We had Antennagate and Scuffgate. Prepare for Lensgate!

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Based on the leaks, I actually think the protruding camera will look quite nice and maybe a bit premium too. And, of course, there's the added benefit of improved camera quality (compared to having a smaller, flush camera).

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
It will have a sapphire covered lens. Unless you are going to carry the phone in a bag of diamonds, place it on diamonds, there's nothing to worry about.

Move along folks. Nothing to see here… :rolleyes:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
So far, based on what I've seen, I'm not all that jazzed up about the lens protruding. I'm sure there's a logical explanation but for me, its more along the lines that the iPhone 6 so thin that the components are now sticking out.

To be sure, this will be a bone of contention among members once the IP6 hits the streets

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
You forgot the reduced-gamut gate for the rMini.

(Which I think is one of the best devices in the history of ever.)

ohbrilliance

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
The proliferation of gates is becoming scandalous. Let me coin a new term: gategate.

Seriously though, the cameras on iPhones are quite exceptional and a hugely valuable feature. If it takes a 1mm protrusion to maintain or improve on the quality then who cares.

1080p

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Exactly, I wish the mods would close threads like these.
Why? Because it doesn't meet your standards?

The fact is that every time a leak shows the protruding camera lens, a large number of people complain about the protruding camera lens. It is valid discussion. If you don't like this topic, don't participate. I didn't realize MacRumors started charging YOU for all of the storage space "these threads" take up.

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
I'm prepared for spasmgate.
If they release the 5.5 some user will get cramps trying to use the phone with only one hand :D

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
A "gate" needs to be an unforeseen issue that's generally minor. Someone buying an iPhone shouldn't be surprised of it's physical characteristics.

Let's not forget it was Steve Jobs that coined the term antennagate mocking how it was an insignificant problem that was blown way out of proportion.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
It will have a sapphire covered lens. Unless you are going to carry the phone in a bag of diamonds, place it on diamonds, there's nothing to worry about.

Move along folks. Nothing to see here… :rolleyes:
Damn, I guess I can't carry around those 50 diamonds in my pocket everyday.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
A "gate" needs to be an unforeseen issue that's generally minor. Someone buying an iPhone shouldn't be surprised of it's physical characteristics.

Let's not forget it was Steve Jobs that coined the term antennagate mocking how it was an insignificant problem that was blown way out of proportion.
It wasn't an insignificant problem it was real and required a ugly bumper or some other case