CARROT Weather's customizable complications

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by MakerOfCARROT, Oct 29, 2015.

1. MakerOfCARROT, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

MakerOfCARROT macrumors 6502

MakerOfCARROT

Hi MacRumors forum goers! I know a bunch of you are huge fans of CARROT Weather's Apple Watch complications, so I thought I'd detail some of the big changes that went into today's 2.2 update.

[​IMG]
    There’s a truly ridiculous amount of customization here that no other apps come even close to offering. You can change colors, switch between actual and “feels like” temps, and even add data points like UV index and precipitation chance to both the small and large slots. It also now updates every 30 minutes instead of every 60.

Options for small slot: temperature only, temperature + condition, wind, UV index, precipitation chance, and humidity. (If you're on a multicolor watch face, the temperature-only complication changes colors based on the current condition - yellow for sunny, blue for rain, etc. - and it looks awesome.)

Options for extra data point on large slot: wind, UV index, precipitation chance, and humidity.

options.png

The amount of work that went into the Modular Large slot is pretty crazy. Instead of just displaying the current temperature and condition, the high/low for the day, and either the sunrise/sunset or current location like every single other weather complication, I went one big step further and added details for how the weather is going to change over the course of the day. If it's going to start raining 2 hours from now, it says so. If it's going to be sunny for the next 12 hours, it says so. That way, you don't have to pop into the app or use Time Travel to figure out what the weather's going to be like later on.

Even cooler, when there's snow in the forecast it'll actually tell you how many inches/cm are expected for the day.

(Note that the customization options, the half-hourly updates, and the rain prediction require the premium upgrade. I've already gone into detail on here as to why the premium upgrade is necessary, but to make a long story short: each weather data update costs a small amount of money, and there are far, far more updates coming from an app that updates every hour of every day. Without the upgrade, I wouldn't have been able to offer a complication at all.)

Let me know if you have any questions on how everything works - or if you have any new feature requests! A lot of the ideas in this version came from forum members and users emailing in.

CARROT Weather, $3.99 on the App Store

2. bthompson macrumors member

Wow awesome. As someone who never buys apps I bought carrot a few weeks ago and have been trying it out. I bought dark sky and quickly got a refund. I've been frustrated by the slow load time on carrot but this update is exciting. Still pondering the premium.........

Thank you for all of your hard work!

3. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I love Carrot Weather on Apple Watch, one of my favourite apps. Great work!

4. Cricet1979 macrumors newbie

Great update! Well worth the price of the premium upgrade. I do wish there was a way to have multiple complications from one app on the watch face, but I'm pretty sure that's a limitation from Apple and not the developer. Maybe one day.

Thanks again for a great update!!

5. MakerOfCARROT thread starter macrumors 6502

MakerOfCARROT

You can have 2 CARROT Weather complications active with different data sets if you're using one in the large slot and one in the small slot.

Unfortunately, Apple didn’t intend for developers to offer multiple complications for the same app, so there’s no way for me to tell how many complications you have active at once (which would be necessary for me to display one set of data in one complication and another set in another complication). The only way to distinguish between complications is based on the design template, and because the large and small slots use different templates, that's how I’m able to show different data for large and small.

6. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Definitely one of the best native apps for speed alone but also adds choices for complications. Easily the best weather app in my opinion.

7. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

Looks like a great app, how does it work outside he US though? I'm in Australia is there the same level of functionality through satellites over radar (sorry if this is a stupid question)

8. MakerOfCARROT thread starter macrumors 6502

MakerOfCARROT

Yep, CARROT works worldwide! The only thing that's missing outside the US, Canada, and the UK is rain prediction and radar maps (you still get satellite maps, though). I've heard a couple reports from users in Australia that the wind data can be a little wonky, but that's about it.

9. akosnitzky macrumors member

akosnitzky

If I have the beta, should I delete and do a fresh install?

10. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

So if you pay for BOM (http://www.bom.gov.au) or radar data maybe you could add this as a paid upgrade for Australian

11. MakerOfCARROT thread starter macrumors 6502

MakerOfCARROT

Yeah, the version that's live in the App Store has a few extra things included that didn't make it into the final beta.

12. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

One thing I'd like to see is sunrise/sunset added to the Large Slot default complication on the Modular face. There's just about room to squeeze it in.

13. professor peach macrumors newbie

I've worked out that "Blue" is for rain & "Orange" is for sun when using the small temperature complication. Does anyone know what the "Purple" colour signifies & if there are any more colours that I may not have seen yet?

14. MakerOfCARROT thread starter macrumors 6502

MakerOfCARROT

Have that on my list of things to add in the next update! I'll probably just say the time with an up arrow for sunrise, and a down arrow for sunset. Are you on the beta already?

Yellow is sunny, purple is moony (or a clear night, in non-CARROT parlance), blue is rain/snow, gray-blue is cloudy, and just plain gray is foggy.

15. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

An up/down arrow for sunrise/sunset times would be perfect. I'm not on the beta. Thanks for the reply.

16. Minarets macrumors 6502

How fast does this load on the Apple Watch? When using the app? Obviously I expect the complication to work well.

I love dark sky on the phone but it's a huge letdown on the Apple Watch

17. MakerOfCARROT thread starter macrumors 6502

MakerOfCARROT

It should load relatively fast in the main app, just a couple seconds. I've done everything I can to get it as fast as possible, including going through the code line by line, measuring how long each bit takes, to try to shave off every millisecond I could. (The first data load may take a little longer because it needs to download some extra data, find your location, etc.)

18. Minarets macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'm a give it a shot. So how much after the 3.99 app cost does it cost to get full features?

19. parrot5 macrumors 6502

I finally bought it after struggling with Weather Underground and Accuweather. I can say that Carrot loads and refreshes much faster on the watch than the other two.

20. Minarets macrumors 6502

How often does the complication update? I travel a lot and I noticed the complication doesn't list the city you are in, which is fine, but curious if I drive from Nashville to Memphis, when does it update?...if you had the long complication with the start and stop rain?

I love that feature and its what I love about dark sky on the iPhone, buts again the watch app is kind of worthless.

21. MakerOfCARROT thread starter macrumors 6502

MakerOfCARROT

It's $1.99 extra for the in-app purchase per year. And the complication updates every 30 mins - and should update when you change cities as well. (You can check that by opening the main Apple Watch app, it says the city in the status bar at the top.)

Let me know if you have any more questions!

22. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Like the app BUT . . . I am getting constant reminders on my watch to upgrade to premium even thought I already have upgraded. Any suggestions? I deleted from my watch and reinstalled, but still getting the "Upgrade to premium to unlock half-hourly . . ." message.

23. MakerOfCARROT thread starter macrumors 6502

MakerOfCARROT

That's strange! Haven't heard of that happening before, it should only show up once and that's it. Can you try uninstalling the watch app then reinstalling?

24. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Any way to join the beta testing? I test 3 other apps and would love to try another. And the premium gets you what exactly?? 30 minute refreshes and what else?