We should all feel thankful!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tttexxan, Apr 3, 2010.

1. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

My sister in law commented tonight we should all be thankful. Kinda puts things in perspective a bit. She helps support a child in third world country. Today she received a letter with photos.

It read "This is the best day of my life. I just got my first pair of blue jeans and our family finally got a goat. They photo showed her standing in her brand new pair of Jeans and family with brand new goat...Kinda funny hearing about the goat, but made me stop and think about the obsession over getting a device such as the IPAD.

Im very thankful that we have a very different scenerio

2. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

It's all relative. I'd bet that kid is happier today than any of us. It's nice your sister helps like that.

3. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

Great story, thanks for sharing. If it even makes us all think just how lucky we are for just a few seconds, then it was worth posting.
    I was actually just thinking this week how Haiti barely gets a mention on the news any more, that tragedy only happened a couple of months ago. :(

4. iPhilPHX macrumors regular

iPhilPHX

Good post! I agree; I'm sitting at home sipping coffee at my computer and looking forward to a nice Saturday of later hitting the coffee shop to hang out for a bit, go for a little spin on the road bike and maybe a little shopping later in the day. I don't have to worry about clothes or food, though I'm not well-off by ANY means, it's good to remember that things could be much, much worse.

I didn't pre-order an iPad and now I'm a bit regretful, but it's really not the end of the world.

5. Setter Guy macrumors newbie

Cool story, Hemingway!

6. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Thanks to the OP for this post. As I'm not in the states I wont be getting the iPad, and was feeling sad about it. But this reminded me that I have a lot to be grateful for.

7. Akash.B macrumors regular

I agree, we all should be. I rememer when we were pretty poor, for about 3 years (From my 2nd grade to 5th) where we lost all our money in a gamble of stocks. My parents were great and never let us young children notice, but I'm learning now of what a bad situation we were in. Funny thing, back then I thought a box of 'kisses' chocolate was a luxury (got it once every year) and just seeing (let alone touching) a PSP made me cool. Damn, days have changed so much...

8. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Thanks for your post It is a nice reminder that we all are very very lucky. Then again, I don't have a goat, and could never get one. Maybe they think we are the poor ones.

Wouldn't it be nice if Apple gave 5% of the cut they take from app merchants to a charity of our choice, periodically? Imagine you buy an app, and then get to pick from a list of charities.

9. NiuFengLe macrumors member

I feel guilty every time I use my iPhone in front of the factory workers at work. For some of them it is like 3 months salary. :(

I bring them fresh fruit on a regular basis as the vendor that used to come around and sell fruit a few times a week just stopped showing up. I also try and take them out for dinner and drinks once a month. I cannot imagine how it would be to have to eat the factory food for every meal, every day. It's bad enough I have to eat it once a day. I mean, it's not too bad but it is the same crap over and over...

10. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

iPhone is 500 and you say some works don't make that in 3 months.

11. iPhilPHX macrumors regular

iPhilPHX

Not everyone lives in the U.S.

12. NiuFengLe macrumors member

I paid close to 6000RMB for it carrier lock free. They make about 1500 - 2000RMB a month. Which equates out to 200 - 300 USD a month.

13. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

Ok but it is always good to be thanksful for what u have

14. MikhailT macrumors 601

It really is amazing the stuff that people in third world countries or poor countries go through compared to what our average lives are in US. The sad thing is, there are certain parts in this country that's just as bad as a third country world where they have major issues with human trafficking or sex slavery, child labor and so on. We really need to progress as a global society to a better future where everybody is equal but that's just a dream of mine.

15. Justin122 macrumors 6502

Nice thread. I'm very thankful to my parents for letting me able to purchase all the things I want, and in return I spend my money on them back as a show of gratitude. :)

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

OP thanks for your comments/thread.

Quite thought provoking when you think about it.

17. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

My iPad song:
    I want my iPad. I want it now. Toot Toot

Seriously, I am always grateful for the non material things in my life.
    The toys are just icing on the cake.

18. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Fyi

Should a thankful iPad owner want to support a kid in a similar way, I highly recommend World Vision. We support a kid in India for 'half price', in a manner of speaking. To support a kid through the US site it's $30/monthly but if you go to the site in India (www.worldvision.in) then the same support goes to the kid but it works out to around $13.50.

