Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Apple stopped making Classic iPods, cause they want you to buy an iPhone . They could have made the Classic with solid state memory ..... The parts excuse is just BS. Lots of people have replaced the HD with solid state

Do you have a link for that? I looked into upgrading to SSD on a classic iPod so that I could get more storage & better reliability, but I couldn't find a guide anywhere.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Although it is very unlikely, a redesigned iPod classic (same functions) would be awesome!

SkyDeirdre

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2015
I would rather have an iPod with a lot more attention put in to it from Apple. I'd like a new iPod with a great clickwheel, a better DAC and Amp to for better better audio quality, flash memory, and the ability to connect to wifi to subscribe to and download podcasts.

The iPod classic still used the 30 pin dock connector and looked a lot like Tiger OS design wise, it was a product of it's time while Apple was leaving many of those qualities.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
I hate no new iPod classic. Boo to Cook for his terrible decision to kill the product.

Once 256gb micro SD comes, I will use an Android phone if my classic dies.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
WE may be out numbered; but WE still matter.

MeeMac will always proudly represent minorities and their interest against establishment views such as yours 1080p.

The question is; will Apple hear and respond to the minority? Will Apple once again breathe life into the iPod Classic.

Or has Apple finally become once and for all; the establishment?

Think Different
:):apple:

Please stop with this bollocks. If the parts are not available, and not available for the right price, then there isn't a product. PERIOD.

Also there are alternatives that are better. The iPod Touch for example, which does everything a classic does and more besides.

Steve changed his mind on many things and killed things in a heartbeat. I actually strongly suspect he would've killed it off earlier.

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Please stop with this bollocks. If the parts are not available, and not available for the right price, then there isn't a product. PERIOD.
That is if you believe the official story.

Also there are alternatives that are better. The iPod Touch for example, which does everything a classic does and more besides.
Many people believe that. Many people are wrong. It doesn't work with car kits designed to work with the Classic. The iPod Touch has a touchscreen and no physical controls for navigating. Nor does it have the storage capacity of a Classic.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
7th gen 120GB has the 128GB limitation unless you Rockbox it. Only the 5G/5.5G/7.5G160GB can be upgraded past the 128GB limit with stock OS.

I've got an 80GB classic (I think they only came in 6th gen if memory serves) - are they limited to 128GB then?

klo6

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
Ohio
I really wish Apple would have released at least one more updated Classic before cutting them off. #1 I could've been prepared to buy a NEW one since mine was stolen :mad: ... and #2 I wish it could use a lightning connector like all of my other devices.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
Damn. 128 will do I suppose, my library is over 90 so I've got the feature turned on where itunes rips it all to 256, 192 and finally 128k to save space. What's Rockbox?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Unsettling? I might use nauseating or disgusting. Jobs can't speak for himself,and the habit some have of using him to lend their viewpoint some legitimacy is,well,disgusting. You want the iPod classic produced again? It Is.Not.Going.To.Happen. And all your"LEAVE BRITTANY ALOOONE!!!!!" Hysteria Won't change that. So drop the"Do it for STEVE!" BS

Especially since Steve Jobs was famous for dropping old products, and having *ZERO* nostalgia. There are many stories of, upon his return to Apple in the late '90s, getting rid of all old Apple items, even ones dating back to his original stint there. He was *NOT* someone to keep things because they were "historic." He happily dumped the "inexpensive CRT iMac" when the iMac G4 came out, to *MUCH* outcry. Only when the market basically forced him to re-release a cheap CRT computer, the eMac. (Which again, he dumped as soon as he could.)

Agreed - no way is Apple going to release a new "iPod Classic" - unless the market is obviously there for it. It isn't. The fact that Apple was still selling off old stock for years after the drives inside had stop being manufactured proves that it just wasn't selling.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
That is if you believe the official story.

Many people believe that. Many people are wrong. It doesn't work with car kits designed to work with the Classic. The iPod Touch has a touchscreen and no physical controls for navigating. Nor does it have the storage capacity of a Classic.

But to modernize the iPod Classic would require flash.

A 128 and 256GB iPod Classic with flash would have been cost prohibitive for the end user, in my opinion.

I was sad to see it go. I almost pulled the trigger on it a few times.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
I'd buy a 256GB flash ipod classic in a heartbeat. I just wish Apple would give us the choice instead of leaving users like me, who doesn't want or need streaming services high and dry.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

A 128 and 256GB iPod Classic with flash would have been cost prohibitive for the end user, in my opinion.

I was sad to see it go. I almost pulled the trigger on it a few times.
It would only be cost prohibitive using Apple's pricing structure, not based on the actual cost. One reason I believe why Apple wouldn't go flash on the Classic is because of what reasonable pricing of the Classic would do to the rest of Apple's product lines.

Offer a 128GB flash Classic iPod for $250 and suddenly that draws attention to the pricing of the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPads...and not good attention.

But, it's a long gone done deal.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
Maybe. My ipod is the only Apple device I own, as I'm running a cheap smartphone deal with an S3 mini to keep my monthly cost down. My mobile listening however is more important to me than the phone so I'd have been happy to fork out for it. I have no need for an ipod touch. I'm happy to have a dedicated music device and not use my phone etc.

I'm heavily investing in itunes too - I've got my 15200 strong library organised to seriously anal levels which has took a lot of work. I just want a device that will sync with itunes ultimately. Just not an iphone.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
I too would like to see a resurrection. Don't care if it has a hard drive but I still like the click wheel UI and the large capacity.

I've still got my 80 gig iPod Classic that surprisingly (and fortunately) survived a fall onto a hard floor w/o a case. Its battery barely hold a charge anymore.

I doubt it. That's the narrative Apple would like to tell, if they did.

A quick search on Amazon shows 128 gig SD cards (not microSD) for $52 and 256 gig for $95. The flash on an iPod Classic-like device (not running iOS nor its apps) wouldn't need to be high speed at all and surely, Apple could negotiate lower prices for raw flash than that.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
Apple wastes time building a watch instead of a better music player.

Exactly. Sums them up at the moment, the smartphone has, in the main gone as far as it can, so they're trying to come up with 'the next big thing' - and the watch surely ain't it. Just give me a damn music player!

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Exactly. Sums them up at the moment, the smartphone has, in the main gone as far as it can, so they're trying to come up with 'the next big thing' - and the watch surely ain't it. Just give me a damn music player!

Cook is way worse than Jobs in focusing on the needs of music fans like me. The direction Apple has been going has been terrible I think.

Soon the iPod touch will go the way of the dodo and then Apple is completely down the tubes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.