webcams?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cjonesrocks10, Feb 25, 2008.

1. cjonesrocks10 macrumors newbie

cjonesrocks10

hey, forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this but i need HELP!

i want to get a webcam for my mac but can't seem to find any but the isight. is the isight the only cam that will work on a mac?

i want something small and connects to a usb.

could you give me some links to webcams for macs!

thanks!

2. sowillo14 macrumors regular

I just use a quickcam for my wife's mini. It works well with skype, but since upgrading to 10.5.2, it doesn't work with photobooth anymore.:confused:

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The XBox 360 camera is perfect; I use one for my wife's G5 iMac.

4. cjonesrocks10 thread starter macrumors newbie

cjonesrocks10

5. cjonesrocks10 thread starter macrumors newbie

cjonesrocks10

will the quickcam pro 4000 work for 10.5.2? i was looking at software and it has stuff for like 10.2 and up. can you guys give me some links to software for the quickcam pro 4000 so it will work for the newest OS X

thanks!

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It's been discussed quite a bit here on other threads, so a little searching will help. In the meantime, take a look at this resource.

7. cjonesrocks10 thread starter macrumors newbie

cjonesrocks10

hey guys i founded the software for mac and the camera! thanks for helping me on this! i would still be looking if you guys didn't help!

thanks alot!:cool:

8. macintel4me macrumors 6502

I have the Logitech QuickCam 9000. It was a built-in microphone and works pretty well. Missing features like zoom and doesn't work at high of a resolution as the webcam is capable of, but still better quality than an iSight. You can get it for around $70-$80.

9. MaciPilot macrumors newbie

Check out the Logitech Mac version

I just answered another thread with this comment:
    I'm also in the market for a Mac compatible webcam for my iMac G5. I was at the Apple Store today and asked if they sell a Mac version webcam. The salesman went in the back room and came out with a Logitech Quickcam Ultra Vision that said Mac in the lower right corner of the box. This Mac version is not on the Logitech website, but it does exist. It's on the Apple website. Go to Store>Shop Mac>Accessories>Extras. The part number is 960-000172. The windows version is 960-00016. Apple sells it for $129.95 and free shipping. PC Connection also sells it. Their price is $119.95 with free shipping. There is a $45.00 rebate on the website, but it's only for the Windows version (960-000016). It's a USB 2.0 connection, has a 1.3MP HD (960x720) video camera and 1280x960 stills. Supports 16-bit color and up to 30 fps. It has a built-in mic that is echo free. It supports iChat, AIM and probably Skype and Google. It is not compatible with PhotoBooth or iMovie. It requires OS 10.4.11 or later. The lens is fixed focus. I have not purchased it yet, but I probably will soon. If anyone else gets one, a review would be appreciated.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...ac_accessories/extras&nplm=TQ594LL/A#overview

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Sho...019&oext=1038A&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8328019

10. Nordichund macrumors 6502

11. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

The external isight is still the best, and will work with all OS.

I bought one from ebay at a ridiculous price for my soon-to-be MP. Sad truth, but it works wonderfully, and I have a peace of mind since I know it will work perfectly with any Mac.

12. MaciPilot macrumors newbie

aGent

Wow! What a find! Looks like it was just released. It's shaped like the original iSight. By the way it's presented on the website, I would say it was specifically designed for the iMac G5 before the built-in cam was available and for those people who didn't get around to purchasing an iSight before Apple discontinued it. If this webcam performs as advertised, I would hope The Apple Store would stock these. I hope someone reviews this soon, because I normally like buying items like this at a brick and mortar store, in case there's a need to return it. A few dollars in gas is preferable to shipping charges.

As for comparison to the Logitech Quickcam Ultra Vision for Mac, the aGent V3 gives you 2.0MP instead of 1.3MP, up to 5.0MP stills (not interpolated), instead of 4.0MP stills, and compatible with PhotoBooth. Also, currently with free shipping, it's only $10 more than the Logitech.

13. macintel4me macrumors 6502

I noticed today that I has getting 20 fps during iChat. I have a Logitech QuickCam 9000

14. Nordichund macrumors 6502

It is very strange, I have been doing some more net searching and cannot seem to find a thing about this company or a single review about the product from an objective source. I see they are selling on ebay and another australian auction site. But that's it and it makes me very suspicious.

