Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
The topic of this week's contest is "My Favorite Things". This was prompted by a young friend whose 5th grade art contest was based on this theme.

Lest you think this is too easy:
PICTURES OF PEOPLE AND PETS ARE NOT ALLOWED
Other than that, interpret as you will.

Standard rules apply.

Follow all relevant local laws regarding stay-at-home orders. If you can't go outside, try and take a photo at home or grab one from the archives.
  • Do not comment, vote, react or click "like" on images prior to the winners being announced. (i.e.: Don't Molly)
  • The photographs must be your own work.
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • This contest runs for one week. If in doubt, check the dates in the title.
  • At the end of the week, The Judge will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • If the Judge is unable to complete the selection within 48 hours of the deadline, then last week's 2nd place has to step in. 3rd place takes over should 2nd place be similarly unable to officiate.
  • The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create a new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.
  • Contest ends at 6:00pm 7/12/21, US Eastern Time (Midnight GMT).

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Having procrastinated and missed the past several competitions I was planning on entering, I’m gonna try and get this one in right away!

1625540808197.jpeg

Took this one this evening, it’s the view from the trail I try and get to at least once/week. Only a couple miles from my house, so it’s definitely a favorite of mine.

Reactions: mollyc

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
My bike and a long path to ride it on....especially to unknown places.

tempImageoR58V1.jpg

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
After falling snow skiing Jan-15-2021, tearing rotator cuff and 2 torn tendons, physical therapy February, then orthopedic surgery Mar-23-2021, then 4 weeks off work, physical therapy still ongoing thru July end, I realized this is my favorite thing…

Biking early morning pre-sunrise, and then hearing and being a part of this
77316480a1a9a0ea10bc748c72b6d7ac.jpg

Just getting back into biking, on my 3rd week riding outside after 5+ months off

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
One of my favorite things/activities, riding my VFR800 through the twisty roads of the Bay Area. Keeps me on my toes, gravel is NOT one of favorites.
Current 8th Gen Deluxe.jpg

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I got home early tonight and was able to get this done earlier than expected. Here we go.

First, the usual caveat. I don’t know anything about anything. My thoughts are my own and reflect my own aesthetic sense. Some will disagree with me, and that is part of the artistic process. All of my comments are made in a spirit of good will and I apologize ahead of time if I cause any offense. As always, my final choices are made based on artistic and technical merit, and my emotional response to the image. As always, there are a lot of worthy images.

@mackmgg – I like this a lot. The colors and textures of the scene really come through. That is definitely a place I’d like to be. My youngest lives in Provo, Utah and this is the kind of view he has looking out his back door. That adds to how this image resonates with me. It was clearly an overcast day but the image seems a little too flat to me. I’d like to see you bring up the shadows a bit.

@akash.nu – This is a lovely image. It is serene and inviting. The muted tones and milkiness of the water, clouds, and mountains give it a surreal quality. A lot of people don’t like when branches are used as a vignette. I do like it. I think you hit the mark on the left side of the frame. The branch on the upper right is disturbing to me. It is not so much a vignette as something that drops into the frame and gets in the way of the scene. I wonder what this would look like if you took a couple of steps forward and/or to your left.

@OldMacs4Me – I love these little fairs (as long as they’re not too crowded.) I love the colors in this scene. The pinks and blues are beautiful. My eye is drawn from the center of the scene with the flags moving me up to the sky. I would have preferred you did not comment on the donuts. The kiosk is deep in the shadows and I have to work to move my attention in that direction.

@oblomow – I don’t have much to say. “Beautiful and serene” were my first thoughts when I saw this. There is a wonderful contrast between the rich colors of the sky and the muted shades of the grass and water. There are too many brightly colored tents in the market that disrupt the landscape. I respect that you chose some that fit in.

@mollyc – Flowers and shallow DOF!!!!! Who’d have guessed that one?!?!?! A lot of the images you’ve posted in the past few months have such a shallow DOF that I wasn’t sure what you wanted us to see. You’ve nailed it in this one. DOF is perfect. The focus is as sharp as can be. I love it.

