Web design company name?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by timmillwood, Apr 4, 2007.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I am finishing uni this year, and i am setting up a web design company.

What shall I call it? i need some name ideas.

2. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

WeHaveNoIdeas.com

(un)OriginalThinkers.net

VeryLazySoIHopeOthersWillDoMyWorkForMe.com

Come on man, give at least a little input here. If you can't even create a shortlist of names you like as a starting point what makes you think your creative enough for web design?

I really hate to be harsh, but this reeks of lazyness. Asking for input is one thing, but you seem to be asking others to do your work for you.

best of luck with your "company"

3. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. dcv macrumors G3

I see you're based in the UK - check out the Companies House website - you can see if your chosen name is already in use. Something like "TJM Solutions" is likely to already be registered as a limited company.

Online webcheck service here.

5. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Huffington R. Plongface Ltd.

Get registered and then take hrp.ltd.uk!

6. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very random!

Yeh TJM solutions is already taken as a company so i could register it as "TJM solutions UK Ltd" last time i checked tjmsolutions.com and .co.uk were available

7. virtual macrumors member

Web design companies thrive on word of mouth. Having a original, fun name makes you stand out and makes your clients remember you. It also gives you a solid foundation to build up corporate branding.

Take your suggestion of 'Blue monkey', pretty obvious what style your site will be like, blue, fun, a bit comical with a logo of a monkey. You could even throw in some monkey funny terms around the place to fortify your branding.

The only problem with a fun name such as that is that businesses will be less likely to pinpoint you out from other, more serious web designers. However, from word of mouth they will of course become more inclined.

8. dcv macrumors G3

Blue Monkey Limited, Blue Monkey Web Limited, Blue Monkey Media Limited... already taken...

9. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like the fun names, but they have no reasoning behind them & all the good ones are taken.

I think all the ones i mentioned have loads of google results, i want few google results so i stand out.

and as i said before if i wanted Blues monkey, i could register it as Blues monkey... web services, uk, solutions, designs, solutions uk, etc etc

I just want it to be memorable with few google results and .com and .co.uk available.

but i am stumped!

... Moody Moose?

10. giganten macrumors 6502a

I don't know :confused: but maybe:

*Crazy Monkey.
    *Speedy Turtle.

11. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

cool, like it, why do animal names sound funny!?

already taken domains though http://crazymonkey.com/ this one is funny!

12. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

13. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cactus Weaver? what u think...

i like all the TJ ones but most already taken, TJM is bad enough, but TJ is worse

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Thats an awesome one.

The rule to have the best, original name, is to take 2 words, that just dont go together.

Typically, one noun and one adjective.

Wooden Bicycle Chain - comes to mind as an example

15. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

Intentio Solutions - Intentio is latin for design

or

Textus Solutions - Textus is latin for web

16. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

How about Opti-Global Super-Hyper Mega Net.....

It says everything, you could be president..... wait make that junior vice president.....

My cut for making a company name for you is 80% stock in your company :D

17. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Textus may be latin for web, however it sounds like just plain "text" in english. So "Textus Solutions" sounds more like an content editing company or something. Yes I know the web is content, but "text" = Lynx browser. ;-)

"Apple Computer"? :cool:

18. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

precisely!

19. shecky Guest

shecky

sorry to be harsh (well, not really) but the fact that you need other people to tell you what to name your "company" makes me think that maybe a creative profession is not the best place for you to be. i agree with other posters, you are being extremely lazy and frankly, the work you have posted here (1, 2), is neither well executed nor well thought out, which is fine as you are still in school - tho it is disappointing. i think you should get a job working for someone else for a while so you can learn some skills beyond a few software programs before you try and open up your "company"

20. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That isn't a very good answer and only further points out the issues shecky brought up.

There is a huge difference between making money and making enough money to support yourself comfortably. I'd go work for someone for a while, you'll be surprised at all the things you'll learn that you never knew about and they didn't go over in school. Take that experience and then go solo - you'll need it.

D

22. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

23. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

How to is technical skills anyone can learn.

Design is not. You either got it or you dont. You can enhance it with knowledge but some people just dont have "the eye".

Im NOT saying you dont have it, Im merely pointing out that just cuz you can use an application to create and design something, doesnt mean what you make is "professional" quality.

24. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I can give you one piece of advice. Don't do "[someword] designs" or "[someword] media" or anything like that. It's so cliche now and very unoriginal.

And like others have said, you are better off getting more experience working for a company rather than just starting with nothing. That doesn't mean you can't get a head start on working for yourself. You can freelance on the side and have a personal (company) website that has your portfolio and stuff. It's nice to have dreams and a vision, but unless you are one of the most talented designers around, you are better off getting experience by working with professionals first.

25. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Second!

Freelancing on the side can be a great source of income (paid for my macbook pro!), but starting your own company from scratch and making a living is very hard.

I also agree with that "something" design/media names. Ditto to "solutions"