Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Cisco today announced that its Webex Meetings app will soon be available for the Apple TV, allowing for video conferencing on a TV.

Apple-TV-2x2-Feature.jpg

tvOS 17's new Continuity Camera support will allow Webex users to wirelessly connect their iPhone or iPad to the second-generation Apple TV 4K or newer and use the device's camera and microphone to participate in meetings. After installing the Webex app on the Apple TV, users will scan a QR code on the TV with their iPhone to log in.

Apple previously announced that video conferencing apps like Webex and Zoom would launch on the Apple TV later this year. Continuity Camera is the same feature that powers Apple's own FaceTime app for video calls on tvOS 17.

Article Link: Webex App Will Soon Be Available on Apple TV for Video Conferencing

Reactions: Siledu

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
This is great. Hopefully all of the others add the ability too. And I'll third building an ability to use wired cameras so that there can be a dedicated one instead of leaning on mobile devices sometimes not available. Resurrect the old iSight, reinvented with modern technology, add a normalized USB-C port to AppleTV and maybe power the thing via either that port of a USB port on some televisions.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Very cool. I will definitely try this out. I wonder how sharing would work.....maybe not at all? Could I share from my Mac? Btw - in all the Webex meetings I almost never use the camera but sharing most of the time...

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Continuity camera is a good first step, but I hope Apple adds support for external cameras and mics via the usb-c port in tvOS 18.

What external USB-C port? The Apple TV 4K hasn't had a USB port of any kind for the last two generations.

What Apple seems to be doing by including Thread in the newest Apple TV is to adopt the upcoming Matter standard update for cameras so that Thread/Matter enabled cameras can work with Apple TV.

tuckerjj

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
What external USB-C port? The Apple TV 4K hasn't had a USB port of any kind for the last two generations.

What Apple seems to be doing by including Thread in the newest Apple TV is to adopt the upcoming Matter standard update for cameras so that Thread/Matter enabled cameras can work with Apple TV.
Oh wow, you’re right, I just checked mine! I hadn’t realised they’d removed that. I guess wireless is more “Apple” anyway. I just hope that it’s as reliable 😬

Reactions: gk_brown

iFunk

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2022
We have used FaceTime via AppleTV thus far and it has been fantastic. It is somewhat crazy that video conferencing is getting better and better and many employers are ramping back up return to work. I'm remote 2 days a week which is fine by me.. 3 days a week would be great but no complaints here.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Oh wow, you’re right, I just checked mine! I hadn’t realised they’d removed that. I guess wireless is more “Apple” anyway. I just hope that it’s as reliable 😬

Continuity Camera isn't something I would have though I'd want to rely on, but during a live broadcast for a client, one of my Sony cameras went offline and in a pinch, I threw my iPhone on the tripod and holy crap, it worked like a charm. It used Center Stage to zoom in on the subjects and follow them around on set. Apple has wireless video figured out.

Reactions: tuckerjj

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Anyone else notice the woman in the upper right is also in the scene in the lower right -- but not doing or wearing the same thing?

If you have a working teleconferencing app, why would you mock up its usage? Just use the thing!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Something tells me we are getting an Apple TV with built in camera.

This idea flies every time but think it through. If your AppleTV is hanging right above or right below your TV, then great. Camera will be in the right place. Else, simulate this by starting a FaceTime call with anyone and propping up your iDevice wherever you currently have your AppleTV now. Be sure the camera points in the same direction as where this hypothetical AppleTV camera would be now. See how that goes.

Unless camera is right above or right below screen, the person on the other end will be seeing you looking left or right... or not at all for those who mount their AppleTV behind their TV (vertically). The flaw in this idea is that it DEMANDS very specific placement of AppleTV. Else, FaceTime won't work well because you won't be looking right at the camera while looking towards the TV.

I like the idea of a hardware-based, direct-link camera to AppleTV... but use a wire for that, so that the camera can be positioned in the optimal spot regardless of where one wants their AppleTV (and that camera can be powered over the same wire).

And yes, that means new AppleTV that resurrects a USB-C port. If so, normalize that port to also resurrect the ability to add storage and sync media to that storage... so that it is at the AppleTV instead of back at a Mac (for those who want sync resurrection too).

