Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonycpsu

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
Anyone know why my weather widgets would move down 20-30 pixels from time to time on their own? I have two of them in the top left corner of my dashboard, and they seem to move down on the screen. I can't figure out when it's happening, it might be correlated with rebooting or something, but I'm not sure. Anyone else seen this? My other widgets stay put, the weather widgets just seem to want to, well, go south.

skp574

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
Ditto with me too.

I have two weather widgets kinda top centre. Whenever I restart or maybe after a prolonged sleep, one of them always appears lower than the other one?!?!?

I have all the latest updates and patches BTW.

Not a major problem, but why should it do it?

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
It's done that to me as well, and I've installed the security update. The weather widget also tends to crash on me when I first activate Dashboard after restarting my iMac (I'll get a message saying so on my desktop).

Not to blame Apple since I'm sure it's Accuweather, but I've had some wrong graphics too. Last night it was about 8:30PM and there was definitely still light outside here in Pittsburgh, but my widget had already turned purple with a moon. Meanwhile my graphic from Puerto Rico was purple but with the sun out :p and I know it's completely dark there by that time.

Oh well, it's still pretty cool. But hopefully 10.4.2 will make it less buggy. :)

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i did a clean install of 10.4.1 and the waether widgets have moved since i set them up. it only a small distance and qite random. so far it never overlapped with any other widget so i don't care.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Dr. Dastardly said:
You did a clean install because your weather widget moved down 20 pixels? :confused:

of course not. i did the clean install and some time later discovered the moving widget. it's just a funny thing to notice but i wouldn't ever worry about it. sorry for not being clear the first time.

Huked on Fonick

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
1 Loop
All my Widgets are like that

My weather Widget sucks, it like 2 am and it still says it sunny outside??? My widgets also seem to do random things like not apper, resize them selves(the ones that can), move around, or appear outa nowhere. I think i am gona stop useing dashboard. It seems real buggy and its so damn slow.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
mine to.

Huked on Fonick said:
My weather Widget sucks, it like 2 am and it still says it sunny outside???
Mine move down and to the right....

Nuc

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Data problems are easily fixed with widgets by clicking on the widget then pressing Apple+R to force a refresh. Widgets on the bottom normally move when you bring up the "widget bar". The only other thing I can think of that would cause your widgets to move is if you have two monitors with different resolutions or if you have one monitor that you often change the resolution of.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
wrldwzrd89 said:
Data problems are easily fixed with widgets by clicking on the widget then pressing Apple+R to force a refresh. Widgets on the bottom normally move when you bring up the "widget bar". The only other thing I can think of that would cause your widgets to move is if you have two monitors with different resolutions or if you have one monitor that you often change the resolution of.
None of those apply for me - it seems random. Doesn't happen very often but often enough for it to annoy me :(
And my weather seems to be down again ATM

mooshoo

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004
You know what else is whacked out? The Translator widget is completely messed up. I can't even enter text. I've done the whole routine with repairing permissions, prebind, etc. and it still doens't work. I've deleted it and reinstalled, no help. Don't get me wrong, it awesome when it actually works, which is like 5% of the time.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
The only thing I can think of about the moving is that the shape of the widget is not the actual border of the PNGs and HTML source file. Meaning, when it looks like it is right near the top of your screen, it is actually positioned off of the top of your screen. When you reboot or something, it may move it down so that its 0 coordinates for x and y are 'on the grid', so to speak.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
decksnap said:
The only thing I can think of about the moving is that the shape of the widget is not the actual border of the PNGs and HTML source file. Meaning, when it looks like it is right near the top of your screen, it is actually positioned off of the top of your screen. When you reboot or something, it may move it down so that its 0 coordinates for x and y are 'on the grid', so to speak.

Nuh-uh. I have two Weathers in the centre of my Dashboard and they move around as they please, forcing me to align them again. Curses!

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
Since day one (Apr 29) my weather widgets have moved every time I logged out/in or restarted. Once I get them in place, they do fine until the next time I log out or restart.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
There's a couple of "Weather Widget is not staying put"-threads around. I answered in this one:
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
As far as I've understood it: The Weather widget (and some others) occupy a bigger space than the visible area. So if you have the widgets fairly close together they will think they're covering each-other and one (or more) will move a bit upon startup.

To see how much space a widget really takes you can with Dashboard visible press cmd-(ctrl-)shift-4 then hit the spacebar. The cursor becomes a camera that will take a snapshot of whatever window it's hovering above. If you move that in over the Weather widget you will see it has quite an invisible top and bottom "border".

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Mine have also moved about so they now overlap other widgets.

Also I deleted one widget window and then tried to put it back to see if this stopped them moving and the city I used to have "Jersey" is no longer in the menu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.