We need a missed call alert app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hyr, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Hyr macrumors member

Hyr

Since iOS4 should allow it. Developers out there, help a girl out!

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

iOS 4 doesn't add any support for this kind of app.

3. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

4. CJayC macrumors 6502

5. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

It already lets you know when you miss a call. What exactly are you looking for?

6. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

So if my phone missed a call when I wasn't near it at the time it rang would it give me a visual or audio alert prior to picking it up? Answer: no.

Another iPhone shortcoming since the original iPhone and a basic feature most dumb phones have.

7. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

I don't know if you mean something like HulloMail? Its good for people who don't have Visual Voicemail (some networks like Orange and Vodafone in the UK don't provide this facility), but also alerts you when you have a missed call and no message was left.

8. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

I definitely get a visual alert when I miss a call. It did it with my 3G and does it with my 4 now. The alert shows up before I even unlock the lock screen.

9. kolax macrumors G3

An audio alert would be good, maybe 5 minutes after the call.

But I check my iPhone regularly.

10. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

So you want the phone to tell you that you missed a call before you pick it up? MISSED CALL will be displayed on your home screen. If you weren't around to hear it ring, why would it matter if it had an audio alert?

11. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

As I said in another thread, Apple fan boys are the dumbest people on earth.

12. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Since iPhone doesn't have a notification light, a intermittent beep or chirp that we could program would be nice BUT I doubt we will ever see that.

13. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Coming from someone who can't tell that MISSED CALL on the home screen means you missed a call.

14. elistan macrumors 6502a

I assume the OP means something like an LED light that flashes and a periodic beep for when the phone's screen is locked.

It's not something I'd make much use of for various reasons, but I can see it being important to others so I wouldn't mind such a feature as long as I could turn it off.

I wonder if there's an API to get phone status info? (Edit - nope. You can tell if a call is incoming, connected, when it disconnects, that sort of thing - but there's no system call to tell if there were any missed calls.)

15. Hyr thread starter macrumors member

Hyr

Well I'm not up my phonesass constantly so it would be nice to have an app that gives an audio alert every few min till I check it. Call it the byproduct of having a life beyond my phone. I'll likely have to jailbreak to get it.

16. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I use the YouMail app. It will email and send you a txt about a missed call

17. Daniel L macrumors 6502

I could understand a LED notification system but I'm really glad it doesn't make a sound. I never use Motorola phones because they were so annoying. I'd be sleeping soundly and someones RAZR would constantly be beeping after a missed call.

18. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Notification light, like say a BlackBeery? That would be nice, I guess. Since you own an iPhone you should know that the iPhone in fact does emit an audio tone that a call was missed and it does it twice more after a short time passes. It does the same thing for txt messages as well.

As soon as you press your home button, you get a message that displays calls missed, txt missed and voicemails left.... What further notification do you want?

So what exactly is your point?

19. elistan macrumors 6502a

I have an off topic question - from what I've read, to use YouMail you have to forward all calls to YouMail. I've never used call forwarding on my iPhone - do you still get real-time notification of an incoming call?

20. Ben17 macrumors member

i think she was something that allows you to notice without having to press the home button, like an LED that flashes occasionally after missing a call or recieving a text, like on a blackberry?

21. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Why is this so important to have an audio alert? Do people complain that their home phones don't have an audio alert for a missed call?

22. Hyr thread starter macrumors member

Hyr

Because I hate having to constantly check my phone to make sure I didn't miss a call. During the week it's moot because I always have my phone right by me at the office; but on the weekends I'll go for an entire day or two without looking at my phone sometimes only to realize I missed a call/s. If I'm not right near my phone when it rings I wont know I missed a call.

I know some people are obsessed with their phones and constantly have them on their person but I'm not. It would be easier to have an app with an audio alert (or notification light a la RIM) that I can turn on when needed.

Just something I'd like to see available for those that would benefit.

23. Shuntros macrumors newbie

Personally the thought of my phone making some stupid noise to alert me of a missed call causes me to fantasise about putting a sledgehammer through it.

You missed a call, oh well... Simply call back whenever you've finished enjoying life in general. Trust me, it's for your own good. **** the phone; it's your slave not your keeper.

24. elistan macrumors 6502a

Funny you say that. My landline answering machine by Uniden has a voicemail alert feature that will beep every 15 seconds. It also has an LED light that flashes if there's a voicemail. (I don't use the feature though, it would annoy me too much. :) )

25. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

What was the "call event notifications" i seen posted at the keynote this year.