Wearing AW on outside and over shirt sleeve cuff

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Luba, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

It's generally considered dweeb-ish to wear your watch over your shirt sleeve cuff. Acknowledged. But taking into account the design (the look) of AW could it work? Would you consider it?

AW is 10.5mm thick and I read that one critique from a blog writer who actually wore AW was that it was bulky under his sleeve cuff making it difficult to have his sleeve cuff over AW or to look and use AW. The obvious solution is to wear it on the outside, over the shirt sleeve cuff.

2. durangojim macrumors member

I have never and would never wear any of my watches including my Rolexes and some pretty big Panerai over my cuff. I'm not about to start with an Apple watch.

3. jordanst macrumors member

jordanst

You only live once. Who cares. If you want to, by all means, wear it over the cuff. :)

4. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

A gentleman would never do that.

Of course, you could equally argue that the "obvious" solution is to not wear a shirt at all!:eek: That would get you noticed too. If that's what you want.

5. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

I honestly can't even imagine what that would look like. Also, you'd be blocking the sensors, which would make you have to enter your code for Apple Pay (presumably) all the time.

6. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

That's a really weird way to wear it. I mean, it's your apple watch so you're free to do whatever you please with it.

7. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

Yes, … of course it would block sensors. Darn! There goes the "obvious" solution!

8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

So we're back to no shirt, then? Better hit the gym. :)

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Button the top button of your shirt and pull your socks all the way up while you're at it.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. I wouldn't do that any more than I would tuck my pants into my socks because the legs were too long. If the AW doesn't fit right under my shirt sleeve then it's bad design and ill-fitting. I don't care how cool the watch is I'm not going to wear something that is ill-fitting.

That said I'll be shocked if Ive didn't consider shirt sleeves when designing the watch. Tim Cook wears suits all the time so if he didn't have a issue with the watch's bulk I think we'll be fine. If we do then TC thinks we are morons and he'll end up looking like one because of it.

11. OllyW, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I would try before you buy...

A Watch Guy's Thoughts On The Apple Watch After Seeing It In The Metal

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

To be sure, just like my running shoes, I'll buy, then try, then return if its not for me.

13. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

This type of response is indicative of exactly the type of "fashion" crowd Apple will really attract with this watch.

14. DGord macrumors newbie

Isn't the Apple Watch thinner than many of the current popular watches on the market, both high end and casual? Apart from the traditional style thinner business watches which seem to be far less of the norm now than years ago, I think a large proportion of watches on the market do not easily fit under shirt cuffs unless they are loose (which dress shirt cuffs tend not to be). I know two people who collect high end watches and both have their dress shirts custom made so the cuffs have more room in order to accommodate their watches.

I'm not saying that it isn't a legitimate concern but just that the Apple Watch is no different than what seems like the current trend in watches and, in fact, will be thinner than many.

15. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Isn't that... quite a normal thing to do? Genuinely curious.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Unless you dress right, it's actually considered quite dweeb-ish as many socially-inept individuals wear their polo or buttoned up shirts that way.

17. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

OK, polo yes, but I wear my shirts buttoned up to the top every day. I do suppose that is with a tie though, I can't say I'm a fashion expert so no idea if that's a massive faux pas or not...

18. technosix macrumors 6502a

I am rather surprised that this watch is so thick and fat!

Apple's obsession is thin at seemingly all costs, why they neglected the one product that would benefit from being thin is mind boggling.

I don't see any hint of modern design on the Watch, it's so plain and boring. Yet the good news is that prevents me from buying one.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Completely different with a tie. I'm talking about how individuals like Forrest Gump wear their shirts.

If doesn't have to be a fashion faux pas if you know how to dress though.

20. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Are you all talking about being litterally wrapped around the cuff of a shirt?!?!

If so I have never seen anyone in my entire life do that....

21. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

Wear it however you want. Don't let fashion nerds tell you otherwise :eek:

22. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I don't get why anyone would wear a watch and not want it to always be outside of the cuff anyway. Ive always hated having to lift my arm and then pull my sleeve back just to see the time. i feel like the cuff should just stop at the top of the watch.

23. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

Pretty sure the OP was talking about tucking the edge of the cuff underneath the watch.

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Apple says it's 10.5mm thick, but isn't the sensor pod another 2mm ?

I've taken a couple of side views, and resized them to be 42mm high, and it's always like 12.5mm thick if you include the sensors.

Can anyone else with more imaging skill check? Thanks!

25. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

OP needs a sleeve garter. Like this stylish fellow: :)

Attached Files: