Web Hosting Reviews

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by shadownddust, Jan 27, 2009.

1. shadownddust macrumors member

I'm looking into starting a website and I've been trying to find a good hosting site, but I can't find any unbiased reviews. Most of the google results are either sponsored, or the websites themselves are hosted on the "top" hosting company. Something about that seems fishy. Anyone know of a good hosting review site?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I think the web hosting talk site is considered a decent resource for reviews. This is a topic that comes up routinely so search the forum as well for past threads that cover this.

3. shadownddust thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, this looks like a pretty reputable site.

4. theappleguy macrumors 6502

Definitely do a search as it is a common question. Also, take a look at the hosts listed in this thread. They have been recommended by Mac Rumors forum members - although some of the recommendations will be quite old so bare that in mind. :)

5. JohnBuer macrumors newbie

I agree with the above poster.
    I use hostgator for all my needs [​IMG]

Cant go wrong with them. The service is great. The package is great.

JB

6. Tholian macrumors member

I would recommend that you pay attention to how the web host works with the technology that you will be using. For example I have noticed GoDaddy works well with static pages, but once you move to a database driven site (Joomla for example) the performance takes a big hit. If you expect a lot of traffic will you have a dedicated or a shared host? Will they allow you to instal your own applications? You might even try calling their technical support line with a few questions just to see how helpful they are. (But don't overburden them if you are not paying for anything yet.) Despite my criticism I have been generally happy with GoDaddy.

7. JohnBuer macrumors newbie

I do hear good things about godaddy too. [​IMG]

Maybe I will use them for my next project as I do have most of my domains hosted there.

JB

8. theappleguy macrumors 6502

GoDaddy is good for domains, but their hosting services generally don't get much positive feedback. :)

9. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

A Small Orange = amazing.

Very highly recommended among users here at MacRumors. I've never seen a bad review.

11. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

2nd that, I would NOT go to any other hosting site :D

12. bobbyrockets11 macrumors newbie

Hostgator hands down... [​IMG] lol - works for me anyway!

13. torndownunit macrumors regular

This is a very good site. Through them I found Cartika Hosting, who I have been extremely happy with. The hosting has been great, and the tech support is probably the best I have experienced.

14. ryanjm27 macrumors newbie

I also use A Small Orange and have nothing bad to say. Easy to use and set up and incredibly inexpensive.

I've found GoDaddy's hosting to be ok performance-wise (for small sites) but have difficulty finding and tweaking the settings.

15. manadospace macrumors newbie

you can find at webhostingtalk, Sticky forums is best of choice, gud luck