We don't support Apple Mac ...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by star555, Jun 19, 2008.

1. star555 macrumors regular

Having recently bought my first Mac , an iMac 2.8 I am now looking to buy myself a new mobile phone , and have these Two modles of phone in mind .

1 . Motorola W510

2 . Samsung D500e

I want to buy a new EDGE enabled mobile phone to connect my new iMac to the internet
    on checking with both the main Motorola and Samsung web sites , I was very superised and
    dissaopinted to read that both of the above phones ,from Two very large moile phone manafectures
    make this statement on their web sites ..

Motorola does not support software that is Macintosh compatible and our current software is not compatible with Apple/Macintosh devices.

Samsung - Our software is not compatible with Apple/Macintosh devices.

I was hoping just to download the USB drivers for the above phones , allowing me to connect
    the new mobile phone to my new iMac. Ive also been told that I cannot connect either of the above phones by buletooth to my iMac due to the same non support problem , and its always better to connect to a computer with a USB cable rather that bluetooth, when using an EDGE enabled mobile phone.

But it seems that both the above Large world wide companys , don't for some reason support
    Apple Mac computrs.

How much more .. we don't support Apple Mac computrs will I now find ...

Dissapointed :(

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Crazy! Next you'll be telling me you can't buy a lot of current PC games for OS X!

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

palm always has good tradition of OSX support. maybe still PPC, but nonthless is supported.

Third party apps such as the mising sync are worth trying out too.

4. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I know it hurts me when we see big companies turn their backs on us like this. Even basic and simple features are sometimes just left in the dirt for us mac users. My biggest complaint right now is sony and their psp. The psp now has a online store where you can download free demos or even purchase games. Unfortunately Their DRM protection crap is windows only:mad:

The good news is that just because the company says that it's not supported. Does not always mean it's not supported. Their is usually some kind of work around. Some times a pissed off mac user will create a program or hack. Also most usb devices like cheap mp3 players and cameras will often work just fine. Even when they might even say windows only.

For your desire, to use your edge phone for internet, with your new imac.
    Have you tried to google it.

http://macncell.com/index_html/arch...reless-internet-via-your-bluetooth-cell-phone

http://www.blackphoebe.com/msjen/2007/10/now-using-my-n95-as.html

5. Babooshka macrumors 6502

Babooshka

I'm glad I've got a Nokia. They have Mac support albeit slightly limited.

6. star555 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks .. rpaloalto for the links , I really would like to use a USB lead to connect to my new iMac , as ive just tried Two friends Samsumg bluetooth mobile phones , and I am finding that I can transfer photos from my iMac to the Samsung's , but when I try and transfer photos from the phones to the iMac via bluetooth , the iMac reconizes the phones for about a second then cuts of the connection off off .

Ive just remembered the sales ad ... move to Mac. It just works:(

7. sreedy macrumors 6502a

I had problems with Samsung and Bluetooth in the past on my D500 and I think it has something to do with the version\release\standard of Bluetooth that Samsung use. I chnaged to a Nokia N95 and the integration between it, Contacts, iCal, iTunes and iPhoto is awesome!

8. star555 thread starter macrumors regular

HI sreedy , the ''Thorn in My Side '' is that the Two mobile phones I really want to use to connect my iMac , are on a very good offer here at he moment
    and a Nokia is a lot more :(.

I feel a bit let down :apple:

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

10. kabunaru Guest

Forget Motorola and Samsung, get an iPhone 3G instead. :D

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

OP wants tethering, iPhone xG so far seems not having it.:)

12. poolish macrumors regular

arent those two phones really old? i had the d500 ages ago. got a sony ericsson k850i at the mo and it works with isync through bluetooth, keep ical and address book in sync. ideal. internet was pretty easy to use through it too, not sure if it has edge tho, its defo 3g if thats the same thing not sure.

13. star555 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, Yes the Two phones are older models , both brand new and a very good price, I did make a mistake , the Motorola is a D600e . knowing my luck I will try some of the surgestions here,Then buy a phone and find it won't work on the new iMac. why can't it be easier :(

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I gather you mean that the Samsung is the D600E. That should be supported natively in iSync. If all else fails, you can build your own iSync plugin: http://en.isync-hilfe.de/index.html

15. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

:S

My Samsung E250 phone connects fine to my Mac via Bluetooth (as well as an LG Shine, and Sony Erricson), and my Samsung VP-D362 Camcorder connects to my iMac fine with FireWire, as well.

But it seems like you want to share an Internet Connection with your iMac or something... I've only used File Sharing with the above phones, and my camera displays images and stuff like normal. So yeah...

But one thing that really annoys me is when companies say "Yes, it works on Macs" when their solution is just to run boot camp and run the software on Windows. For the record, that is not working with Macs. That is working with Windows. Just like every other software that is made for PCs. Working on Macs is "running inside of OS X"... :mad:

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

17. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I got my 3G phone tethered up to my MacBook via bluetooth... I get near wifi speeds just about anywhere.
    I don't know if AT&T allows it though...

18. star555 thread starter macrumors regular

I really jumped ship to get away from MS and Windows, and I told my self I would never install Boot Camp and Windows , but now just seeing the '' hoops''
    I have to jump through to just connect a mobile phone via an USB lead to my
    new iMac , I am just wondering if I do :mad: install Boot Camp and Windows
    would that put an end to my connecting '' Any '' mobile phone to my iMac
    vis an USB lead
    ,in the future, on the assumption that all mobile phone manufactures use software for Windows XP or Vista . your thoughts and comments on the above are most welcome ..Thanks

19. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You don't have a 3G iPhone, they're available July 11th, secondly, Apple doesn't allow iPhones to tether to computers... unless you hacked it. OP, don't blame Apple for other companies not supporting your phone (or the one you want), but your best bet is to use some of the software suggested above.

20. star555 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi iToaster , thanks for your reply, I don't blame Apple at all for the short sightedness of other major World Wide company's in not supporting Apple
    but to me a person who has just switched from the Dark side after being constantly told that don't worry about their not being a direct Apple Mac equivalent of a MS windows software product , there all ways is one some where . So just seeing Two World Wide Brand producers (Motorola & Samsung ) not supporting Apple was some thing of a shock. Also me being a complete Apple Mac newbie the thought of having to '' hack'' and mess about with things at this learning point I really don't know about , also comes as a total surprise. I can't think of a logical answer to just why Two World Wide brand leaders do not support Apple ..? , also this episode has now made me '' wince with fear '' the next time I just want to get some thing to work with my wonderful new iMac , only to be told once again ... our current software is not compatible with Apple/Macintosh devices.

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

He wants tethering for an _iMac_, that is for a device that is usually staying in the same place. Whatever solution he finds, better check the cost of the data plan. "Unlimited" for mobile phone data plans is usually more limited than "unlimited" broadband connections.

22. GuntherS macrumors member

He doesn't have an iPhone 3G. He never said that :)
    It's probably another 3G Phone.

23. becstar77 macrumors newbie

I suspect that's exactly why iSync on Leopard doesn't seem to pick up my nokia phone...

24. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

now thats the real problem, looks like most carriers in US have a cap of about 5G/month. I would suggest them just telling people the truth rather than making misleading claim of "unlimited access".:mad:

25. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep, the Mac does. It doesn't say it's compatible with every or even some peripherals out there. I had a Sony Ericsson that didn't support Mac tethering and I used it (connected to my Mac via Bluetooth) for years.