Weather Nerd vs. Dark Sky

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by Oppressed, May 30, 2015.

1. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Can anyone weigh in on either app in terms of weather change notification? Either one more accurate than the other?

2. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I'd like to know this myself before I spend the money to purchase one. Tired of buying apps that turn out to be duds.

3. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Dark sky is pretty accurate, never heard of the other app

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

5. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Dark Sky is really nice here. Never heard of Weather Nerd either until you posted. Dark Sky shows the estimated rain on the watch notification over time now, neat little graph. Very slick.

6. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Been using Dark Sky for maybe a year. Love it, although it sometimes doesn't alert me to imminent rain (or maybe I just miss it? No biggie)

Never heard of "Weather Nerd". Somewhat unappealing name.

7. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

I've been using DarkSky since day one on my iPhone. It's proven its usefulness to me time after time.
    Why mess with reinventing the wheel? I'm very content with DarkSky. Unless its a revolutionary new app that has features that i need/want that DarkSky doesn't, i don't see a reason to try anything else.

8. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Another happy Dark Sky user. It is useful on the phone but getting the alerts on the watch is wonderful.

9. ScubaDiverGirl macrumors newbie

I love the idea of Dark Sky but in practice over the last 8+ months I've found the accuracy lacking. From false positives to false negatives, it's been wrong at least 1/3 of the time. I've no experience with the other app..

10. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

Dark Sky is one of my favorite apps on the iPhone and probably the best third party app/glance I've used on the watch. I've had next to zero accuracy issues in the year or so I've been using it. Never heard of the other one.

11. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

12. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Seems the developer of "Weather Nerd" has abandoned the app? No recent updates, twitter page is dead, and he doesn't return emails. Just an FYI if you want to drop money on an app that has little/no support.

13. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I think the two top weather apps for the watch are Dark Sky and Carrot Weather. I have both, because I bought Carrot back when the Dark Sky watch app was having some issues not loading on my watch as well as many other watches. It works now, but I really like the Carrot watch app. Carrot lets you customize complications for different faces.

I tend to use Carrot on the watch, but Dark Sky on my iPhone.

Sean

14. Beefburga macrumors regular

Beefburga

This

15. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Looks like he finally pushed out an update, although still no Apple Watch complications. Im just amazed at this...seeing its a paid app

16. RansZ28 macrumors regular

RansZ28

Ive had Dark Sky for a couple years and I love it. Very accurate

17. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

+1 for dark sky

Weather nerd has gone to yearly subscription I think, which caused me to stop using it completely.

18. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

I have carrot and thinking of getting Dark Sky as well. On the fence right now

19. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I actually like having both. Carrot is the best weather app I've used on the Apple Watch, and Dark Sky is the best I've used on the iPhone. I use Carrot complications on the watch and Dark Sky in my iPhone. As far as accuracy goes, they are usually in agreement.

Carrot has the best options for watch complications, but I prefer the Dark Sky interface on the iPhone.

Sean

20. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Drops is a weather app I've been trying out recently. It provides short-term, hyperlocal forecasts (including alerts on the Watch) for around 3 hours ahead. it also provides a radar map.

21. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Exactly the same as me for the watch and phone. :) I paid the extra $1.99 for the premium Carrot - it's great on the apple watch and I have it as the center complication on Modular with weather and city and then use a small complication for wind or precip or something else. WatchOS 3 has a weather condition complication but I don't use that, but it is an option. Carrot is just great for the apple watch and I like Dark Sky for detail hour by hour for more than current day.