Weekly Photo Contest (23 - 30 March) Topic : Symmetry

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chappers, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Rules:

1. You may enter only one photo.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last weeks winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
    (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Topic : Symmetry

2. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Mayfield Cemetery, Mayfield, OH

Attached Files:

3. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Shot from rowing in a lake in Central Park, NYC.

Attached Files:

4. techie4life macrumors 6502

5. jabbott macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    Apple
    1/100s, f/2.8, 70mm, ISO 1250
    Canon Rebel T2i + 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
    (Click to enlarge)

6. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Another one from my school trip in may last year...
    [​IMG]

7. AxisOfBeagles macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

8. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

9. Nuks, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

Nuks macrumors 6502a

10. macrumormonger macrumors 6502

11. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Ren Cen

[​IMG]

Detroit, Mi

Attached Files:

12. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Slightly unconventional symmetry.

Taken by fluke in a lift as the doors were closing. Probably not as good a photo if you didn't know how lucky the shot really was!

Click for LightBox

[​IMG]

13. Chappers thread starter macrumors 68020

Chappers

14. zyggiepyggie, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

zyggiepyggie macrumors member

zyggiepyggie

15. Waybo macrumors regular

Library

I spotted this delightful library on our first day at sea on the Celebrity Eclipse. (Part of it is shot through a glass window.)

Attached Files:

16. Chappers thread starter macrumors 68020

Chappers

17. Chappers, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

Chappers thread starter macrumors 68020

Chappers

I knew that perfect symmetry would be difficult if not impossible so when I saw entries basically divided into two parts - those that went for symmetry and those that went for a concept of symmetry, I had a greater challenge in judging this

Great stuff this week.... I have no idea who to pick as the winner such is the quality.

Here are my thoughts.......

deepdiver - I do like your photos as you know but the marking on the red carpet here distracts from the overall theme.

cherry su - not your best work - it fits the theme but a reflection would have worked better without the disturbance on the water and the colours here are a bit dull.

techie4life - I like this your photos are always good - but perfect symmetry is hard to find - but it is a great shot up there on my list of contenders.

jabbot - perfect symmetry remains hard to find but I like your daring to include this fine shot.

munkees - Great shot - lots of angles and contrast - dangerously close to perfect symmetry probably the closest in the contest, I appreciate that effort. Attention to detail is the name of the game.

pukifloyd - a classic shot and you have got good symmetry it feels a bit bright in the centre but somehow that adds to the picture giving a retro style, but does distract me a little so I'm torn between liking it and not.

AxisOfBeagles - Here they are again, very cute and another daring entry. I like this because the photo is not symmetrical but represents genetic symmetry - you do make it difficult to pick a winner. Beautiful colours.

Master-D - You'd be the winner if it wasn't for the figure on the left. I love the shot but that distraction kills it. In such a multi-focal point shot like this - the girl, the wall, the floor, ceiling and sky - the last thing you need is a tourist just on the edge of shot. Please think of framing.

Keleko - I like this too - another daring shot as its not perfectly symmetrical but none of the entries are - but what I like about it, is that it wants so much to be symmetrical and seems to cry out for it. The light on the left window distracts though.

JDDavis - A solemn photo - it fits the theme but its a bit dark for me. Good quality shot and is stunning the more I look at it the more it grows on me.

dslade09 - I love bright colours, so seeing this cheered me up and reminded me that hotter weather is hopefully coming to my part of the world.

Nuks - I like this , the light and colours are good - looked at your other pics on Flickr - love your work - there were so many you could have chosen for this theme - I hate judging when lots of good photos turn up. Good stuff.

AirborneAngel - I like this - and your other work - I like the multiple points of symmetry within a picture that isn't symmetrical. It seems slightly warped and I'm trying to decide if I like that or not, or if it is intentional. I keep looking at it and it grows on me, but in the end I think I'd take out the distortion in Photoshop if you have it. Otherwise a cool shot.

Macrumormonger - Gosh I love Madrid - and have many fond memories of there but ..... although I love your symmetry I wish you'd cropped out the drainage cover/service cover at the bottom central of the picture. Nice shot - damn good symmetry. I'm not a big fan of HDR but this is quite subtle and works - I think I would prefer a sllghtly more natural look though.

jodelli - great shot and nice colours - good symmetry and colours.

acearchie - I appreciate the concept of the photo (I like fluke shots) - I see the symmetry even if it is weird but thats allowed in this contest, Great colours - good to see imagination in fitting the theme.

zyggiepyggie - sneeks in as symmetry, and is well taken and clear - I like it. It is good to see daring in the contest but is it a United or City fan.

Waybo - Damn fine piece of symmetry - nice shot - well spotted - sadly it lacks sharpness, probably due to the light.

Here is my choice made as I write and re-write over the course of the week - tough - very tough. In the end I went with the best symmetry but I really liked so many of the photos it really was a difficult choice - I liked all the photos and spent a long time going over them to decide on the winner.

Third Place : Nuks Great colour and view point.

Joint Second Place : AxisOfBeagles and techie4life - Both great - couldn't chose between them.

FIRST PLACE : munkees - Congratulations on near perfect symmetry and interesting lighting

munkees its over to you to start a new contest with a new theme.

18. AxisOfBeagles macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

Congrats to munkees, and to everyone - some great interpretations and photos.

A big round of applause to you, Clappers. You put in a lot of work reviewing all of them and giving honest, constructive feedback. A special thanks for being open-minded about the topic interpretation.

19. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

wow, I cannot believe I won.

thanks, and thanks to all the people that spend time and entered the contest. Waybo, I love that shot, shame about the sharpness.

OK I will post the next contest in a moment.

20. Waybo macrumors regular

Thanks & Congrats

Thank you, Chappers, for a great, detailed review. And, Nice job, munkees!

It seems that many of my photos seem to lack the sharpness that Chappers mentioned. Can anyone give me any idea of what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

~ Waybo