@Buck987 – This image resonates with me on a couple of levels. I’ve been at many trailheads and know the feeling of looking forward to the next 25 miles. I think you’ve captured that moment very well. There is a halo around the frame that is a bit disturbing to my eye. I assume it is because of the neon color and I can’t consequence you for that. The Defy is a great bike. I’m trying to sell my TSR Advanced. I used to love riding until I was almost killed when I was hit by a tractor-trailer truck. I rode for a few years after that but just couldn’t fall in love with it again. I miss it which I think makes me appreciate your image a bit more.

@Strider64 – Who doesn’t love LEGO and space stuff. I think there is a lot of potential in this subject. I’m just not sure what you want us to see. I would love to see you focus on some particular aspect of the shuttle or the LEGO blocks.

@CooperBox – I’m impressed that you got an iBook to last this long. The coffee and cookie look great. I’m not a fan of the framing. I think you shot this too low and cropped it too tight. You have another version of this in your media posts. I think that one gives a much better sense of the scene.

@someoldguy – I’m not sure what it is but it looks cool. With respect, I am disappointed in this shot. It feels much more like a snap than a composed image. We’ve seen much better from you. (I am curious what kind of wax you used to polish that. ;) )

@mtbdudex – I love this image. The landscape composition is spot on. I wish the sun wasn’t blown out but you can’t control that. The overgrowth surrounding your bike is the perfect metaphor for the 5 months off. You’ve had a long fight back from those injuries and I’m glad you’re able to get back on the saddle.

@Clix Pix – This is a fantastic image. I don’t think too many people would think a still life of a camera is beautiful, but we are the exceptions. The composition is perfect and the lighting is crisp and clean. The little flash of red at the lens mount is a welcome contrast to the black and silver of the camera.

@Allyance – Your focus on the bike only tells half of your story. I would have preferred you frame this to include more of the road to create some depth and movement. A lot of your other images capture that very well.

@gaswerks – I’ve had to critique several car pictures and they are always a bit tough for me because I am not a car guy. This composition of this image resonates with me a lot. It conveys a sense of power and drama that I don’t feel in most car pictures. That’s not something one expects to feel in a picture of a Mini.

Drum roll please…………………….

3rd: @Clix Pix and @akash.nu

2nd: @mollyc and @oblomow

1st: @mtbdudex

On to the next

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Congratulations, mtbdudex! The minute I saw your image I immediately loved it and also knew it was a winner..... Congratulations, also, to my fellow podium-mates! (Smiling with relief that I'm in a safe position here, too!).

Thanks, Deep Diver, for your thoughtful analysis and comments on all of our images. Mine was actually shot outdoors on my deck, because the RX 10 IV has a rather long minimum focal length which can cause problems (I wound up standing pretty much in the doorway to get the optimal distance), but I wanted to shoot this with my second favorite camera..... I was finally able to get a composition which pleased me after shooting a bunch of images, reviewing them and deciding they didn't work and taking everything back out to the deck for a second round of attempts..... Shot under natural light but in order to emphasize the lens, I used a couple of small LED flashlights to bring some light to that area, since the lens glass was partly concealed by the lens hood, which I chose to leave on. The subject was on my deck table, positioned on black velvet cloth, and I also used spot lighting to really get into the shadows and darkness along with the light and highlights. I further did a bit more judicious adjusting of the contrast of darkness and light in the editing process. And, yes, I was pleased with that hint of red, too -- it added just the right touch!

Reactions: deep diver

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Congratulations [mention]mtbdudex [/mention] and all the fellow podium winners. I’d like to echo [mention]Clix Pix [/mention] ‘s sentiment on getting on the safest podium. Thanks [mention]deep diver [/mention] for judging and your thoughtful comment.

Reactions: Clix Pix

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Congrats to the winners and thanks deep diver for the great comments. FYI,

1)the halo effect on my bike was caused by heavy mist that day.

2) The bike is a Giant SLR. Got a great deal on EBAY for it. I have a few bikes but its my favorite along with a BMC I have.

3) I too have been hit by a car and have a rod in my shoulder as part of the surgery to repair a broken collarbone. NJ drivers are bad.

Reactions: deep diver
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.