Website that Aggregates iPhone SDK ideas

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 170385, Mar 10, 2008.

1. 170385 macrumors newbie

This is a website that aggregates iPhone SDK ideas. Some of them are really promising.

Please send your own in, and circulate this list amongst iPhone developers.

www.iphonesuggestions.com

2. NurseChris macrumors member

Which one is promising? the fart noises or the cat sounds, two things I could honestly do without, this is why apple will be running the distribution of the applications, to stop crap like this getting through.

3. 170385 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is not intended to start an argument. Those are 2 funny or silly ideas that appeal to certain demographics. It's not just cat sounds by the way. They're purring videos that can be put on rotate or repeat. A lot of people love cats, but they're allergic to them.

Feel free to add or take ideas from the list.

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i like the ideas, especially the speed dial ideas. the only one i dont think would work is the precision scale idea because the item would have to be smaller than the screen and i wouldnt like the idea of putting things all over my iphone screen and bezel

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Thank God these things won't end up for sale on iTunes. I want to see some stuff I can actually use. This is some of the same garbage that made jailbreaking so boring, half of the junk wasn't worth the effort.

6. 170385 thread starter macrumors newbie

As I said, these aren't for sale yet. They're just ideas. Sift through them to find the "good" ones. Add your own to the list of what you'd like to see get developed. The idea is that average users (with no or minimal programming experience) will add their ideas.

7. Snips macrumors regular

iFund

Wow, ideas like these deserve some serious business backing, and significant venture capital funding may be required.

Thank goodness that iFund is here to make sure *all* these ideas become reality.

I see at least three patentable ideas in there, probably more.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Add them where? Here, I suppose? Maybe add a submission form to that site/webpage.

9. NurseChris macrumors member

Its a great domain name too, get the site up and running with a forum type interface to submit ideas and i'm sure they will start flooding in. It is yours I take it?

10. 170385 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I just wanted a place where everyone could add their ideas. Currently, I just have an e-mail address to send ideas too. As I said, I'm not a programmer. I'd like a form field at the top where ideas can be added, and comments and comment replies underneath each idea.

11. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

I must be weird because I don't see a single app idea there that I would ever even use. Cats purring?? Is that a joke?

12. NurseChris macrumors member

There are plenty of templates out there for you to use, if you are serious about this I mean, I have my doubts!

13. 170385 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, my mom is allergic to cats. She was thinking about buying a super-soft furry toy that she could pet to relieve stress. People with felines have 40% less heart disease, according to a recent study. Being able to press an icon to see a cat start purring across the screen is at least as interesting as a Pug licking your screen. It's not revolutionary, but it has a market amongst cat-allergic people. Who would have thought people would buy Baby Mozart CDs? There's a market for cute or "potentially healthy" add-ons to your daily life.

14. NurseChris macrumors member

I agree, a virtual pet kind of thing would be a successful app i think.

15. Snips macrumors regular

roll up! roll up!

The brilliant weighing scale idea has inspired an idea I'd like to propose:

How about a 'Test Your Strength' game like the one popular at fairgrounds?

The idea would be that you whack your iPhone screen with a real mallet with all your strength. The iPhone app displays your score using a graphical representation of the fairground machine showing the strength of your effort. It can even play an audible bell ring for the hardest hits - just like the real thing! Impress your friends with your strength!

Those early YouTube videos of attempts to scratch the screen show that the tough little iPhone would be easily able to withstand mallet strikes, if not, there's always AppleCare.

16. 170385 thread starter macrumors newbie

You obviously have no sense of the size of the market for digital scales. Why not comment on a useful idea, like the Edible Plant Guide? It's usefulness is dubious to some, but, having been heavily involved in the raw food community, many people eat edible plants outdoors. Inevitably, they all purchase edible plant books. That's one reason why so many edible plants books are seen at bookstores. Why not have one that adapted to your zip code?

17. NurseChris macrumors member

I would like to see a visual guide to what mushrooms are safe to eat.

18. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Hahahaha, please tell me this site is a joke.
    A scale? Do you really think the iPhone has the ability to weigh things built in?

19. 170385 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a great idea too, and it could fall into edible plants to make the program more enticing. A lot of current jailbroken apps I've seen are built for really technical people, and I think the iPhone needs to move in the direction of swallowing up as many demographics and niche markets as possible. Any topic that people can buy books on is worthy of a better program for download. For example, lots of vegetarians buy vegetarian recipe books with photos. Lots of people buy recipe books for vegetable and green juices. Any kind of reference should be moved to the iPhone and work with zip code. Plus, the information could be added and updated, increasing the value of such references. This is a little bit different than creating websites. For example, Epocrates is for drug reference.

20. Snips macrumors regular

Actually, I have no sense of how an iPhone with its touch (and not pressure) sensitive screen can be used to weigh something. Even if it was pressure sensitive, I doubt it would be that simple.

Hosting a site to gather ideas by non-programmers is reasonable. I'd advise you to improve the credibility of your site by moderating the ideas, and only posting those that are valuable, innovative and technically feasible (and not inane).

21. 170385 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know. I'm not technical, but I've seen digital scales that are smaller than the iPhone itself.

22. NurseChris macrumors member

Yeah the Epocrates app is something that i am very interested in, we have a thing in the UK called the BNF, which is basically a book of all the licensed medications available, health care practitioners use this for reference, this on the iphone would be amazing.

23. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

but they probably have this thing, its called the "ability to weigh something"

24. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Hahaha, thank you for this post.

25. 170385 thread starter macrumors newbie