We will see android phones copy apple's antenna design soon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michaelz, Jul 19, 2010.

1. michaelz macrumors regular

I am with apple that the antenna is a brilliant design. It allows bigger battery, smaller size and more sensitivity. The downside is the weak spot location. I believe apple can find a way to improve it in IP5 next year.

Meanwhile, I think engineers from companies laughing at IP4's antenna are serious evaluating IP4's antenna. It is such an eye opener for them. How could someone come up idea to design antenna like this!

So, don't be surprised if external antenna become next trend of smart-phone antenna design.

Mark my words!:cool:

2. -PsYcHoNoVa- macrumors member

The title of this thread is not asking a question, so there is no need for a question mark. The misuse of questions marks on this forum is ridiculous.

3. coasterider macrumors regular

Doubtful. This antenna design is actually patented by Nokia.

4. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

the iPhone 4 is not the only phone with the antenna problem. people are just whiney, and will complain about anything....you know those people that sued mcdonalds for making them fat, or the people that sue a person cuz their poodle bit them? exactly......

for instance, i tried gripping my girlfriends blackberry bold in different ways today and sure enough it went straight from 5 bars down to 1 within 15 seconds.

as far as the design, i think its brilliant....just don't touch that one spot!!!!

5. michaelz thread starter macrumors regular

Really? Can you post a link to related web pages?

6. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

Nope. I think we are unlikely to the the current antenna on future Apple phones unless they find something to satisfy the whining minority.

7. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I doubt it since android is the software and phone makers like HTC, Samsung, Dell, and Motorla design their own phones and don't need to copy apple. Plus why copy a design that has a fatal flaw - you can't hold it and make a phone call.

9. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

I just made a call on mine and I was holding it.

10. ttech10 macrumors 6502

I've made plenty of calls and haven't had a single bar drop, never any call quality loss either. I still have no idea what the big deal is with the antenna thing.

11. michaelz thread starter macrumors regular

It is just revision 1 for this antenna. I think apple can improve it by apply coating or move the weak spot to the bottom. Or, some really high tech solution. Just imagine, how brilliant this design is if apple can solve this issue.

12. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

Not had any problems making calls with my iP4.

13. Phokus macrumors regular

Yes, i'm sure android phone manufacturers are just itching to have a weak spot where merely touching it with your finger tip destroys the signal.

Are all apple fanboys this dumb?

14. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Yes.

15. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

It's an easy as hell issue to fix. A simple coating removes this issue entirely.

But no, let's resort to putting the antenna inside and making our phone 40% larger just for the hell of it.

Are you that dumb?

16. PetitBourgeois macrumors member

An external antenna just makes sense to me. If it can be built into the structure of the phone, so as to not compromise the form, then there's really no good reason not to.

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Um, you might check out that press conference last week.

I'm telling you my phone has dropped a call or two because of this issue. I can easily make it drop 2 bars by bridging that gap on the outer antenna. All phones may have weak spots, but this one seems to be obvious. There are probably other factors like a weak signal that play into this, but it's way too damn obvious for people to rush into this design.

18. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

HAHA, like any company would. That's like asking if other car manufactures would copy toyota's faulty accelerators.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But given the hysteria with this problem, clearly my point is such that many people are having issues, making the design a fatal flaw. So much so there's lawsuits brewing, consumer reports still is giving the IP4 a vote of no confidence and we're seeing a high volume of people posting that they're returning the their iPhone 4.

So its great that you guys can make a call on yours but clearly that does not detract from the design flaw.

20. netdoc66 macrumors regular

netdoc66

I remember when...

Leaked photos of the new iPhone's antennae and people on these forums where asking. "What are those ugly seems?" "So very un-Apple like..." Yeah we know what they are now. They're the source of Apple's grief right now. :rolleyes:

:apple:
    Think Ummm?

21. michaelz thread starter macrumors regular

There are always people laugh at new ideas, because they have short vision. Apple just showed the industry a new idea of antenna design. It has flaws, but not fatal. It has great potential. This is what separates apple from others. Of course, most people won't see it.

22. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

off topic but they actually log that data on their on board computers and they had an outside company analyze and test it and 100% of the people that claimed they pushed the gas and it sped up, actually pushed the accelerator.. in a few cases they actually had people behind them who happened to have on board cameras and the brake lights never came on indicating the brakes were never engaged to begin with

they recalled it anyway

23. PetitBourgeois macrumors member

Thank you. Even with the faults of the current iteration, i.e., it's too easy to lose reception, this new external design means better reception across the board, and is superior for fitting components into the phone.

24. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

You know what he's talking about.

25. wreckshop macrumors 6502

You're dumb if u think a coating will solve the problem. What happens when the coating gets worn down... ever thought about that genius?