Website Critique

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by N16K NE, Aug 27, 2010.

1. N16K NE macrumors member

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

3. N16K NE thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your note.

I have changed A LOT over the past few years:

intro screen
    logo
    page layout
    links
    grouping the categories of work

However, it is hard to see the differences as I have not taken screenshots...

The reason for starting a new thread was due to the need to fresh ideas.

4. manueld macrumors 6502

the site still lacks cohesion in every aspect: colors don't match, the fonts utilized from the family, color, and sizes doesn't work, your logo is still illegible, and i won't get started with the issues with your coding.

To be honest, if you we're looking for a job as a professional web developer and you showed me this as your portfolio, I wouldn't hire you.

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

And just because you changed things....

YOU DIDNT CHANGE THEM ACCORDING TO ANY ADVICE.

6. designguy79 macrumors 6502

I would definitely work on organizing / aligning the items in a better way. It feels disjointed and unorganized.

http://desktoppub.about.com/od/designprinciples/a/alignment.htm

Also, what is the significance of the necklace on the home page? It feels out of place.

In my opinion, the justified font makes the text hard to read and a little goofy with the wide range of spaces / kerning.

Speaking of kerning, I don't care for the way you have a myriad of font sizes and kerning in the headlines ("Who are we"). And having the letters all smashed closer together is a trend from 2007/2008 that I would recommend not using.

http://css-tricks.com/helvetica-bold-big-negative-letter-spacing/

Have fun!

~ Jeremy

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Before you post some "advice" for this guy, read the topics I linked to.

More than likely your concerns were addressed, ignored, and glossed over the LAST time he asked for a critique.

Its been quite a long road, OP, and you aint done anything but drive straight...off a cliff. :confused:

Fact: you say you've changed the site, and I dont see much changed regardless of the last time I saw it...but I remember enough to know its not changed ENOUGH. Especially considering you continually fail to listen to any coherent advice about how to make your site less......less.....less what it is right now. Because what it is right now, and was before, truly is awful in most all respects. From design, to navigation, to layout and code.

Changing what youve changed did NOT change your site at all. Moving links around is not the issue you seem to not get...its that the design overall is atrocious.

8. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I've been Senior Creative for the last 7 years now, so here's my input...

I'll say what I've said before...

1) The navigation feels clunky, it just doesn't seem to flow... Plus there's no rollover.

2) The alignment seems off and really inconsistent, there seems to be no uniform flow throughout the site.

3) Simplify the font. I can count 5 different fonts you are using, it's too many... Use one or two and consistently use it through the entire site.

4) The menu doesn't seem to be order well, it doesn't seem to follow logical flow.

5) The overall navigation seems bloaty, for me to look at a logo it takes 6 clicks from the front page. IMO It's just too many.

6) Some of those headings the kerning is by far too tight, they are unreadable.

7) It just seems dated, it reminds me of the decore and Neutrogena (specifically the Jennifer Love Hewitt ads) branding in the back of women's magazines back in the early 90's.

8) Nothing seems to just "gel" together, it seem hap-hazardly placed. If something doesn't have significance why add it.

9) The logo and heading are still a grape of mine, they are mostly unreadable.

10) It feels as though you're grabbing design ideas you like and just add them to the portfolio, this is not a good thing... There's a little grunge, a little Swiss and a mix of eclectic design fads from each year (ala postit is so 08). Any designer can copy an idea, and brilliant designer can steal ideas but make it their own ;)

My suggestion would be scrap iWeb because it is just plain bad for professional portfolios. Try Wordpress, to make it easier here's 100 of the best.

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I can sum up everything from this topic and the last one:

start over.

its terrible.

follow the advice given.

:cool:

10. Arganos0 macrumors member

@OP,

I'm not a professional web developer, rather just a hobbyist. However, I noticed some things:

1) Are you using iWeb?

Code:
    <meta name="Generator" content="iWeb 2.0.4" />
    Now it looks as if you're trying to make an official website for the company? I wouldn't do it with iWeb. Get Dreamweaver, Coda or any other editor and start from scratch. Basic CSS and HTML should get you quite a way.

2) It somehow feels a bit cheap. Like a very bad ad. If you want some inspiration to see what good sites look like, go to css zen garden.

11. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

It's a start, but it doesn't look like much has changed(i looked over the other threads previously)

One big un-oh is what happened to the portfolio section?
    You're a design company, you need to show SOME of your work at the very least.

Lastly, your site takes a noticeable amount of time to load, you need optimize those images a bit better.

12. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

That would be from using iWeb ;)

13. N16K NE thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your help again.

I've had a look at the menu / browsing funcitons, and got rid of a few pages...

Let me know how the navigation works now?

Thanks for your help.

14. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Sorry if I come off as a bit of a wanker but I think it's always important for someone to be harshly criticized as well as politely criticized. It's just the way I like to receive feedback so since you've already received the politer side of criticism, I'll be harsh ;)

1. Stop using iWeb
    2. Learn to code properly
    3. Stop putting styles in your HTML
    4. Why is your domain a .org? Are you a non-profit / voluntary design company?
    5. Logo is illegible and it's in... quotes?
    6. The background in your header makes no sense, why is it grungy?
    7. Two lines of navigation? Why doesn't your header link to your home page?
    8. Your navigation.. "services" isn't even on the same baseline as the rest of your nav
    9. The copy in event graphics and marketing literature is an image for some reason
    10. Your IA makes no sense
    11. It's not even optimized for a 1024x768 browser. That tells me you're not very current with web standards.

