Weekly Photo Contest (Aug 16th - 23rd): Redo

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by panoz7, Aug 16, 2010.

1. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Weekly Photo Contest (Aug 16th - 23rd): Redo

Rules:

1. You may only submit one one or two photo(s) per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme: Redo

*DISCLAIMER*
    This theme involved a slight change in the rules and may be a bit weird. If that isn't acceptable I'd be happy to change it to something more traditional but I thought this could be interesting.

For this week's theme I'd like to see photos that you've returned to and redone, either by reshooting a similar (but improved) photo in the same location or taking a new approach via post-processing. We all know what a difference a slight change in light or composition can have on a photo -- let's prove that point.

Please post the original and new photo or just the new photo and a description of what you changed.

If you haven't redone any photos perhaps this an opportunity to go through your library, find an earlier shot, and apply what you've learned since then.

I'll leave it up to your discretion to decide what qualifies as a redone photo versus an entirely new photo.

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Just to clarify do we post both photos. Aka before and after or just the redone photo?

Cheers!

3. panoz7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

panoz7

It's up to you. I think it would be great to see both photos (before and after), though if that's not possible it would be fine to only show the new (after) photo along with a description of what you changed.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Tilt Shift #1 & #2

• Original
    [​IMG]

• Redo
    [​IMG]

One of the first shots I ever got with my 1000D, I wasn't too experienced with setting up a camera, nor using photoshop for the tilt shift, the redo was taken only last week in the identical spot although as you can tell, the lens was wider.

5. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

6. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

Okay so I know we're not supposed to comment on other photos... but DAMN.

Anyway here's my puny contribution...
    [​IMG]
    Taken on my 2G iPhone
    [​IMG]
    T2i

Funny bit is... I like the iPhone shot better! Redo FAIL!

7. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

8. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

9. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Kilauea on the Big Island of Hawaii

Before...

[​IMG]

This is my latest post processing attempt to salvage this photo using brushes in Aperture 3...

[​IMG]

10. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

I just realized I have just the image for this, even though I kind of already used it once. Oh well.

Boring:

[​IMG]

Better:

[​IMG]

No cropping.

11. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

12. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Before (Shot Nov-2009)
    [​IMG]

After (Aug-2010 via PP in Aperture 3)
    [​IMG]

13. CK Williams macrumors regular

Painting with light

1. Flashlight
    [​IMG]

2. Strobe
    [​IMG]

Both taken with D700, 20mm f/2.8. Exposure 30 seconds, f/8, ISO 800

14. Presha macrumors regular

Vacation paradise!

Click for larger view!

Attached Files:

15. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Before and after.. well reshot within 5 minutes. First i saw the double rainbow and my kids standing there, shot it and looked at it. Thought about it and composed again and then asked out loud.. where is the rainbow? my kid went THERE and spread her arms.. CLICK, and good capture. Slight curves adjustment in Aperture 3 and that was it. Clickable, its better in large :)

Attached Files:

16. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

17. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

18. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

19. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Before and after shots done pretty much within a week!

Before:

[​IMG]

After (Best viewed on black background!):

[​IMG]

20. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

21. panoz7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

panoz7

This week's contest is closed. Thanks for all the entries -- this is going to be a tough one to judge. I'll have the winner announced within a day.

22. panoz7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

panoz7

This was a really hard contest to judge. There wasn't a single photo that I didn't like, and many that I feel deserve to win.

The topic certainly didn't ease judging either. I struggled to define the criteria that a winning photo would meet. Would the winning photo be the one with the most improvement / change (since that's what this contest was explicitly about) or the photo that ended up the best overall?

I ended up deciding that a mix of the two was important. The winning photo didn't have the most improvement overall, nor do I think it was definitely the best overall photo here, but I felt that it was the best mix of the two.

I should also say that I know when I like a photo but I'm not always sure why. Keep that in mind in my critiques. All of the photos were really nice, but it was often easier for me to pick out the one or two things that I thought could be improved rather than pick out all the things that made the photo successful. That's not to say that there wasn't a lot successful about the photo. My critiques follow:

Schtumple: I'm not usually a fan of the tilt shift effect. I often find it to be a bit gimmicky, but in this case I think it's actually quite nice. Both photos have a wonderful mood. I prefer the wider composition in the newer photo (I think it further exaggerates the ts effect) but I actually like the color better in the original. I think i may be the red sky in the newer that's throwing me off a bit. Either way, two great photos.

JDDavis: Your newer photo is a huge improvement. The old photo was ok, but I found the background distracting and the windows with blinds reflected in the glass kept grabbing my attention. The lighting on the newer photo is much better and the glass really pops. My only criticism of the newer photo is that it appears to be slightly off level.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7: I have to agree with your critique -- I think the original iPhone photo is definitely better. I shoot a lot with my iPhone too and often return to reshoot with my dslr. Technically the results are usually better, but it seems like they often lose some character in the process. Anyway, I think the iphone filters compliment the gritty city scene and I like composition better in the iphone photo too. There's too much sky in the newer one and I don't like how the sign blocks the top of the buildings. Maybe not all photos are meant to be redone?

deep diver: The difference here is striking. I've tried to take similar photos of my bike and I've never found the right balance between clarity and motion. The newer photo is definitely far more interesting and I probably spent more time staring at it then any other photo in this thread, but I feel it could still use a little work. The transparency of the bottom of the derailer and chain kind of bothers me, and the green reflection on the derailer seems out of place given the desaturated background.

