Weekly Photo Challenge - June 7-14 - Magic

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mollyc, Jun 7, 2018.

1. mollyc macrumors 68000

As a scrapbooker, mom, and well, girl....I tend to collect a lot of quotes. Here is one of my favorites, by Roald Dahl:

And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

This week I would like you to share a photo that is a little bit secret, a little bit magic. You can interpret this in any way you want.

It can be a photo of a shared moment.

FB_April_25_2015_001.jpg

A favorite place.

FB_August_29_2016_001.jpg

The morning light.

FB_June_06_2018_001-3.jpg

Or anything else. Show me some magic.

2. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

Looking at the number of likes on your post and the lack of responses thus far, I’d say people are really gearing up for this one! You may have made a lot of work for yourself. :eek:

3. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

The Morning Light. Taken with iPhone 6 Plus on June 26 2015 at 6:33am. Google Photo Effects.

[​IMG]

4. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

True that. The hardest topics get the best entries, and are always the hardest to judge.

5. oblomow, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

oblomow macrumors 68030

oblomow

[​IMG]
    edit: Decided to post another .

But this is mystery to me. The image, family walks in the forest. And the biggest mystery: how does an ugly bastard get such a beautiful daughter?

6. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

I'm in the same boat. I just tell people I'm watering down the gene pool. :D

7. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

If our kids are not better than us in every way, then we have not done our job.

8. FlyingFrog74 macrumors newbie

FlyingFrog74

IMG_5761.jpg the magic of water reflection. look into a pond and you see a new world...

9. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

One of my kids played in a klezmer band while he was in high school. The band played a concert in a nursing home each year. One year I saw a couple that was extremely affectionate. They reminded me of my grandparents, and I thought how wonderful it is that they are still so much in love after so many years together. I later learned that they met and fell in love in the nursing home. Sadly, they have both died since then.

(Klezmer is a unique folk music form that comes from the Easter European Jewish communities. It dates at least to the early 20th century, but some trace elements back to the Bible.)

Hands-1000.jpg

10. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    The magic and mystery of light..... Fooling around this afternoon with my iPhone, a crystal glass ball, a paperweight and a marble.....

[​IMG]

11. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

[​IMG]

This elderly couple was so engrossed in their conversation that they didn’t even notice the that the waiter brought their tea already.

Made me wonder, what’s that mysterious glue that kept them connected so well after so many years being together when a lot of the younger generation is just busy bickering about small things in life.

12. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68030

Alexander.Of.Oz

The magic moment you realise you're an older brother!
    Taken Saturday in available light.

Canon 6D, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro, Spot Metering, Aperture Priority
    ISO 6400, 90mm, f/13, 1/25

_MG_2699-Edit.jpg

13. mollyc thread starter macrumors 68000

A slow start at first, but what great entries so far. :)

14. someoldguy macrumors 68000

15. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Working on one.

16. Donka, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018

Donka macrumors 68030

Donka

As a parent, the most magical thing for me is watching my children grow. I love to see a child deep in thought as they learn about the world around them and to capture that moment. To steal a line from a Stereophonics song...
    "Just watching you is an education, what's in your mind is my fascination"

[​IMG]
    A child’s thoughts
    by Andy Whiteford, on Flickr

17. kenoh, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018

kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

I will go for the magic of nature carving the landscape around us.
    [​IMG]DSCF4078-Edit.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

I think I may have used this one before. If I have and anyone objects, let me know and I will try again.

18. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

A rather literal interpretation of the theme! It's years since I've seen a lot of these props and I recall the shows I used to put on for my little girl. I have a rabbit puppet in a hat and I can recall her asking me if he was real when she was really old enough to know better! Happier times...

[​IMG]_DSC7542 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

19. mollyc thread starter macrumors 68000

Get your entries in soon! Judging in less than 24 hours! (give or take)

20. mollyc thread starter macrumors 68000

These are all really great entries! Thanks to all those who partipated. My day got away from me with a sick (legitimately, and not just man-cold sick) husband and my kids are due home in a few minutes, then it's off to sports.

I'm not going to CC all the entries because of time and also because I love them all and I can tell they are all very personal to each poster. This was a challenge from the heart and not a technical one, so I'm not going to ruin anyone's photo! So I wil just get to the placement, but know that this was hard, and if I have time this weekend I will try to come back and say what I think makes each photo so special.

3. @someoldguy & @Alexander.Of.Oz (for a tie)

2. @deep diver & @FlyingFrog74 (for another tie)

1. @akash.nu FTW!

And everyone else gets an honorable mention! Gold stars for everyone!

21. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

OI! "not just man cold sick" - it has been clinically proven that a lethal dose of man-flu is more painful and more threatening than Ebola! :) hope your hubby feels better soon.

Thanks for the honourable mention and Akash.nu.... woohoo... game on mister... what you got in store for us?

22. mollyc thread starter macrumors 68000

He's actually the first one to ask for the doctor, and I am the last to go, but he just didn't look right so I suggested taking him in. It was the right call. He's now on antibiotics, so hopefully it will be sorted soon! Thanks!

23. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Remember in the UK it is father's day on Sunday so it is a nag free day, and lots of pampering.