'We No Longer Have Moral Compass'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ErikCLDR, Jun 5, 2008.

1. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I highly suggest you watch the accompanying surveillance video. This is also being showed on national news including shows like Inside Edition.

Video on this page: http://www.wfsb.com/news/16497579/detail.html
    Not only did those two jerks that hit the guy run away. No one even went over to help the guy and then cars just turn around or drive by. I know people from CT are jokingly stereotyped as snobby a-holes but this really supports that stereotype. It's really shameful to see how people act sometimes.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I couldn't believe it when I read it. :(

This reminds me of that video of the guy who was punching an old man in the face, it was caught on camera and nobody nearby did anything. :mad:

3. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Recent studies have shown that whether anyone stops and does anything is closely related to how many people there are on the scene.

A solitary person coming across another person in distress like that will almost always stop and try to render assistance. The percentage that won't do so is actually very very small. If on the other hand it's a crowded area, it's common for dozens of people to walk right by and not help at all.

I don't have the link handy, but the authors of the study concluded that in a crowded situation, most people are basically thinking "someone else will get that." Whereas if it's just you and the victim on a lonely road somewhere, the imperative to offer assistance is greater because it's obvious that it's up to you and no one else, to do something.

I'm not defending those people's behaviour, but humans are not always as evil as they appear to be. ;)

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I sometimes do wonder. :(

5. Dartholomew macrumors newbie

I don't think it's apathy either. If I saw this kind of event, I have to admit I'd wonder 1) is it some candid camera stunt? 2) is this some setup for a scam/robbery? Paranoid? Yes. Cynical? Yes. Indecisive? I'm not sure.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

When exactly did society have a moral compass?

7. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

Actually there was a very unfortunate event maybe 10 years ago in Connecticut in a town near me. There was this haunted house that was open every Halloween season. A lady was crossing the street and was hit by a drunk driver and was killed (she may have been prego too but I can't remember). People thought it was just part of the Haunted House horrors and people complained to the people running it that it was very upsetting. Then they found out it wasn't part of the show.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Certainly not since everything went South.

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That is a well-known psychological phenomenon: The more people there are who could possibly help, the less each of them feels responsible. If the same thing happened on a lonely road, chances are very good that the first driver who passed by after an hour would have stopped and helped, because there was nobody else to help. With hundreds of people there, everyone thinks that someone else should do it.

And the same thing would have happened thirty years ago.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You render aid, you get sued.

You don't render aid, you get sued.

Any more questions??

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It makes me sick, but I'm not surprised.

I would have stopped and helped regardless of whether the street was packed or empty.

I once saw someone get beaten in London on a Friday morning near Kings Cross, a very busy area. This is in front of a major street, a bank, and CCTV. I don't want to sound self-righteous, but I helped, as did 2 other younger guys my age. Everyone else walked by. I had always thought maybe it had something to do with age, and naivety, like maybe I could change the world or something. Everyone else was older, possibly with children, and lived a comfy life and didn't want to "risk it all" on a stranger.

But I'm probably wrong. What Virgil-TB2 said makes sense to me.

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

There have been studies showing this phenomenon going back to the 60s, after Kitty Genovese was stabbed to death in full view of many (dozens?) of her neighbors in New York City (so this really isn't about society changing, as the police chief suggests). The attack went on for minutes, and at one point the attacker left for several minutes before coming back. One onlooker yelled, "you let that girl alone," and nobody else did anything. Part of that situation probably had to do with fearing for their own safety - but these people didn't even call the police from the security of their homes.

After the Kitty Genovese murder, there was an outcry from across the country, and the people in her neighborhood were branded as "evil." It was around that time that social psychologists began looking in to why having more people around seems to lead to less help.

So what I would say is that, as Virgil says, these people aren't necessarily "evil." Many are thinking, consciously or unconsciously, that 1) there are lots of other people around, many of whom are probably better qualified to help, 2) professional help has probably already been called, 3) if I intervene I could make things worse, and maybe end up getting sued.

13. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

reminds me of the account of the good Samaritan, except here, 20 ppl pass by instead of 2.

14. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

To this day, if I encounter someone in distress or need of aid and I don't see police/fire/meds on scene already, I always stop and stay until relieved. I don't know any other way. Maybe it's because I was a firefighter & EMT (so long ago!) and the training & commitment stuck with me, or the way I was raised, or something else altogether, but I simply cannot comprehend people not coming to the aid of others.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

hello, im from wethersfield CT, and im disgusted with the people in my capitol city a mere 5 miles away. The footage has been on the news and im disgusted with what happened.

16. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Since the dawn of civilization, when have we ever been "moral"? "Morality" only improves vis a vis the incentives provided by society.

17. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

I live up in the Farmington Valley. Wethersfield is a nice place (and where everyone moved to when they moved out of Hartford)

Hartford is in really tough shape. They have way too much crime- this, people getting murdered on a regular basis, yesterday there were the teens that stole a van and got chased by the cops and 1 of them ended up dying after rolling the car in the chase, and was it yesterday Nicholas Carbone (former Deputy Mayor of Hartford) was mugged for his wallet and now has a broken face and needs brain surgery. It's out of control down there and something really needs to be done. It seems to be getting worse. Street racing on in the streets of Hartford is nothing new either.

I mean, I see how people would be scared to do anything but there were so many people around and none of them did anything and no one called the police. I think that is just shameful. I think it's even worse just the fact that the people of Hartford are stuck in such a poor city with such bad people (not the people that didn't help, but the people that commit the crimes in the first place). My school "imports" Hartford kids to help give them a chance at a better education and create diversity in my 98.6% white town. Unfortunately most of them slack off, get in trouble, and don't integrate well with the upper middle class white suburban kids. It's sad.

18. djellison macrumors 68020

So you go over, you have a look, you think perhaps you should roll up onto his back...

6 months later you're in court as he has sued your ass for $4m for causing total paralysis by mobilizing a fractured spine.

I don't know what I'd do in that situation, but I would imagine that I would halt traffic, I wouldn't touch him, I would ask someone to call 911, and shout for a nearby medical professional.

And not calling the police? 'Someone will already have called, I'd just get told off for wasting their time'

Not saying it's justified, right, or the actual reason - just playing devils advocate here. We live in a world, a world created by the US legal system, where anybody who does something that isn't utterly perfect, no matter how good their intentions, can get their ass sued to the middle of next year. People have been scared into doing nothing rather than anything, because anything might not be the right think.

Doug

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This thread is quite sad, particularly regarding the fear of getting sued. That has NEVER crossed my mind in any sort of situation. It's probably naivety, or maybe Americans think about it more often because they're forced to. :confused:

20. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

People hear ONE story about some BS lawsuit that worked, but honestly 9/10 its a friend of a friend story...

and they think OMFG THEY GONNA SUE EVERYBODY FOR STEALING MY SHOES! (jerky boys ref FTW)

As a sound mind and body person, would YOU allow someone to sue a good Samaritan when in the same situation you would have done the same (or at least thought you would)? I highly doubt it.

Frivolous lawsuits abound, its no reason to be a callous-not-my-problem-person.

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

CNN

Lethal

22. djellison macrumors 68020

You've got what looks like a hit and run - in a bad bit of town. Maybe they're going to come back and finish it off, maybe they're going to go after any do-gooders who might be witnesses, maybe the guy's injured in a way whereby moving him makes it worse, maybe he's armed, maybe the only sensible thing to do is phone the police ( which happened ) and leave the guy alone ( which happened )

To be honest, I see a whole lot of moral outrage here, when in my I'd wager those same people ranting against all of society, wouldn't do a damn thing differently

Doug

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't know if I'd want to get involved with somebody hurt bad enough to be paralyzed.

I'm too afraid to worry about getting sued for inept help, and having to deal with police and media on the other end.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd take your bet......and likely win.

Don't assume that just because you wouldn't do anything about it, other people would do nothing as well. It's baseless. You probably just want to believe that because it would justify your own feelings on the situation. I'm certain that I wouldn't go around him in my car.