week 38, screen better before 1.1.1 update, anyone else?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dexx0008, Sep 28, 2007.

1. dexx0008 macrumors member

my week 38 looked better before the update.

I only really notice the difference when playing movies.

I get lots of blocky blacks/artifcating when watching these movies.--> It did not have this effect on my movies before the 1.1.1 updated,, i do notice my screen is lighter though.

wonder if i should do a full restore to try and solve the issue with artifacting, shouldn't really matter, the movies are the same that were on there before the update.

anyone else want to weigh in on this?

2. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

a restore will put the new software back on it

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

4. Kpod macrumors newbie

Mine looks worse too!

I installed the new firmware update on my week 38 iPod Touch and I noticed a big change right away. My screen looked awesome before the update and I was very happy with it, now it looks weird when watching videos. It's hard to describe, but it's kind of like the contrast needs adjusting now. It looks OK, but it was SO much better looking before. Another thing...as soon as my iPod rebooted, I noticed about 5 stuck pixels (they are blue). They definitely weren't there before the update. I tried to restore. iTunes restored the software to it's original settings and deleted my content, but the new firmware remained. Now I don't know whether to return it or not. This iPod Touch has definitely been a roller coaster ride.

5. California King macrumors 65816

So people with week 38 ipods shouldn't update it?

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

My Week 38 iPod is working exactly the same as before the update... what is everyone so upset about. People are imagining things!

7. Kpod macrumors newbie

I really don't know. I've seen plenty of posts out there from people saying their iPods are fine. In fact, I checked the forums first and figured all would be fine based on the posts I read. I really wish I hadn't installed it though.

8. themiracle macrumors regular

Wow, that really sucks. I traded in my week 37 earlier for a 38 (I didn't know about the update at that point, and neither did they, obviously.) The screen is a ton better now, but this update is scary. I guess this is what happens when they try to superficially "fix" the broken screens (I might be angry if I had a 37 still and they did this). I guess the advice would be to not update unless its necessary or they fix the problem.

9. Kpod macrumors newbie

Sorry, but I'm not imagining my perfect screen looking strange all of the sudden or my pixels being stuck. Even my co-workers thought my screen looked different. I'm not upset...I'm just disappointed and wishing my screen didn't have defects. The stuck pixel thing bothers me the most. I have two 5th Gen iPod videos (1 year old & 6 mo. old) and they have 0 stuck pixels.

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

My iPod touch has no stuck or dead pixels and the blacks still look nice and I don't have any issues with the screen. I'd say it's better quality than my 5G iPod and I'm very happy with my purchase. I watched it VERY closely while it was updating to make sure that nothing changed and I didn't see any shifts in screen brightness or anything.

11. Kpod macrumors newbie

I did the same...watched it VERY closely before and after the update. I couldn't tell much during the actual update, but I sure could after it rebooted. I guess your luck is better than mine. I was extremely happy with my purchase until the update. I agree with you about the screen quality. Even though my screen doesn't look as good as it did a few days ago, it still looks nicer than my 5th generation iPod...I only mentioned the older iPods to point out that I never had any problems with stuck pixels on them. I've only had this thing for a week and I all of the sudden have a handful of problem pixels...I sure hope the problem doesn't grow.

I found several sites out there with tips for fixing stuck pixels. One of them had a screen flashing tool that has helped some people coax their pixels back into working order. I let it run for two hours and had no luck with any of my stuck pixels. I'm running a different one now that I found on YouTube. I'll let everyone know if I have any success. I have my fingers crossed. I really don't want to go through the hassle of returning the unit, but i know the pixels will get on my nerves no matter how hard I try to overlook them. They're in very noticeable areas.

12. California King macrumors 65816

So I guess if you have a good screen to begin with, don't bother updating it? Would you miss out on other bug fixes?

13. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I would have thought if they were gonna muck around with the contrast of the displays then they would have made it check the serial number to see if was a touch with a defective display.

14. California King macrumors 65816

They probably thought that that's what everyone wanted...or they just didn't bother to make it check for the serial number. I go with not bothering to check...

15. themiracle macrumors regular

Yeah, it seems like there has to be some way to do a:
    If iPodSerial# << 1A738000000
    Don't Change
    Else
    Fake Fix Screen

16. dexx0008 thread starter macrumors member

I wouldn't make assumptions. During my update I watched the progress bar, and I saw something about a screen check.... was too fast to take a screen shot. but shortly after it ran this 'test' it said it was updating the firmware.