Maxxamillian: I never would have guessed those came from the same photo. The composition is far more engaging and the background blur and selective darkening give the photo a lot more motion. That said, I think the water splash may have pushed the photo slight over the edge. I think the water is just too sharp to be realistic.

NathanCH: I remember seeing this photo in the PoTD thread. You've fixed a lot in the second photo but my opinions are still mixed. On one hand I really like the serene nature of the newer photo. The distractions in the background have been eliminated and the sky isn't blown out. On the other hand I think the composition of the original may have been better. The power lines in the back and the lines on the truck keep my eye moving. I also like slightly higher viewpoint but I realize that exposed more of the trees in the background which don't really add much to the photo. I'd also be curious what reshooting at a different time of day would do with the light coming from the opposite direction.

VirtualRain: What in the world is that thing in the background? Is it the steam cloud from a power plant? I completely missed it in the original photo and I'm glad your post-processing was able to bring it out, but I also think that it may have been pushed too far. The darkness in the upper right keeps pulling my eye away from the cloud.

Luminosity: This is a outstanding black and white conversion. It makes the background far less distracting while still providing some depth. I especially like the added grain. I really can't think of much that could be improved.

Mattyb240: I didn't realize at first that these were actually two separate photos and not just a black and white conversion. I opened them both up in photoshop and kept flipping between them to see how the composition changed. You managed to keep the tree in almost the exact same position while leveling the buildings and the bridge to some extent. I'm not really sure how you did that but newer photo is definitely an improvement. The black and white is nice, but I kind of like the muted color palette of the original too.

mtbdudex: Another B&W conversion -- and just as nice as luminosity's. The difference between the two photos is striking. The original is kind of dull, the newer one anything but. Makes me want to get off the computer and head downstairs to the shop. Nice job.

CK Williams: Like TH3D4RKKN1GH7's photo, I think I actually prefer your original with the flash light to the strobed version. The strobed version looks a little bit too much like an HDR to me. I know this was done in camera but all the photoshopped HDRs have kind of ruined that look for me. The original flash light one is different though and that look wouldn't be confused with anything done in photoshop. I also like the higher contrast range in the original and the color of added light.

Presha: I'll have to agree with the title… wish I was there right now. The more saturated darker colors in the new one are nice although there seems to be some splotchiness in the sky. Overall these would be nice images for a postcard but there isn't much to hold my attention long term. I like how the trees reflect in two different ways in the water but it's lost in this composition. I'd try cropping out most of the sky to exaggerate the trees and the reflection.

flosseR: I wish I had a family photo like this. I've seen some cool rainbows like that before, but nothing close to that. It's amazing what getting your kids to move a bit did for the photo.

pukifloyd: I just love these kind of shots. This one's really nicely done -- I'd love to see it bigger. I like how the black and white really exaggerates all the lines on the building roofs. The gradients you've added on the left and right and the tall building dead center add a really nice symmetry. Where was this taken?

thatisme: Wow! Both the original and the post process are really well done. The composition is interesting and I love the way the light reflects off the chrome body. The black and white version pushes it a little farther and gives it a wonderful vintage look.

El Cabong: As I mentioned earlier I'm not a huge fan of the HDR look, but I actually think it kind of works here. The new photo is a huge improvement over the old one. The light and composition are far better, and the surreal HDR sky actually compliments the graffiti. What are those things? They looking kind of like bridge supports but I'm sure they're not.

acearchie: This is really cool. Per your instructions I opened it up in photoshop on a black background and it really pops. Both the original and the newer photo are really interesting to me. The composition of the first, with the building and sky in the background is really interesting and not something I've seen in many other macro photos. The attention to the attention to light in the newer photo pushes it to another level though. I'd love to see it big.

Phrasikleia: I love this photo. I saw it in the PoTD thread a few months ago and it stuck with me. I spend a fair amount of time driving on interstates and always pass stuff like this but never photograph it. Not only did you take the photo to begin with but you returned to improve it. The new one is certainly an improvement. The new composition is nice, but what really does it for me is the new lighting. I love the contrast between the old stone house and the new concrete road. By lighting the house the same color as the passing cars you call attention to that contrast. Great job.

And the winners:

3: Luminosity - Luminosity gets the award for the best black and white conversion. This is an outstanding photo and I don't really know what I'd improve.

2: thatisme - When viewed outside the theme of the contest this was my favorite photo. It's gorgeous.

1: Phrasikleia - Like I said, this was the photo that I felt was the best mix of improvement and overall goodness (I wasn't sure how else to say that). This is a photo that should inspire us all to go out and shoot and push us to strive to always improve.

Great job guys! I really enjoyed looking through the photos but hated picking a single winner. I look forward to next weeks contest.

23. Presha macrumors regular

Great job on judging and congrtas to the winner..Excellent choice! Stunning photo:)

24. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Great judging (it is a challenging task) and congrats to our much deserved winner for a stunning redo.

I must admit, I entered mine with the expectation that I would be setting the low bar! :p It was a bad picture (of an active volcano) but a real testament to shooting RAW and what you can recover from a scene like that. However, it's not without it's compromises. :eek:

I admire the redo's the most (compared to the post processing before/after), and if I had a redo, I would have posted it... I just haven't had my camera long enough I guess.

Besides Phrasikleia's great shot, I also love El cabong's HDR... very effective with that scene, and thatisme... awesome trip back in time with that one... very artful work!