Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Weekly Photo Contest Challenge: Crowds (September 30 - October 7, 2020)

oblomow

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
I've not forgotten the judging part! Had my hands full what with kids, work etc. Will do it when I get home this evening. I must warn you all now, I am not on anywhere near the same level as you guys when it comes to photography, so my comments will probably seem somewhat more basic and briefer than what you have become used to!
No worries. You'll do fine. Just tell us what you think. ( hint: I really liked @kenoh 's entry :) )

Comment

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I've not forgotten the judging part! Had my hands full what with kids, work etc. Will do it when I get home this evening. I must warn you all now, I am not on anywhere near the same level as you guys when it comes to photography, so my comments will probably seem somewhat more basic and briefer than what you have become used to!

We get it, it's cool... but as for this : " I am not on anywhere near the same level as you guys when it comes to photography" - nip that BS in the bud right now.

You are! we are all on our own journey and just judge it as you wish. Like I said earlier, You are most welcome to just say too busy, cannot do more so here are the winners... 1,2,3...

and don't let @oblomow "herd" you into a decision...

Comment

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
@akash.nu: Great photo. So many people; some deep in thought, some taking their own photos - others look like they don’t know what to make of it! What are they all looking at!?

@mollyc: Another nice photo; so many attentive children enjoying themselves. The surrounding trees make for a nice setting and I particularly like the sun bursting through the trees.

@oblomow: An unusual photo, but I like it! Had the cows just been for a dip in the sea?!

@kenoh: I must say, I really like this photo! The Etihad Stadium is somewhere I’ve been - although I didn’t see the Stone Roses, but instead saw my beloved QPR lose to Manchester City a few years ago. That’s what you call a crowd and I love the colourful smoke wafting through the sky. Fantastic.

@imac wannabe: You took this from the perfect viewpoint. Had they been queuing long, only a few of them look a little fed up!? Scenes like this look so strange now. Oh to be able to queue for a ferry again!

@soulreaver99: A lovely photo. I’ve not been to Japan (yet), but my brothers have and I’ve heard so many great things about it. I really like this photo but the thing I like the most is the sky and the amazing colours. I assume you edited the photo to get the sky like this? This is the kind of thing I’d like to be able to do but, currently, don’t know how to!

@tizeye: Herds are allowed too! Another very nice photo. I love how the cows couldn’t care less who they are inconveniencing. At least they don’t have to socially distance!

@deep diver: A great action shot of a big sporting event. Sports on TV played out in empty stadiums these days is so sad. I like how the players are all stood together and you’ve captured the crowd behind them. Let’s hope it won’t be too long until scenes like this are happening again.

@Alexander.Of.Oz: Your photos always grab my attention. You’re clearly a very skilled photographer. I’ve only dabbled a bit with long exposure shots - and I certainly need more practice. I like this photo a lot, especially how the sky has come out.

@Janichsan: This is a cool shot! Where are they all heading? I must say, the fish at the top appears to be the odd one out!

@redshifted: This is something different - but different is good! I like the sepia-like toned effect and a bunch of guys (and gals) proud of their pumpkins!

@Ukiyo Evenings: This might have been a late entry, but I have to say, it’s a fantastic photo. The multiple exposure makes it look so busy (it probably was). I like the colours too. This is the kind of thing I aspire to. I haven’t managed to capture anything like this, yet.

@Laird Knox: Love the vibrant yellows, greens and purples in this photo. You were obviously in the crowd, which I like.

@mackmgg: The first entry that has people wearing masks. Well done!

I hope I haven’t missed anyone out! Some cracking entries. So, my verdict is:

3rd place goes to: @soulreaver99

2nd place goes to: @kenoh

And 1st place goes to: @Ukiyo Evenings

I hope I did ok. I felt a bit rushed judging - my wife has been shouting at me to come and have my dinner. I better dash!

Comment

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Oh no, here I am with a last minute entry! It's very nice entering a competition hoping not to win

I have the original stored on a disused laptop, so this compressed JPEG off Instagram will have to do for now. The original caption when I posted the photo in 2016:

"I love Taipei Metro. Fact. It's the most user friendly mass transit system I've used and has so many positive attributes. Cheap and comfortable, with a well connected network and fantastic ease of use and payment. There's also the cheery (bordering on primary school) colours and signage. It's how public transport should be. Metro stations around the world have chimes and tones in addition to announcements to signal the arrival of an oncoming train, and some Taipei stations have this cute, calming melody which I couldn't help but smile at. It pretty much summed up the whole vibe of the city: friendly and welcoming.

Stations which have line sharing platforms make for an interesting view at rush hour as commuters switch between trains. This combined exposure captures a bit of the movement before it gets packed."

Shot on my Ricoh GR using the multiple exposure mode. I didn't want to hold up commuters so just took two quick shots and hurried on for the train. I really miss Taiwan and look forward to visiting again next year. Japan too as someone mentioned earlier!

View attachment 963865

This is a great shot. Dude I miss Taiwan as well. I went the year before I took that photo in Japan lol.

Asia in general is a really great place to take photos, especially if crowds, the city and scenery :)

Comment

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
@akash.nu: Great photo. So many people; some deep in thought, some taking their own photos - others look like they don’t know what to make of it! What are they all looking at!?

