We seriously need quick reply for SMS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vandam500, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Imagine how sweet it would be if Apple implemented a way to quickly reply to a text in 3.0.

Example: You are in Safari catching up on news and you get a text, wouldn't it be nice to be able to reply right then and there to that text and continue reading in Safari without having to go back into it? The whole having to open the SMS app and what not ruins the "flow" of the iPhone.

This feature can also be used for games (Get a text while in game, game pauses automatically, quick reply text,continue playing ;) )

Thoughts?

2. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

Jailbreak your phone and get iRealSMS or download any of the "add-ons". LOL

3. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I have been wanting this forever!
    You know how when you buy an app, and when your on your home screen it asks you for you account info, with a pop-up keyboard? Yeah, that is what I am imagining. Only this can be in any app, or even on the home screen. I may make a mock-up with Photoshop when I get home. (In school now):(

4. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Not sure about that because wouldn't that require a need for a bacgeound process of sending the SMS to have it send while you play the game.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

SMS already runs in the background.

6. kits macrumors member

I would like this feature too. Just like we do now with incoming calls. After all, it's first a phone and these are the little things that should be done first.

Also, when we get incoming call, it should have an SMS option to send to that number with fixed templates like "Will call back shortly", "I'm in a meeting will call back later", etc instead of "SLIDE TO ANSWER". There are lot of phones with this feature already.

7. kzoojason76 macrumors member

That would only work if it's another mobile number calling you. It would be kinda hard to send an SMS to a landline.

I like the concept!

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The SMS app does not run in the background. Only the notifications run in the background. It wouldn't be as bad if you could hit reply and SMS app slid up from the bottom (like Mail does when you're in Safari). Then at least you wouldn't have to wait for the zoom out to black, zoom into SMS, wait for it to load... etc.

I think a quick reply would be sweet.

9. Vandam500 thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I know about iRealSMS (have even used it) but it's not the same if Apple does it:cool:

Yes it would:)

10. kits macrumors member

Of course, we send that SMS only when we know the caller is calling from his mobile and he has messaging plan :). If you send SMS to landlines, you get Send Fail from carrier anyway.

Again, Windows Mobile and I think even some Nokia's already have this feature. I used it a lot when I briefly owned Xperia X1, and HTC Fuze.

11. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I think this is a great idea. Like for each contact you could have a button that is customizable (per contact) that has an automatic response such as email or text saying whatever you want. Like you can have different profiles as well. Like a meeting profile so if someone calls you from a landline and you know they are a business person, you can have the profile send an email to the person saying you are doing whatever it is you deem it in the profile.

Secondly, that'd be fantastic for a quick reply for SMS.

12. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Agreed, it gets quite annoying more so in games...

13. psywzrd macrumors 68030

The quick reply for SMS is a great idea. I use irealquicksms on my jailbroken 3g and it's very convenient; however, it's far from perfect. I have a feeling that Apple could implement something like this very easily and it would be a much more polished implementation that the irealquicksms solution.

Being able easily reply to an SMS without closing out the app you're currently using (or having to slide to unlock you're phone) is a huge benefit when you receive a lot of text messages. To me this is a no-brainer for Apple.

14. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

kits, I am assuming you are in the USA?

In the UK you are able to send a text to a UK landline and a wonderful lady (who sounds a lot like Vicky in OS X) will read the content of the message out to the person answering the phone (pretty fun sometimes).

Although I really like the idea of this quick reply, maybe (hopefully) it's a development on the new 3.0 with it's push notifactions, or something we might see in 3.1/3.2 etc?

Would be sweet! :D

15. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

that would be nice. but to me this sounds like something better implemented in jailbreak or with standalone apps. i doubt Apple will add this feature for the 1/100 people who think it's necessary.

don't get me wrong i'm sure a bunch of people could benefit from it - but to tell you the truth i have never once thought about this feature.

16. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

Is soooooo contra-intuitive. How can you ask for that! rubbish! :cool:

17. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

exactly. 99/100 will make in-app payments, because they want to waste money instead using their iphone to reply urgent messages when gaming.

18. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

We have the text-to-landline in the US, too. I've used it a few times.

19. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Why would 99/100 people prefer to have to exit out of their app and load up the SMS app, instead of being able to reply in-place? :confused:

20. MDMac macrumors regular

MDMac

My years old palm device has been doing this for quite a while now.

21. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    this quick reply sounds good to me! :)

I was just simply hoping for some sort of a 'minmize' type feature where I could keep the alert active on some corner of the screen until i was done with the app/website/game or whatever and then click on the alert to take me to the sms app.

But if you could use background apps to actually reply to the text while remaining in the open app, that would be ideal

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

23. wildonrio macrumors 6502

I have used this feature with biteSMS and it is a dream come true. Works beautifully and is incredibly convenient.

24. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

...and not much else.

25. fishmoose macrumors 68000

This would be a great feature, another thing is when the phone is locked and you get an SMS you have to unlock and open the SMS app to show that you read the text I think you should be able to dissmiss the SMS right on the lock screen.