Weak WiFi and 4G Frustration

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DctrJ, Mar 18, 2012.

1. DctrJ macrumors member

Where I always had all my bars on wifi at home with my iPad 1 I now have one less bar on my iPad 3. Where I was able to connect with a moderate 3G connection I now cannot connect at all on 4G. Any advice?

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

My cellular connection seems about the same but I am getting WAY BETTER WiFi connection in my house. My wireless is located on the other side of the house from the sun room I use my iPad in and instead of half signal, I am getting full bars.

3. DctrJ thread starter macrumors member

Something is obviously wrong. My cellular is much slower and weaker. Tried restarting but don't know what else I can do.

4. donw35 macrumors regular

donw35

My experience

my new iPad has the same Wifi signal as my iPad 1 if not better and surfing the internet on the new iPad is much faster.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Maybe you have a bad unit? Both WiFi and 4G is great on mine. I wouldn't focus on the bars though as they can give false positives and negatives. Do a real speed test and see if it matches what your computers gets.

6. wbeem macrumors member

My 4G LET signal is much weaker in my house than my 3G signal. I'm getting about 1 bar vs. 4-5 bars with 3G.

On the other hand, that 1 bar is getting me downloads around 12 Mbps, so I'm not really feeling disappointed with it.

As LTE becomes more prevalent, I'll get more bars and better speed. So will you.

7. DctrJ thread starter macrumors member

is there a way to turn 4G off and try 3G on the new iPad?

8. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

There will probably be another firmware upgrade soon. This is the first time Apple is using these new radios. There's bound to be issues even though they tuned them really well.

9. DctrJ thread starter macrumors member

You are correct. They always manage to get things tweaked within time.

10. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

We're lucky we're not like Google or MS, sometimes the radios never get tuned until a year later >.<. I still remember Windows Mobile days. Those were dark days. Android still has the same issues since the companies that buy from the OEMs need to customize a ROM before the tweak is available. OTA Android updates just really don't do it.

11. Shay41 macrumors newbie

I have been very happy with my wifi. My room is in the basement, and my router is upstairs. Usually my iPhone and even my laptop get bad wifi connection down there, but have had absolutely no problems with my iPads connection.

12. wbeem macrumors member

There's a switch to turn off LTE in the settings. I think that leaves the 3G network running. Seems reasonable, as some places don't have LTE and there's no sense in running down the battery.

13. DctrJ thread starter macrumors member

I opened Airport Utility on my iPad and checked WiFi connections with my phone, MacBook, iPad 1 and iPad 3. All are sitting next to me on the table. The connection was "excellent" for everything except the iPad 3 which was "good" so something is "not so good" I guess. Bummer.:(

14. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

That's really odd. I haven't activated my cellular yet, but my wifi is just as strong as my first generation one was.

15. DctrJ thread starter macrumors member

So yesterday I had problems using my 4G where I could normally get connected with my iPad one. I'm working this morning in my office and I never had a problem getting a 3G signal on my iPad 1 but this morning I have no signal at all when I'm on the 4G network and I have no connection to Safari. I turn 4G off or maybe I should say LTE off and back on and now it appears I have a signal. I wonder if this is just a problem they are going to fix with an update at some point to get the kinks out.

16. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You do realize that just because you get a good 3g signal it doesn't necessarily correlate to a good 4g signal?

17. DctrJ thread starter macrumors member

You are correct. Here is a good one. I'm a professor and I just returned from a classroom where I often teach. I have never had a problem getting a 3G connection in that classroom. Today while the students were watching a short video I turned my cellular connection on and after it searched for a while it got a weak connection with a capital E for EDGE! I've seen that on my iPhone but never on my iPad 1. I'll probably have to return this to the Apple Store soon and have it replaced with one that gets better Wi-Fi and 4G reception.

18. DctrJ thread starter macrumors member

Question for those more tech savvy than me. Should my new iPad get the same cellular reception as my iPhone 4 in the same places? My phone works fine in some places but my iPad won't get a signal.

19. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Don't see why not. If you are in an area where LTE is supported you might get better performance.

20. DctrJ thread starter macrumors member

I'm at home now and I turned off wifi. iPhone works good with good signal. New iPad won't download a page unless I turn LTE off. Then it's much slower than the iPhone 4.

21. DctrJ thread starter macrumors member

Guess I'll be exchanging my iPad. Sitting with family at Easter with no wifi and iPad 1 and 2 and various iPhones all connected through cellular and here I am with my new iPad and the signal varies from weak to nonexistent. Too bad because everything else about my iPad works and looks great.

22. Gilly Gil macrumors regular

Why don't you try a restore first. See if that helps with your wifi issues?

23. DctrJ thread starter macrumors member

It's not a wifi problem. Should have made that more clear in that where we were there was no wifi at all. Sorry. Wifi seems to be fine. It is the 4g cellular connection only works outside or right next to a window and even then it is weak. Earlier iPads and iPhones have no problem in same locations.

24. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

That was confusing - I thought you were talking about wifi

25. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I just got back from a vacation. We rented a chalet in the mountains. It did not have WiFi but the neighbor unit was a rental also and the rental office gave me the password for their WiFi. Well, I had to stand by a window, with my left leg up, and my right index finger in the air to log in with my new iPad. My wife finally took out her MBP 13" and it had three bars every where in our chalet. Kind of pissed me off really. But at home, the iPad connectivity is fine. Should I make this an issue? I don't know. Under extreme circumstances when I may need to use some weak WiFi, my iPad may leave me hanging where a MBP would have no issue. I bought the iPad for travel too, which has the most WiFi issues.