Just a thought :)

19. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

20. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

China is experiencing what the United States did in the very early 1900's. People were making nearly nothing and, of course, they way we handled some things caused an environmental catastrophe in the Dustbowl and massive intentional pollution. Don't forget we had child labor too at that time.

In China, it's common for families, including very small children, to pick through industrial trash dumps to locate circuit boards to attempt to recover silver, gold and platinum plating from defective waste. The industrial dumps are polluting their water tables and they're severely affecting their health trying to recover the metals. More recently it surfaced that the "brand name" USB flash drives we see coming into the US from China from places like ebay and cheap importers are actually pieced together devices made by peasants in China rummaging through defective discards that ended up in the dumps.

China's Three Gorges Dam Project displaced 13,000 people and has its own environmentally catastrophic effects for the sake of hydroelectric power. I am in no way an environmentalist but, at some point, their government needs to wake up and realize what's coming.

The US had violent worker uprisings which eventually led to the work conditions we have today. China is going to eventually end up with a massive amount of very angry people clashing with an uncaring government. Look at the Beijing Olympics. The Chinese government spent months doing sweeps forcing the homeless out of the city and then built a wall near Beijing's Olympic venues to prevent the international visitors from seeing or entering the slums.

There is an excellent documentary called China Blue about China's residential factories. One factory they observed had the workers (mostly very young girls) working 18 hours a day for 13 days in a two week period. This is from a review of the documentary:

One factory shown was making Mardi Gras beads. The person filming asked them what they thought they were and they thought they were some high-class jewelry. He explained that they were made to wear for a party, cost more than they made in a day and were thrown away after the party was over. They looked really confused.

They also showed a girl in Beijing who obsessed about buying expensive make-up with the little money she would make. Apparently, from the information provided, it's very common for the teenage girls to forego eating to buy make-up they've seen advertised.

If you want to put things into perspective I highly recommend you watch it.

The US exploited the Chinese immigrants to build our railroad infrastructure and now we do the same for our toys. Eventually China will have its uprising and the US will start buying from some other country.

21. NiuFengLe macrumors member

I cannot tell you all enough that this is the honest to god truth and there is even more to it than you could possibly imagine. I really have seen so many things since being here that I do not feel that I could possibly make you understand.

The saddest part is that here it is all acceptable and it's just the way it is. That's how people see it. There are so many things that you just would not believe that occur everyday, you just would not fathom that it could be possible. And the saddest part is that not even the people that are subjected to it see it as a problem. There are actually people here that put themselves into conditions knowing they are being exploited all because they want material things, there are people that knowingly do the wrong thing even though they know it will come at the cost of others. It is all driven by money. Money is god here and people will do anything at any cost to anybody else to get it. It is at every level in this society...

I wake up everyday and wrestle with the choice that I have made to be here. I am not sure if I thought I could make a difference or maybe I am just as bad as everyone here and it is only about the money. Selling my soul at the cost of others. All I know is that I need to find a way to tell everyone what I have seen. It truly is one big vicious circle of greed. We all have a direct hand in the things that we view going on in China. We all point fingers and blame it all on them or their government (which I am not saying they are by any means innocent). The saddest thing is that it is us the consumers who are driving it. Before you all blast me you all need to really need to think about it for a good long time. We all speak with our wallets. And those fancy toys that we are enjoying after an 8 hour work day, and on the two day weekends we enjoy, they have all have been made by someone who is paying the price. They work 12 hour plus days six to seven days a week, sleep in unheated and un-airconditioned quarters with multiple people. Cockroaches, rats, they all share common quarters. They wash their clothes in buckets and do not have enough money for soap to wash their dishes. Their cellphones are usually their best and most prized possessions. They get to go home usually once a year.

Like I said, the things that we take for granted all come at a price to someone else. And there is even more to it than that. I better shut up now:(

22. h00ligan macrumors 68030

And another 10,000 contributors got the same letter and picture to boot.

23. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I think the saddest part is that the peasant girls aspire to have a better life by working in the residential factories. That says something right there.