@mollyc: Another nice photo; so many attentive children enjoying themselves. The surrounding trees make for a nice setting and I particularly like the sun bursting through the trees.

@oblomow: An unusual photo, but I like it! Had the cows just been for a dip in the sea?!

@kenoh: I must say, I really like this photo! The Etihad Stadium is somewhere I’ve been - although I didn’t see the Stone Roses, but instead saw my beloved QPR lose to Manchester City a few years ago. That’s what you call a crowd and I love the colourful smoke wafting through the sky. Fantastic.

@imac wannabe: You took this from the perfect viewpoint. Had they been queuing long, only a few of them look a little fed up!? Scenes like this look so strange now. Oh to be able to queue for a ferry again!

@soulreaver99: A lovely photo. I’ve not been to Japan (yet), but my brothers have and I’ve heard so many great things about it. I really like this photo but the thing I like the most is the sky and the amazing colours. I assume you edited the photo to get the sky like this? This is the kind of thing I’d like to be able to do but, currently, don’t know how to!

@tizeye: Herds are allowed too! Another very nice photo. I love how the cows couldn’t care less who they are inconveniencing. At least they don’t have to socially distance!

@deep diver: A great action shot of a big sporting event. Sports on TV played out in empty stadiums these days is so sad. I like how the players are all stood together and you’ve captured the crowd behind them. Let’s hope it won’t be too long until scenes like this are happening again.

@Alexander.Of.Oz: Your photos always grab my attention. You’re clearly a very skilled photographer. I’ve only dabbled a bit with long exposure shots - and I certainly need more practice. I like this photo a lot, especially how the sky has come out.

@Janichsan: This is a cool shot! Where are they all heading? I must say, the fish at the top appears to be the odd one out!

@redshifted: This is something different - but different is good! I like the sepia-like toned effect and a bunch of guys (and gals) proud of their pumpkins!

@Ukiyo Evenings: This might have been a late entry, but I have to say, it’s a fantastic photo. The multiple exposure makes it look so busy (it probably was). I like the colours too. This is the kind of thing I aspire to. I haven’t managed to capture anything like this, yet.

@Laird Knox: Love the vibrant yellows, greens and purples in this photo. You were obviously in the crowd, which I like.

I hope I did ok. I felt a bit rushed judging - my wife has been shouting at me to come and have my dinner. I better dash!

Great judging and great topic too... it’s tough getting new photos of crowds during these times so I’m sure a lot of us had to dig through our photo archives. As for the sky, yes it was edited with Luminar 4 and Lightroom.

Comment

deep diver

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

Great job with the judging and very worthy winners. There is no reason for you to doubt yourself.

As for your wife....... Everyone of use that has judged has had this experience. We feel your pain.

Reactions: Apple_Glen_UK
Comment

Ukiyo Evenings

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2020
Oh wow, I am both elated and a tad nervous with my placing 😂 However, I will do my best to come up with a new theme after consulting the archives, and look forward to judging the entries. I'm quite likely the least experienced here so get ready for some interesting feedback!

Thank you @Apple_Glen_UK for the kind words. I'm confident that given a similar scenario such as mine, you will be able to capture a mood matching your aspirations. If I share other multiple exposure shots from my Ricoh GR, I will tag you so that you can view them :)

@soulreaver99 aha hello fellow traveller! Was your photo taken in Narita perchance? I'm not too sure with the mountain in the backdrop but it did remind me of the high street leading to Narita-san. I agree with you about Asia: just so much available to work with. Was nice to see your photo; I will tag you when I post ones from Japan ;) edit: nice profile pic, Itachi.

Reactions: soulreaver99
Comment

Janichsan

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2006
There weren't heading anywhere in particular. They were just leasurely swarming: whenever one changed direction, the others followed suit. This aquarium has some pretty huge tanks, which a dozen or so species share. That's why there's one different fish in the picture. The yellow blob in the bottom right is actually a third kind of fish.

Comment

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016

Awesome judging.

Congratulations to the winners.

Looking forward to the next one.

Oh and the crowd was looking at this.

Comment

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
@soulreaver99 aha hello fellow traveller! Was your photo taken in Narita perchance? I'm not too sure with the mountain in the backdrop but it did remind me of the high street leading to Narita-san. I agree with you about Asia: just so much available to work with. Was nice to see your photo; I will tag you when I post ones from Japan ;) edit: nice profile pic, Itachi.

This was taken in Kyoto. I forget the name of the street but it was right here according to Google Sensei :p

1602516677287.png

Reactions: Ukiyo Evenings
Comment

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Thank you, The smoke is a rather scary trend that was in full flow a few years back... Thencrowds at live events were smuggling flares into the venues and setting them off. People were getting burned. Not ideal.

• Wow
Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz
Comment

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Thanks for taking the time to critique this week's contest.

The show was Cheap Trick playing 'Sgt. Pepper Live.' It was a birthday present for myself in September of 2010. I believe the pictures was taken with an iPhone 4. Not bad for a ten year old phone. ;)

Not my video:

You can see the stage setup. They had an orchestra on the top level above the band. You can see how much lighting they had on the show. It was impressive.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.