From your site at first glance, if I was a client, you've given me 0 reason to hire you.

15. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

"Please click on a client logo to access a sample from their portfolio." Why? :confused: You are showing your portfolio, not their company. Unless you took the pictures, I don't see why you are putting pictures of their company on your portfolio site.

You have too many colours, I don't know what's clickable and what's not. Atleast make a rollover.

Did you take the pictures of the cars in the print section? Why is it even on the site? Put a caption so the user know what they are looking at.

16. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Start from scratch, using the advice thats been, now, shoved down your throat repeatedly from multiple independent sources.

Obviously you are attached to your design...well stop. Its terrible. Theres little redeeming qualities to it.

So if YOU have redeeming qualities...put them into a new design and they will shine thru.

Until then, this repeated: "I made the changes you suggested, but not really" is boring.

17. N16K NE thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your feedback!

1. / 2. / 3. iWeb and basic web is all I know. Grapevine-Design is a hobby I have....It is not my career. However, I am wanting for it to come across as professional as possible on my BASIC html knowledge. iWeb does fine for me.

4. When I looked into the name of Grapevine-Design the only domain name available that I thought was best was .org. (.com/.co.uk were taken)

5. My logo has changed a few times over the past year. The logo as it is now I am happy with.

6. To be honest with you...I didn't want white space...and pattern/design what is what I have knocked together..any thoughts?

7. Very good point. Changed.

8. Mis-alignment from chopping and changing alot...missed that aligment. Changed.

9. Strange. The copy is as text in iWeb. ... Is it showing as pixelated?

10. Forgive my ignorance (as stated...a hobby rather that professional career) what is I.A?

11. See 10....

Thank you for your very constructive feedback.

Nick

18. N16K NE thread starter macrumors member

The photographs were taken by Grapevine-Design. I have now changed the wording. This make more sense?

The cars.....if you click on before and after....it is design. Before = plain photograph. After = Photoshopped design work for high-end vehicle modifiers. On behalf of DigiMods.

Thanks for your constructive feedback.

Nick

19. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Sounds like a paradox IMHO.

Information Architecture, it's expressing how concept is used for activities within a situation.

20. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

"iWeb does fine for me."

obviously it does not.

have you even attempted to think outside the narrow box you've confined yourself and your "brand" to?

sticking yourself in a corner by only using iWeb while trying to "maintain the air of professionalism" aint working.

Then you should have waited for theirs to expire or changed your naming structure or changed your name. Thats the way it works. ".org" is basically being misused for its intended purpose on your site.

A logo that isnt effective isnt effective. Listen to people other than yourself. That tells you if a logo/brand works. If you like it, great. But if no one else does, how can you expect anyone to even care about your business?

Ignoring the need for whitespace is the hallmark of a ______ (whatever noun you want goes here)

Hobby, not career...but you want professional and you want to be a business...not really going hand in hand here when the business is at its core about being professional even when its a hobby.

21. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

iWeb and Professional do not go together regardless of what Apple tells you.
    What you're doing is like me going out and saying I can repair electrical on a car because I read an article on how to take care of that stuff and I have manual that will help me.

Total bullcrap.

22. N16K NE thread starter macrumors member

Please let me know from my fresh revamp from my logo.

Please let me know any thoughts you may have too!

Thanks,

Nick

23. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Oh dear god... That logo is horrid...

A good logo is:
    • Simple
    • Memorable
    • Timeless
    • Versatile
    • Appropriate

What you are doing is simply as most top designers call "tooling", you jumped into Photoshop/Illustrator and just created something without and real conceptual purposing or creative proposal in place. You have absolutely no idea is the mechanics or underlying principals of effective design, I am sorry to say which is reflected in your approach with skill/expertise and desire to flog a deadhorse with iWeb (seriously it's NOT a PROFESSIONAL tool).

People have given you some very good advice IMO, and have referred you to some good resource as newbie designer would get a lot out, thus you should take a look at but you refuse to listen.

Resources you SHOULD look at, read them, learn them, love them are as follows:
    Smashing
    Brand New
    Logopond
    Logolougne

24. MOD YOU UPP macrumors newbie

I'm sorry... This is the absolute worst website design I have seen since the late 90's...

First of all, your logo is terrible. The gradient is just horrible and overall it looks unprofessional. It is also pixelated.

It takes forever for this site to load even though there is barely any content.

There is no structure to this site. It looks like things were randomly placed. I don't know what to read or where to click.

The very first thing I said when I loaded the site was "Wow this is terrible." If I was a potential client I would have left your site right then without even reading anything.

There are so many things wrong with this site I don't even have time to go over all of them. I think you need to scrap the design and start fresh.

But, to be honest, I don't think you have a creative bone in your body. I think you need to find something else you're good at and do it - because web design (or design in general, for that matter) is obviously not your thing.

25. N16K NE thread starter macrumors member

I have had a brief tinker around...

again, please let me know your thoughts. This is a WIP. However, I think this is much better as a skeleton as my last.

Let me know your thoughts please

www.grapevine-design.org