We need a PC forum...

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by the vj, Aug 28, 2007.

1. the vj macrumors 6502a

Where we can discharge all our RAGE AGAINST SUCH PIECE OF ****!

You can tell there is something wrong with humanity when you seat infront of a PC and realize that is what 90% of the world population is using.

I am just coming from trying to install a wireless card in my mothers PC, my mom needed a computer and my brother gave her a PC. The installation software for the PCI card asked me for a pen drive as an option. I had another option by configurating everythin manually, when I pressed OK, there is this banner telling me that by the article number "what ever" of Microsoft rules it is possible to do what you want, go to Microsoft and read the rule!!!! WTF!!! I can not connect to the internet.

My gierlfriend was writting her tessis and MS Office was doing such strange stuff. She never touched a Mac before and I gave her one of my 12" powerbooks and she is having a blast! She is even working with Keynote and she is graduating from administration.

I need a place to let things out... WE ALL NEED IT WHEN WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH A PC!!!!!!! WE NEED THERAPHY! I DO NOT GET IT WHY THE WORLD IS SO WRONG!!!!

2. angelneo macrumors 68000

3. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

yeah, I don't know why people put up with it. I guess they don't know there are computers that really work. ;)

Give you an example. Couple of weeks ago I'm at a party with some old friends I haven't seen in awhile. I want to show them my daughter's pictures on the web (www.ceciliajroth.com). So we go to the hosts computer, some pos pc, and give it a try.

Yeah, we got to the website, but within three minutes we had to dismiss 3 or 4 error boxes (I do not now, and will not ever, care about .dlls and registries). It also told us we needed to install something to watch a quicktime movie.

Then the damn thing froze. ctr-alt-del. Ok, then the task manager froze. After a little button mashing, we realized we'd have to hard restart and just gave up.

The thing is, every damn pc I've ever used behaves this way. F windows.

4. dataset macrumors member

La Mirada, California, United States Of America
  5. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Yes to a PC Section.

We do need a proper PC section, more than just "windows on a mac"

While not aimed at the total breadth of PC news and reviews, simple "my PC won't start Help!" threads would help a lot of people.

And posting "Get a Mac" doesn't really help!

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

but this isnt' a site geared toward Windows help and troubleshooting.
    its a Mac-centric place.

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Just a little, not a lot

"Section"

I.E, a little bit at the bottom of the forums.

;)

8. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I totally agree.. there are a lot of members who own both apples and regular PCs. having a sub-forum would work well... we can also state that certain windows apps are also available for their new or upcoming mac.

9. happylittlemac macrumors member

Humm... Well I used to think that PC's where crap, I even switched to Mac's, but the shine on the Mac is wearing off. Apple apologists, iMovie 08 and just now the pitiful line up on TV show for iTunes for the UK, I'm not sure about forking out for a £1000+ iMac anymore, I may just buy a Dell instead.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Go ahead. You'll be back. However, if all you're complaining about is iTunes and iLife, I don't get it. Are those the only reasons you use a Mac? If so, then you're using them at very little advantage to yourself.

BTW- no to a PC forum. This is Mac-centric website. There should be plenty of places to talk about PCs.

11. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I think it is a good idea. Many people here own both macs and PCs, and we do get quite a few questions asking about PCs. I've visited a few PC based sites, and most of them are modding oriented and not for casual users, not to mention I trust MR users advice far more than I trust som3 1 wh0 typ35 l1k3 thi5.

Obviously we are a mac forum, however I think a "PC" subsection, probably under "hardware" would fit in nicely. It should not be, as the OP suggests, a place to mindlessly bash PCs, but a place for people to ask advice. For example, I recently was given an old PC tower which I would like to convert into a media server accessable over wireless by my mac. I have no idea how to do this, and I'd like to ask MR users questions, but I have nowhere to post a topic about it. I know the idea isn't popular, but it may be a forum may be useful...

12. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I don't think this would be a terrible idea. People post their PC problems all over and it can get a little unruly.