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
This idea flies every time but think it through. If your AppleTV is hanging right above or right below your TV, then great. Camera will be in the right place. Else, simulate this by starting a FaceTime call with anyone and propping up your iDevice wherever you currently have your AppleTV now. Be sure the camera points in the same direction as where this hypothetical AppleTV camera would be now. See how that goes.

Unless camera is right above or right below screen, the person on the other end will be seeing you looking left or right... or not at all for those who mount their AppleTV behind their TV (vertically). The flaw in this idea is that it DEMANDS very specific placement of AppleTV. Else, FaceTime won't work well because you won't be looking right at the camera while looking towards the TV.

I like the idea of a hardware-based, direct-link camera to AppleTV... but use a wire for that, so that the camera can be positioned in the optimal spot regardless of where one wants their AppleTV (and that camera can be powered over the same wire).

And yes, that means new AppleTV that resurrects a USB-C port. If so, normalize that port to also resurrect the ability to add storage and sync media to that storage... so that it is at the AppleTV instead of back at a Mac (for those who want sync resurrection too).

It’s a good point, but I think the problem is very solvable with Center Stage and that “maintain eye contact” feature Apple uses in FaceTime.

Or they could release an TV that fits on top of the TV 🤷🏼‍♂️

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
It’s a good point, but I think the problem is very solvable with Center Stage and that “maintain eye contact” feature Apple uses in FaceTime.

Or they could release an TV that fits on top of the TV 🤷🏼‍♂️

Even with Center Stage, just try it now with Continuity Camera... but put the iDevice camera wherever you currently have your AppleTV. You'll see the problem really quickly... or, more specifically, those on the other end will see the problem "scary fast" because odds are high you won't look like you are roughly looking at them... UNLESS you happen to have your AppleTV right under or right over your TV now.

I could be wrong but I would guess most people do NOT have their AppleTV right over or right under the TV screen and many don't even have any part of their AppleTV visible (it's behind the TV, in a cabinet, behind other stuff, etc).

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
In my experience, Cisco (and their partners) are the only one's that actually use Webex. It used to be the gold standard, and now it's trash.... the only time I ever use it is when I need to screenshare with Cisco TAC.

Reactions: Baritone_Guy

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
In my experience, Cisco (and their partners) are the only one's that actually use Webex. It used to be the gold standard, and now it's trash.... the only time I ever use it is when I need to screenshare with Cisco TAC.

Apple uses WebEx internally.

I also used it for school all through Covid and never had an issue 🤷🏼‍♂️

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Apple uses WebEx internally.

I also used it for school all through Covid and never had an issue 🤷🏼‍♂️
"Trash" is an exaggeration. For the average end-user, it's.... fine. Video meetings work acceptably. But on the admin side, it's a licensing rat's nest, and a hodgepodge of legacy products, jammed together and regularly renamed to match whatever nonsense marketing jargon Cisco has adopted this year.

I've no idea if or to what extent Apple uses it, but I'm not surprised. They're a big name and have a TON of momentum on their side. If you had asked me 10 years ago, or even at the start of the pandemic, I would have bet BIG on webex. They were the "IBM of" collaboration software. But Cisco is too big, too uncoordinated, and did the most IBM thing in the world.

Baritone_Guy

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2021
"Trash" is an exaggeration. For the average end-user, it's.... fine. Video meetings work acceptably. But on the admin side, it's a licensing rat's nest, and a hodgepodge of legacy products, jammed together and regularly renamed to match whatever nonsense marketing jargon Cisco has adopted this year.

I've no idea if or to what extent Apple uses it, but I'm not surprised. They're a big name and have a TON of momentum on their side. If you had asked me 10 years ago, or even at the start of the pandemic, I would have bet BIG on webex. They were the "IBM of" collaboration software. But Cisco is too big, too uncoordinated, and did the most IBM thing in the world.
When the pandemic hit we had WebEx as the official solution and had only recently enabled Teams. Our users (~15K) selected Teams all on their own organically.

Our Cisco rep was pissed when we cancelled, but I told him it was the users and not us. Not sure he ever believed me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.