15. cjonesrocks10 thread starter macrumors newbie

cjonesrocks10

hey guys thanks for all the help. i need some help with this cam now the Phillips SPC900NC. it can work on macs if you get a drriver. i found one driver but it cost 20$ i don't now if that monthly or just one payment and done. but i was wondering if there is any other driver that will work for the cam (Phillips SPC900NC)

thanks

here is the driver i foudn that was 20$ http://www.ioxperts.com/products/webcamx_1.2.html

16. titangears macrumors member

titangears

Have you tried the macam driver? Its free:

http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/

I would like to know if it works..

17. MaciPilot macrumors newbie

Found some aGent V3 reviews!

I finally found some aGent V3 reviews! They are from users, maybe not what you were hoping for. All 3 reviews got 5 out of 5 stars http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=54367#GOOGLE_REVIEWS . The reviewers only contrary remarks are that due to the steel casing it is a bit heavy, and one reviewer wished it had a magnetic mount (the iMac G5 has a metal area on top where the Apple iSight could magnetically mount).

Here are the 3 reviews:
    February 9th, 2008
    Pros: Looks awesome with the steel encasing and great quality picture, works on my Mac and PC
    Cons: Quite heavy compared to the plastic models, which seems to be because of the steel encasing.
    Overall: Ive got the V3 but couldnt find it on this review page. I love that it comes with a notebook clip and iMac LCD screen clip as well as the desktop stand. I havent found another webcam that provides Mac and PC support and this one works perfectly on both!

Reviewer: Reggieblack

January 21st, 2008
    Pros: Looks so very stylish with the silver metal shell and white cords and accessories to suit my mac. Quality is great and easy to use.
    Cons: Not much to not like about it really. It came with 3 different clips but a magnet clip would be good too.
    Overall: I was immediately attracted to this webcam as I was trying to find the iSight but it seems Apple don't sell it anymore. I found this through a link in a forum for the V2, but when I got to the website it only showed the V3 must be the new model, so I bought that one. They shipped it to me very fast and the package as a whole is very impressive. I love how everything suits my white Mac. USB cord is white as are the clips. Brilliant quality video and is plug and play. I was worried it wouldnt work on ichat because its a usb webcam but it works perfectly. Its great that there is a quality alternative mac compatible webcam on the market. About time!

Reviewer: johnnyd

Is this review helpful or unhelpful for you?

January 17th, 2008
    Pros: Fantastic quality webcam and works like a dream on my Mac. And looks awesome too!
    Cons: Steel body makes it heavier than the average webcam
    Overall: I love it. So glad I bought this one. Was a bit hesitant because they only sell direct online but there service was exceptional and answered all my questions and there was heaps on the website so I took the punt. Its a great webcam with a beautiful picture and so stylish, matches my Mac perfectly.

Reviewer: bugalugs

Well, at least it's something!

18. Nordichund macrumors 6502

Thanks for that, the fact that it works on both Mac OSX and Windows makes it a very interesting product. Though I did manage to pick up a very reasonably priced 2nd hand, almost never used iSight otherwise I would probably have bought the V3.

19. peejack macrumors 6502a

That "resource" is **** I brought this Creative Live! Cam Optia AF (Auto-Focus + Mic) like they said and it doesn't work. :mad::mad:

20. peejack macrumors 6502a

Are you using leopard 10.5.2? What system?

21. macintel4me macrumors 6502

After further review, sometimes I get 6 fps and sometimes I get 20 fps. It seems to be dependent on the person I am having my iChat with. Weird.

I am on 10.5.2 (with all updates) on a 6GB RAM, 8-Core, 1TB HD, Mac Pro. Yes, I'm really just showing off my system. :)

22. peejack macrumors 6502a

Thanks, and this camera works in iphoto etc... with no maccam drivers needed? just plug and play?

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

really...finding an iSight doesn't seem terribly hard eBay or Amazon?

24. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

I use the Microsoft NX-600 that I use to use on my PC for Skype on my mac. iChat always says my camera is in use by another application. *shrug*

25. peejack macrumors 6502a

It's not about finding it, it's about the stupid price.