broke the front glass. Luckily the actual screen wasnt damaged. Anyways, i went to the local mac store and the guy replaced the glass for free.

Really? How long did it take? Did he do it in front of you?

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
At any rate, the glass should be able to withstand drop. The fact that it didn't just showed us how Apple screwed us with the gorilla glass ********.

Yeah, Gorilla glass my ass. I bet the iPhone 5 will be made entirely out of glass, cool to show off but not something for everyday use.

Why are you guys jumping to 'gorilla glass' again? Apple NEVER said it was Gorilla Glass. They said it was stronger than plastic. Take it out of the phone and bend it...it's strong as hell. Hit it on the floor and it'll shatter. Everything breaks with enough force. Before anyone throws the helicopter glass factoid at me, look at the thickness of it in Helicopter windshields - it's thicker than the iPhone 4! That said, I've dropped my iPhone 4 plenty of times and it hasn't smashed. Pretty sure it's designed to be strong (as opposed to weak and cracking when someone presses it).

Jeez, why is it Apple's fault that people can't look after their phones? If you smashed your phone, just accept responsibility and pony up the cash.

OfficeLinebacke

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2010
Maryland
I'm wondering how great gorilla glass is cos I see a lot of Motorola DROID with cracked glass. The only difference I can see is that those broken digitizers seem to have some kind of coating, like safety glass, that prevents the shards from actually falling out (or stabbing you in the finger) while you're using it before you go get it repaired.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
At any rate, the glass should be able to withstand drop. The fact that it didn't just showed us how Apple screwed us with the gorilla glass ********.

Heck yeah! Glass should be able to be dropped and not even show a scratch. Steve Jobs really screwed us. Class action! Glassgate! Totally non-magical and counter-revolutionary! We should all get free glass replacement for life!

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
I'm wondering how great gorilla glass is cos I see a lot of Motorola DROID with cracked glass. The only difference I can see is that those broken digitizers seem to have some kind of coating, like safety glass, that prevents the shards from actually falling out (or stabbing you in the finger) while you're using it before you go get it repaired.

After all, gorilla glass is still glass, and glass is still breakable.

BULLETPROOF glass can still be broken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.