Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonbbas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
If you haven't already done so, you should go to apple.com/feedback and complain about the issues we've been having with the new firmware 2.0.1 on iPhone 3g.

My biggest complaint is how the new firmware auto defaults Safari to mobile versions of websites.

Also, i registered a second complaint about how slow and imprecise my GPS has become.

I was told by an apple tech person that this is one of the ways that the firmware designers evaluate the success/failure of features and changes to firmware.

So, go complain now! For all of our sakes!

mappyman

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
UK
That's your biggest complaint ?

Not the fact that SMS typing lags or contacts app lags.
Or how about there being no password manager built in to Safari ?

Anyway its the website thats detecting your Safari's header information and thinking it's a noddy cheap ass mobile and serving you the mobile version.
We all know the iphone can browse the real website though.

Anyway the correct link is:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
My biggest complaint is how the new firmware auto defaults Safari to mobile versions of websites.

That issue is the fault of the web designers. They decide how their sites handle an instance of Mobile Safari. Email the webmasters or administrators of those particular sites.

Jonbbas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
That issue is the fault of the web designers. They decide how their sites handle an instance of Mobile Safari. Email the webmasters or administrators of those particular sites.

How is it their fault if the problem suddenly became an issue with the release of 2.0.1.? Prior to that, EVERY page I viewed (as with my gen 1 iPhone) defaulted to full HTML, not some cut down mobile site.

It's a firmware issue, no doubt.

Jonbbas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008

Anyway its the website thats detecting your Safari's header information and thinking it's a noddy cheap ass mobile and serving you the mobile version.

Great, go complain about whatever it is you feel needs to be rectified.

Thank you for clarifying the link, but I assumed that macrumors members would be intelligent enough to select the iphone tab to register feedback ;)

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
My 1st gen iphone started to go to mobile sites before 2.0. although I agree at some point there was a change as it used to go to full google and amazon etc. It certainly occurred before 2.01

MathiasMag

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2008

Why would it be firmware related? The firmware will probably not intercept safaris HTTP get request and change it. As far as I know there is no standard for how to get the mobile version of a web site, so each website would need to do this.

More likely is probably that the software in Safari has been updated to provide proper headers to identify itself as a mobile device and more and more sites are implementing mobile versions and shows you that site by default when you connect from a device sending headers indicating that it is some kind of mobile device.

Jonbbas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Why would it be firmware related? The firmware will probably not intercept safaris HTTP get request and change it. As far as I know there is no standard for how to get the mobile version of a web site, so each website would need to do this.

More likely is probably that the software in Safari has been updated to provide proper headers to identify itself as a mobile device and more and more sites are implementing mobile versions and shows you that site by default when you connect from a device sending headers indicating that it is some kind of mobile device.

Then, in my opinion, whatever software change that was made in Safari needs to be reverted.

I was viewing HTML versions of ESPN, CNN, Google, FoxSports the day before I upgraded, then BAM, mobile crap sites. I hope you're not trying to say that all these sites simultaneously released mobile versions of their websites. All I know is I want HTML default back.

As a poster above noted, he experienced Safari defaulting to mobile sites prior to 2.0. My experience is different, as I stated above, my iPhone's Safari App. started to default to mobile sites after 2.0.1, and I don't like it (as if you guys couldn't already tell).

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!

I just complained about the crappy 3G reception after the update.
I have never seen some much EDGE in my life until after the update.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado

Wow, it's amazing how much people are willing to blame their phone for something that is the webmasters fault.

The website determines what kind of device you are using and then directs you to the version of the site they want you to view. It is not the iPhones fault at all other than it being a cell phone like any other. All cell phones get directed to mobile sites if the site chooses this.

ivtecDOu

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2008
mass
I must be lucky 2.0.1 is workng pretty good, a little buggy here and there but better than 2.0.

Jonbbas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Wow, it's amazing how much people are willing to blame their phone for something that is the webmasters fault.

The website determines what kind of device you are using and then directs you to the version of the site they want you to view. It is not the iPhones fault at all other than it being a cell phone like any other. All cell phones get directed to mobile sites if the site chooses this.

Try reading the whole thread next time.

I said that through the entire lifespan of my first gen, no site had EVER defaulted to mobile versions, and until 2.0.1, my iPhone 3g behaved the same way.

How could it be a webmasters fault when The problem JUST started happening after 2.0.1. Was ther some sort of top secret webmasters conference in conjunction with Apple to default all their pages to mobile versions after the firmware update?

I'm simply stating my experience with Safari on the iPhone.

In fact, the Apple Tech that I spoke with told me that Safari mobile site default, and i quote, "was a capability initiated with 2.0.1".

I just want this feature gone.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Try reading the whole thread next time.

I said that through the entire lifespan of my first gen, no site had EVER defaulted to mobile versions, and until 2.0.1, my iPhone 3g behaved the same way.

How could it be a webmasters fault when The problem JUST started happening after 2.0.1. Was ther some sort of top secret webmasters conference in conjunction with Apple to default all their pages to mobile versions after the firmware update?

I'm simply stating my experience with Safari on the iPhone.

In fact, the Apple Tech that I spoke with told me that Safari mobile site default, and i quote, "was a capability initiated with 2.0.1".

I just want this feature gone.

Apparantly you still have no idea how websites work even AFTER reading other peoples replies in this thread.

It is probably just coincidence that the website started redirecting you to the mobile version after you started running 2.0.1. Regardless of this, it IS still the website redirecting you and not the iPhone.

