Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
The topic this week is Square.

Interpret this any way you like, but above all have fun.

As always, standard rules apply:
  • The photographs must be your own work
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place.
  • This contest runs for about a week, starting now.
  • At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • The 1st place winner will start a new thread here with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.
  • Contest ends on April 19 at 20.30 GMT +1 (UK summer time).
Cheers :)

Hugh

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
A few thoughts…

As well as a geometric shape, such as found in buildings / windows etc., a square can be a main feature of a town or village.

In photography a picture taken or cropped in a 1:1 ratio produces a square image and can be quite effective when using the right subject.

A dictionary definition of the word square… https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/square

Finally, don’t despair, give me a square 🟦 🟫 🟪 🟩 🟨 🟥 :D

Hugh

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
GA5maib.jpg

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Time‘s gone by quickly, and now there’s only 27 hours to go before this contest is closed ;)

Hugh

Reactions: mollyc

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Going to the Sun Road, Logans Pass, Glacier National Park, MT. Shot taken in July 1975. Very much while I was still learning the ropes, especially with 4x5. At the suggestion of my mentor I had attempted to include a gray card in the lower right corner. Unfortunately it was too high and intruded beyond the edge of the image, forcing the square crop.

Taken with a borrowed Graflex 4x5 camera, Extacolor S (C-22) film, 127mm Kodak Extanar lens, ƒ-32, 1/25 sec.

LogansPass.jpg

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Good morning...

@Janichsan a good start with a rendition in 1:1, lots of right angle shapes within

@oblomow a Celtic Cross, lots of square shapes within, encrusted with lichen in its ageing process

@_timo_redux_ a nice image, once again in 1:1 ratio but with loads of diagonal squares in the windows of the building

@mollyc at first this looked like an ordinary image but then my eyes were drawn to the bench and it all came together for me

@JAWJr I took a while to find the square doorway but I like the way the shadows work in this B&W photo

@OldMacs4Me a gorgeous scene in 1:1, a good choice to force the square crop

Despite the low number of entries the quality has been high, and I would rather award every one a first place; however there has to be a ranking, so...

First Place... @JAWJr
2nd... @mollyc
3rd... @OldMacs4Me

Hugh

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Good morning...

@Janichsan a good start with a rendition in 1:1, lots of right angle shapes within

@oblomow a Celtic Cross, lots of square shapes within, encrusted with lichen in its ageing process

@_timo_redux_ a nice image, once again in 1:1 ratio but with loads of diagonal squares in the windows of the building

@mollyc at first this looked like an ordinary image but then my eyes were drawn to the bench and it all came together for me

@JAWJr I took a while to find the square doorway but I like the way the shadows work in this B&W photo

Despite the low number of entries the quality has been high, and I would rather award every one a first place; however there has to be a ranking, so...

First Place... @JAWJr
2nd... @mollyc
3rd... @OldMacs4Me

Hugh
thanks for the mention and a fun topic. congrats to @JAWJr!!

Reactions: JAWJr and Hughmac

JAWJr

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Oregon, USA
Good morning...

First Place... @JAWJr
2nd... @mollyc
3rd... @OldMacs4Me

Hugh
Wow, thank you for the mention and podium! Loved seeing the interpretations this week. Honestly it’s just such an honour to be in all of your company.

While my photo had a couple square elements to it, it was also taken just off a square/courtyard. Love the old Spanish architecture of so many buildings in Ventura county.

I’ll have a good think and post the new topic by tomorrow. Cheers!

-Jon

Reactions: Hughmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.