Weekly Photo Contest (25 April - 30 April) Topic- Concert

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by zildjansg, Apr 25, 2011.

1. zildjansg macrumors 6502

Rules:

1. You may enter only one photo.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last weeks winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
    (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Topic : Concert

Lets hone our creativity and skills on how we will capture with regards to our Topic, may it be stage performances, shows, concerts and etc.:D
    Here's my sample(pardon the not-so-decent image, iPhone 4 was used on this image,hehe)
    [​IMG]

2. jabbott macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    Gregg Block of Ploy for Extinction - Gothic Theatre - Denver, CO - Nov. 2010
    1/60s, f/1.4, 50mm, ISO 1250
    Canon Rebel T2i + 50mm f/1.4 USM

3. Designer Dale, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Detroit circa 1970.

[​IMG]
    Nikon F 55mm f/1.2 Tri-X@asa 600. Manual everything...

Dale

4. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Hosanna Christmas Concert

[​IMG]

Canon 50D + Tamron 60mm f/2 IIRC

5. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Solon, OH High School Jazz Band

Attached Files:

6. luminosity, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011

luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

7. swano macrumors member

Bad Religion

Judging by the time stamp I'm late but I wanted to stick this up to see what people thought.

Attached Files:

8. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Judging

I just PMed zildjansg and Razeus. Hopefully the judge has not disappeared. If the judge does not return by tomorrow then according to the rules the responsibilities fall to Razeus.

9. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

It just depends on if the contest runs for one week or the five days that zildjansg has it dated for (25 - 30th April)

10. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Good point. I did not notice that. We'll see if zildjansg responds.

11. Razeus macrumors 603

If no response in the next few hours, I'll judge.

How does that work since I've submitted an entry to this week's contest??

12. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I've PM'd zildjansg today and he has been on the site since I PM'd him. (He's been on at least 3 times today)

According to the rules he has 24 hours but I confess it doesn't look good for a return.

13. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I think its over to you.

To answer your question - you decide that you're the winner and hope there are no complaints :D

Update: since my last post zildjansg has been back again without reply.

14. tenshin5426 macrumors newbie

shame looks like i may have missed the deadline :(

15. Razeus macrumors 603

I'll have the Winner announced tonight when I'm off work and settled in.

16. Razeus macrumors 603

jabbott - the sense of energy and passion for the music is in the photo. the sense of motion brings the photo a sense of life. it captures the musician "feeling it" for lack of a better phrase. even the lighting, being red, says the player was on fire.

Designer Dale - a classic looking photo. i love the black and white and this makes it timeless (besides the fact of dated clothing). the film look is great and one of the things digital can't match. great photo.

MattSepeta - nice photo. nice colors with the lighting. you caught the performer during a nice. Terrific photo to capture the moment. Very clean given the low light.

AirborneAngel - wow! love the streams of light. the audience looks like they are having a good time, jamming to a good song.

deep diver - it wasn't very clear what i was looking at here. you're not suppose to use words when posting, but i'm glad you did in this case. interesting use of software to give effects.

luminosity - i wanted to like this photo. i like how you got nice and close to the performer, but I think you are a bit too close. the artist doesn't have breathing room. actually, it would be a great composition of the subject, but the bokeh is much too distracting. i think if all there was were the performer and the mic, or the bokeh much smaller and rounder, it would have more of an effect.

swano - this seems like it was taken from a video camera. though the musicians are clearing "bringing it", i'm not connecting with this photo.

Razeus - I skipped judging my own photo for obvious reasons.

Here are the winners:

1st - jabbott
    2nd - Designer Dale
    3rd - AirborneAngel

Congratulations to jabbott. You've got 48 hours to get a new contest up (if not it will be on to Designer Dale).

17. jabbott macrumors 6502

Thanks for the comments and judging, Razeus! I've set up a new contest here.

18. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

When I dropped my photo in the Contest, I knew the winner would be Jabbott. Great photo with tons of character.

2nd place!! Whoopee!! My best showing ever in a Contest!

Thanks.

Dale

19. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

well congrats to jabbott and Co on a good result.

I did try and contact zildjansg with yet another PM but still no answer - I doubt we will ever understand what happened.

Onwards with the next contest .

20. zildjansg thread starter macrumors 6502

Guys Im so sorry for not doing the updates and the judging, was away for a voluntary apostolate works in a remote village in the southern Philippines. There was no access of any communication device( except for a handheld radios). My apologies to all. Big thanks to Razeus for the judging(and for "sacrificing" your lovely image for this contest, and to Chappers and deepdiver for the the reminder and to those who send PMs , appreciate it much.

Congrats to all the winners!

Again, my sincere apologies.

21. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

It is just that I noticed over the course of the day that the judging was due, that you came to macrumors about five times.

I would recommend you don't leave yourself logged on to sites while you are away. Other people who have access to your computer and keep looking at macrumors forums make it appear that you yourself keep coming back.

22. zildjansg thread starter macrumors 6502

So sorry about that. yeah, I didn't logged off and my desktop is just in sleep mode.