Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Welcome to this weeks photo contest, where the theme is Movement.

So many of our images are made up of static things that are perfectly in focus, this week I'd love it if you all mixed it up and expressed movement in some way through your imagery. It doesn't necessarily take a tripod to achieve this either! Be brave, try new techniques, thinking about movement and how you could possibly capture and express that, but most of all have fun with it.

Rules:
  • Be creative and have fun.
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.
  • The contest runs for one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread.)
  • At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
15312531737_e62bf5789f_h.jpg

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
This weeks contest closes in about an hours time, I'll have feedback up within a couple of hours of that.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Travelling so something from the archives.

passing through 2
by another scotsman, on Flickr
@anotherscotsman You have definitely captured movement here with the train passing on through the station and the resulting movement blur of the train as a contrast to the stations architecture.

@needfx You captured movement in a frozen manner, with a reinforcement of the theme of three through the windows repeating the (three) body and shadow freezes of motion.

@pmxperience You captured a sense of movement not just of the merry-go-round, but also of the crowd! Very nicely done!

@MacRy You managed to capture two different subjects movement in the one image also, with the slight blur to the lady at the top of the steps and the water trails. Very nicely done!

12977033_613348298834425_5714275620674651351_o.jpg

Caught the lead singer of Atlas Genius jumpin' at their most recent Denver show a few weeks ago.
@Illuminated You managed to capture the most energetic movement!

@imac wannabe You achieved the same sense of movement as @needfx by capturing each step of the run by from Adam.

@CmdrLaForge You achieved frozen movement and the force of the water against those nice rocks.

@Miltz You have a beautiful scene here, which I'm assuming is a long exposure, but is a tad hard to tell from the clouds alone.

Movement:-

Grandad's Pocket Watch
by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

From the 1920s I believe; still ticking and keeping good time.

Sony NEX 6, Nikkor-S 50mm @ f/2.8

Cheers :)

Hugh
@Hughmac Behold, the movement of movement!

@Elbert C You have captured a beautiful long exposure landscape with its gorgeous clouding of the water around the rocks.

@AlexH Extra points for going handheld and capturing movement, it's not the easiest of things to achieve and you have got the right amount of blur on the bikes spokes!

Ack -- got confused by the international date line!

View attachment 628510
@MCH-1138 Wow! Yet another stunning image of a Humming-Bird, this time with a beautiful amount of wing blur.

On to the judging, which wasn't easy by the way, so congratulations to all who entered.

Honourable mention: @Elbert C
In third place: @pmxperience
In second place: @Illuminated
In first place: @AlexH

So over to you, Alex!

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Fantastic photos this week! Thank you for the kind words and the first place finish, @Alexander.Of.Oz! That was one of my first attempts at incorporating movement into my photos.

The new contest will be live this evening, I just need to put a little thought into the theme. And bask in the glory of first place. Actually, I'll mostly be basking.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Well done all. Totally forgot to post one for this contest. Not that I have anything fresh in ages (unless you count garden shots).

The topic was movement, not impressive location. No excuse! :)

Sorry being cheeky... Miss your shots! Hope you get chance to shoot soon.
[doublepost=1461679107][/doublepost]
Great entries again and well done to the winners. Thanks Alexander for comments, judging and a good contest idea.

I was going to enter but then saw your entry and bottled it! :)

Reactions: AlexH
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.