If there were a PC forum, at least these threads would have a home. Wether or not a forum is created, help topics about them will be posted. Honestly, I don't mind offering help for PC related problems. I think some others feel the same way. Surley MR can offer better PC support than any PC forum. :eek:

As for the bashing... to each and his own, but as someone who has been using Macs since they started with computers, I just don't think its necessary.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

With our current forum arrangement, you are welcome to post PC questions in the closest-matched Mac forum: Mac Basics & Help, Mac Applications, etc.

You may find more PC expertise at PC-centric web sites, but we understand that Mac users sometimes need help with Windows/PC problems, or have questions about the "other guys," and that this is a friendly community which is (usually) helpful even for PC problems.

We don't feature non-Apple categories outside the "Mac Community" section because we don't want to focus on Windows/PC issues nor look like we are trying to promote ourselve as a place to go for PC help.

It's a compromise.

14. happylittlemac macrumors member

Be back? I don't think I'm going anywhere, I'm no Apple Fanboy I like the reliability and stability of Mac's but they are expensive, and todays Mac are closely similar in terms of hardware to PC anyhow. PC's are much cheaper, if Mac's and Apple where so great and fantastic why are there so many Apple Apologists?

Edit: Also no to a PC forum macrumors is Mac specific site.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think it's fine that people ask a few Windows-related questions but to add a PC/Windows forum would invite a lot of people who aren't Mac-oriented at all. The trouble would be greater than the worth of the extra forum, if history tells us anything.

16. cube macrumors G4

-1 to PC forum

Also, remove "Windows on Mac" forum.

And iPhone.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

But please (for anyone who does), don't neglect to mention that you're using Windows and what hardware you have, if relevant. It's really frustrating to respond to a post requesting help with a detailed response and then have someone respond back that they don't have a Mac! :eek:

18. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You think Macs are expensive and similar hardware-wise to cheaper PCs but enjoy their reliability and stability? Hmm, guess you're learning where that extra money is going. Wait, strike that. I don't want to sound like an apologist. ;)

19. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You want help with your PC? Go to a PC FORUM!
    Not here, I already loathe the amount of complaining about OS X and Macs over the absolutely paltry of reasons. What benefit or help to the overall MR community will there be by introducing a PC (absolute bitching) forum? Its only going to distribute more flame fests and make the MR community look like a bunch of PC bashers. Although there are PC bashers on this site, which is understandable (I'm Vista basher in particular), it does not need to be given its own forum. Not to mention I can only imagine the poor advice that would come from such a forum.

Like stated above, there are tons of PC forum sites out there with people that are more than willing to help you out.

EDIT: What is an Apple Apologist? Is that someone who makes excuses for Apple's flaws?

20. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Has anyone ever been to a PC Forum?

I want Macrumors to have a "small PC section" because i prefer this site.

Most PC Forums are more intrested in giving every member a huge, ugly banner space under each post, threads quickly turn into an almighty mess.

So, a "small PC section" would be most helpful to a lot of users while still maintaining the overall Mac ambience of Macrumors.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Also to your point, every time it's been polled, the results have shown that many of us are part-time Windows users. It's nice to have a Windows for Mac Users kind of place to go for help for those of us who use Windows sometimes, especially since if we post in a forum like that here, then we can start off with, "Okay, I know how to do X on a Mac..." which we could not post elsewhere.

Perhaps if we used that kind of branding / theme -- as a Windows for Mac Users (perhaps in conjunction with the Windows on Macs forum), it would be appropriate. We could have for instance a Windows "Group" of forums, in which one is a Windows on Mac forum and one is a Windows OS / Apps forum. Or we could have a Windows forum and make one of these a subforum of it.

Would that make this less unappetizing for those who are worried about the overall impact on MacRumors?

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think there'd be a lot of unanswered threads in a dedicated PC forum. Macs are just so much easier to troubleshoot.

23. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i say only have it for a rant. i have those ****ing peices of crap. they are disgusting i literally want to throw any i see into the depths of the earth.

uumm wats a profanity filter?

24. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

A Little PC section isn't possible is it? I mean you either have a forum or you don't.

I still say that a PC forum is just not necessary here.

25. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I think it would be a good idea to maybe change the Windows on Mac section to PC help? Just an idea.