After the update, my colors have certainly changed on the device-it was an obvious difference. It's not bad enough for me to take back, just worth noting my colors were better before the update, my blacks were a lot blacker than they are now. I know others have seen the same. You don't really have a choice to not update either as bug fixes are important. The accerometer accuracy and speed has been improved, safari seems to be less crash prone are two things i noticed immediately.

we'll probably never know what decision and changes were made by apple, but one has to wonder if they are doing a gamma fix to lower their return rate and keep people happy(which in turn saves them money). Is the fix within tolerences? Probably, but it will be interesting to see 6 months from now if the touches have the same gamma fix applied, or if they will fix a hardware issue if one exists and not have the same firmware settings applied to those touches that we have. I will be a little annoyed if later touches have blacks that are true blacks and ours have a 'software fix' applied vs. owning up to the fact that a lot of touches had screen issues. This is my third touch after my first two week 36 & 37 had display and audio issues.

I know lookiing at a screen can be subjective, but looking at widescreen movies, you can tell the blacks don't match the area where the movie isn't being played. The blacks look really different, this only started occuring after the 1.1.1 update--> as people say a gamma setting was changed.

i still love my touch, it's a great device, just wish my screen hadn't changed for the worse after the 1.1.1 update.

(forgot to add) in my first post, i know a restore would keep same firmware setting, was hoping doing a restore and transferring the movie over again would result in a change, didn't expect it but had to try.

17. awmazz macrumors 65816

My 38 screen I assume is a 'good' one. But it's a very poor screen image compared to what I was expecting. What was I expecting? Nothing more than what they advertised - this:

[​IMG]

What I do know is that my screen is not even close to as good as the false photoshopped advertising images.

Look at the black in his hair. There's no way on god's green earth any black on my screen comes even close to that. At best, the deepest darkest screen black would be about 50-60% of the black of the iPod's facia - about half as dark as you can see there in the bottom right corner of the screen with the dark sleeves (which I would say is about 90% of the black in the facia).

I assume (from the pics I've seen) the blacks were that black on the week 37s because of the extreme contrast, but the low quality manufacture screen made the blacks appear negative. To fix this low-grade screen fault, they patch the contrast/gamma to the other extreme, so blacks are washed out.

I'm trying to watch Battlestar Galactica right now and everything is gray and washed out. Before this iPod, I never knew deep space was actually gray. If this is the best they can do with this screen firmware-wise, then this is officially the second worst LCD screen I've ever had the displeasure to look at in terms of image quality. And it is NOWHERE NEAR WHAT THEY ADVERTISED with their faked photoshopped images.

18. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

lol it is called the placebo effect. everyone is paranoid now!

notice most of the people making this claims do indeed have the user title "newbie"

19. dexx0008 thread starter macrumors member

:rolleyes: just because we may have recently signed up for a forum account, doesn't necessarily mean we are newbies to apple. --> much less mean it is the first time we have visited macrumors or the forums.... i'm sure u have an account on every site on the web you visit.

________
    Anything I give you would be a placebo.

[frantic] Where can we get these placebos?

20. erasr macrumors 6502

Yeah lol how patronising, trying to make us out like we are newbie at everything and should know less than you. Rather be new and posting now and again to a longterm regular like you..my mates would laugh their heads off if they thought I was a geeky forum guy :D

21. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

If you want to convince people that the 1.1.1 FW update ruined your screen, take before and after pictures. Otherwise I agree with others here, it's the placebo affect... you probably wouldn't have noticed didley squat if you hadn't read that this updated addressed screen issues on some iPods.

I updated mine (week 38), and even if the gamma profile changed slightly I certainly don't notice it during regular movie watching.

22. colincampbell macrumors newbie

23. awmazz macrumors 65816

My week 38 didn't change much that I could notice, so the blacks are still as washed out gray as it was before the update. Which is as I said, not even close to the screen shown in the official advertising photo I posted above.

24. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I think theres small print somewhere on the Apple site saying that the display on that picture is for illustration purposes only. They are not real photos eather.

25. Grim Santo macrumors newbie

i updated and now i have the dark effect...sigh