The website has code in it that detects if you are using a mobile phone and then directs you to the version THEY want you to see. The iPhone doesn't care what version you want to see since all Safari does is read the code that is on the page.

Understand now?

Jonbbas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Apparantly you still have no idea how websites work even AFTER reading other peoples replies in this thread.

It is probably just coincidence that the website started redirecting you to the mobile version after you started running 2.0.1. Regardless of this, it IS still the website redirecting you and not the iPhone.

The website has code in it that detects if you are using a mobile phone and then directs you to the version THEY want you to see. The iPhone doesn't care what version you want to see since all Safari does is read the code that is on the page.

Understand now?

I understood how they worked the whole time...

Like I said, I was simply stating my experience. That's what's so frustrating to me.

Over a year of HTML sites and then after 2.0.1, mobile sites....that is quite a coincidence...but yes, a coincidence it may be, as i understand a lot of people started getting mobile versions long ago.

Why would an apple tech tell me "that the default to mobile versions of websites was a capability implemented in 2.0.1"?

Was something changed in the Safari software? Can it be changed to get the sites to think the request is not coming from a mobile device?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
If you haven't already done so, you should go to apple.com/feedback and complain about the issues we've been having with the new firmware 2.0.1 on iPhone 3g.

Also, i registered a second complaint about how slow and imprecise my GPS has become.

I was told by an apple tech person that this is one of the ways that the firmware designers evaluate the success/failure of features and changes to firmware.

So, go complain now! For all of our sakes!my sake

T, FTFY. I'm not really sure why you're blaming Apple for this....Any website you go to identifies what device/version of browser you're using, and directs traffic that way. Is it poor design by these websites that they don't have a link to the full site? Yes. Is it Apple's fault? No.

My GPS is snappy and great. Should I complain to Apple about that as well?

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Google did this last November with Gmail. I got used to access the full Gmail interface from my iPod touch then bam!! all of a sudden they decided ipod/iphone users needed a compulsory mobile version.

despite the fact htere's a link to revert back to full gmail interface, it doesn't work and takes you to the HTML stripped down version.

but for a while I assure you mobile safari was 100% capable of displaying the default AJAX gmail interface.

As for the OP.. install 2.0 back and see if you get to the full sites instead of the mobile versions.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I understood how they worked the whole time...

Like I said, I was simply stating my experience. That's what's so frustrating to me.

Over a year of HTML sites and then after 2.0.1, mobile sites....that is quite a coincidence...but yes, a coincidence it may be, as i understand a lot of people started getting mobile versions long ago.

Why would an apple tech tell me "that the default to mobile versions of websites was a capability implemented in 2.0.1"?

Was something changed in the Safari software? Can it be changed to get the sites to think the request is not coming from a mobile device?

The iPhone controls nothing of what you see on the net. Safaris only job is to read code on a page and do what the code instructs it to do. There is no setting on the phone to change this. It has to be changed through the website coding.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I do have a slight addition to my post above:

There is a way to fool websites into thinking that you are not using a mobile device and that involved modifying the iPhone firmware. Mobile Safari is identifying itself as a mobile version so the trick would be to change that to where the website thinks you are using a desktop version of Safari. I think I saw something like this was back for the version one iPhone in the installer but that was months ago.

Jonbbas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
T, FTFY. I'm not really sure why you're blaming Apple for this....Any website you go to identifies what device/version of browser you're using, and directs traffic that way. Is it poor design by these websites that they don't have a link to the full site? Yes. Is it Apple's fault? No.

My GPS is snappy and great. Should I complain to Apple about that as well?

I'm blaming Apple because this hasn't happened in an entire year, and now it's happening? Why did it suddenly start defaulting to mobile sites THE DAY I upgraded to 2.0.1? Obviously you don't understand where I'm coming from.

And yes, by all means complain about your perfectly functional GPS, that would help out the Apple dev. team greatly.

According to you, I'm in a fractional minority (me), even though I've read several threads with similar complaints.

Jonbbas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Google did this last November with Gmail. I got used to access the full Gmail interface from my iPod touch then bam!! all of a sudden they decided ipod/iphone users needed a compulsory mobile version.

despite the fact htere's a link to revert back to full gmail interface, it doesn't work and takes you to the HTML stripped down version.

but for a while I assure you mobile safari was 100% capable of displaying the default AJAX gmail interface.

As for the OP.. install 2.0 back and see if you get to the full sites instead of the mobile versions.

I'll try that...

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
How is it their fault if the problem suddenly became an issue with the release of 2.0.1.? Prior to that, EVERY page I viewed (as with my gen 1 iPhone) defaulted to full HTML, not some cut down mobile site.

It's a firmware issue, no doubt.

I'm sorry but you're wrong.

I am a webmaster, and I can control which version of my website the iPhone displays.

Jonbbas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
I'm sorry but you're wrong.

I am a webmaster, and I can control which version of my website the iPhone displays.

Do you think there is a way to trick websites into thinking that i'm running desktop safari?

Do you think apple would implement such an update?

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Speak for your self mine works fine. So I'm not sure what I going to complain about. I sure the vast majority of phones work fine.

I think the fix is that the nut from behind has to be removed:D

Jonbbas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
You would have to mod the phone and change the user agent so that a website thinks you are using a desktop version of Safari.

Being a novice (if it wasn't already painfully obvious), this would be something way over my head, correct?

I can follow instructions, but I don't think I could do it on my own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.