Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
This week I am looking for a monochromatic image. Note, this does not mean black and white (although you can do that if you want). I am looking for an image that has a singular color palette throughout. Like this:

Web_December_07_2021_001.jpg

As always, standard rules apply:

The photographs must be your own work.

You may only submit one photo per contest.

No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place. (i'll try to abide by this one on my own, too.)

This contest runs for one week, starting now.

At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.

The 1st place winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.

Above all, have fun.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
A rather spectacular sunset near the mouth of the Columbia River.
Might as well kick this one off as well. One of the few images I took using a Cherrywood 4"x5" camera I built from a kit. Problem with it is that solid focusing is really iffy. But I did get lucky with this shot.

This image was on the 6x7cm roll film back and even then cropped from vertical to horizontal.
Or2_9B.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Cheers everyone. Home sick today, so just short comments. Thanks to all who participated.

@OldMacs4Me I am really enjoying seeing all your film scans. The color in this is amazing.

@oblomow A very peaceful scene. My brain wants the opening in the background to line up with the dock, but I suspect that nature did not cooperate with the symmetry here. (That's not a criticism of the actual photograph, don't worry.) I do really love the fog here.

@Hughmac What a clever way of finding monochrome - just make your own!

@Janichsan Another image seemingly lit by a single color light source. This is a great perspective and use of leading lines.

@thirsty_monk What a lovely palette of blues here; the depth provided by the mountain layers is really great.

@_timo_redux_ A fantastic golden hour image - the deep colors work well with the energy of the city.

@someoldguy lots of great layers here; so many different places to look.

@JAWJr what dog can resist a car ride? Great sun flare.

And so here we have it; everyone gets a place on the podium!

Third: @thirsty_monk, @someoldguy, @JAWJr

Second: @_timo_redux_, @OldMacs4Me, @Janichsan, @Hughmac

First: @oblomow I really expected to choose a color image for this, but am drawn back to this image time and again for the peacefulness.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Congrats to everyone, solid entries all around.

@mollyc thanks for appreciating my film digitization efforts. Fair bit of work has gone into this, but it's been a lot of fun. Has triggered some very special memories. Especially the shot I entered here, as I was day tripping with my future bride and lifelong partner. Currently I'm revisiting my earliest learning experiences and noting how much I've managed to improve. Even so I still stumble across the occasional gem, but a lot is landing in the trash bin where it probably should have gone a long time ago.

• Love
Reactions: mollyc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.