Website Help

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
420
0
I am continuing this thread from a different one. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get a website up. I know how to make one, I just need to know how to turn one of my computers into a server(what software I need, and what connection, etc....)
 

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
11,219
0
San Diego, CA
Well, if you're running OS X and you have a static IP it's easy. If not, then it becomes more complex.

Let me know some more about your situation and I'll try to help.
 

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
1,187
0
SFBA
you can use Apache which is installed in OS X

drop your files in your Sites directory (in your home directory) and start up the webserver (under 'Sharing' in System Preferences). careful though, as you're opening your computer up to the world.
 

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
14,798
2,233
Re: Website Help

Originally posted by me hate windows
I am continuing this thread from a different one. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get a website up. I know how to make one, I just need to know how to turn one of my computers into a server(what software I need, and what connection, etc....)
first question... are you running Mac OS X? This makes it much easier for you

arn
 

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
420
0
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Well, if you're running OS X and you have a static IP it's easy. If not, then it becomes more complex.

Let me know some more about your situation and I'll try to help.
I have 10 on the G4 and 9.2 on the iMac
 

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
11,219
0
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by me hate windows


I have 10 on the G4 and 9.2 on the iMac
Well then, follow Choppaface's advice and turn on "Web Sharing" in the sharing panel of System Prefs.

Place your html files and images, etc. in your Site folder in your User's home directory.

How about the IP address?
 

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
1,187
0
SFBA
for 9.2 you can also use the web sharing control panel to run its built in server, but it seems to be a bit slower and running Apache in 10 gives you PHP support and lots of other goodies that you might use in the future
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.