Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
A little known fact about me is that Valentine's Day is one of my favorite holidays. Not because of the mushy looovvve stuff (my husband and I barely celebrate it to be honest, but chocolate is always nice), but because pink and hearts are my favorites.

So this week's competition is to show us something that you love. You can interpret this as you wish...your spouse, your child, your favorite coffee, your favorite car. I don't care. But give me a beautiful photographic image oozing with love for something that is special to you. Use your best compositon and storytelling skills. Note, this does not have to be Valentine themed...just anything you love.

Standard rules apply:

• Do not comment, vote, react or click “like” on images prior to the winners being announced. Violators might be awarded first place, entry or not!
  • The photographs must be your own work.
  • This contest runs for one week. If in doubt, check the dates in the title.
  • At the end of the week, The Judge will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • If the Judge is unable to complete the selection within 48 hours of the deadline, then last week's 2nd place has to step in. 3rd place takes over should 2nd place be similarly unable to officiate.
  • The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create a new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.
  • Competition ends February 11.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I have had a multitude of cars and bikes over the years, the one I 'loved' the most, I never took a picture of it. It was the fastest and the sleekest looking car (same performance as a 289 Cobra). The car that was the most fun to drive was the slowest (except for my original VW)! So excluding family, the 1953 MG-TF was my favorite.
MG TF.jpeg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
only two people have something they love???

here's a list:

cameras
lighthouses
sandwiches
cars (duh)
stones
tables
moments
flowers
bunnies (duh)
dogs
cats (seriously, i KNOW some of you love your cats)
calculators
apples

feel free to add your own

• Haha
Reactions: katbel

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I'm negotiating the permission of the person of my affections. It's not really a great image in the "great image" sense. It's the story, I think. We shall see. If not, I'll see what I can arrange from one of the "objects" of my affections.:D

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
only two people have something they love???

here's a list:

cameras
lighthouses
sandwiches
cars (duh)
stones
tables
moments
flowers
bunnies (duh)
dogs
cats (seriously, i KNOW some of you love your cats)
calculators
apples

feel free to add your own

I can post more. I have a lot of love to share….. - erm that sounds creepy sorry

One thing, Calculators? How the hell did calculators make the list?

IMG_20220209_083008.jpg

Last edited:

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Part of a story I wrote to go with a slideshow I used to pass along to grieving friends. This was the title slide taken in 2007 with my Canon Powerhot A550 camera.

042507_339.jpg

The Pasque Flower or Mountain Crocus is my favorite flower. Just when it seems winter will never end, there it is. Thumbing its nose at long sub zero nights. Pushing its way through the last remnants of snow or ice. Vibrantly announcing the end of winter, though all around everything is still grey or brown. A symbol of hope, when all hope seems lost.

Spring was late that year. My dad had died the previous December. I was alive but somehow felt anything but. Every time I started feeling just a little bit better, something would trigger a memory and flatten me yet again. Truly it seemed that horrid winter would never end.

It was a late April morning when our dogs made it very clear it was time for their walk. I leashed them up with no hope of enjoying what should have been the highlight of the day. Then I opened the door and there they were; Pasque Flowers, not just one or two but hundreds of them. I was so overwhelmed with grief I almost missed this amazing sight.

It was just the reminder I needed. Winter had ended. Life had been renewed. Time to shed the ice, the snow and the grief. Time to live. I can’t say the grieving stopped then and there but it was indeed the turning point. From that moment on the pain, reluctantly but surely, gave way to hope, love and healing.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
This photo combines my love of dogs with a love of unusual lenses.

Here is Sam, a Dalmatian cross Labrador, who passed away at the age of 16 and a half. This was taken not long before his last trip to the vets, and he was coming at me in hopes of a treat.
The photo was taken with an Olympus EM-10 camera and 25mm Zonlai Discover lens, 1/100 @ f/4.

Cheers :)

Hugh

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Okey dokey, some quick comments from me. Thanks to all who participated!

1. @kenoh I am mesmerized every time I see a photo of your bunnies. I am often left wondering how they can see. But I love that you love them and that you admit that you love them. My husband loves our dog but hates to admit it.

2. @Allyance A beautiful image of a beautiful car. My dad has had some MGs along the way. Lovely framing and black and white on this.

3. @kenoh Oh...back for some more? I didn't expect anyone would actually post a photo of a calculator. You might regret your enthusiasm (although I seem to remember an obscure topic from you last time, so you might be safe).

4. @CooperBox what a fun doggy. Is he still a puppy? His feet look huge!

5. @katbel I love that you thought about this and set it up for the contest. And if not for the contest, then clearly you have already thought about favorite things before. Either way, it's nice to see some pieces of you here.

6. @oblomow What a great vista; I love the scale of the people and steps along side of the rockface, and what a great moment you captured with him looking out over the scene.

7. @OldMacs4Me what beautiful clarity in your image and an even more beautiful story. I hope time has healed some of your sorrow.

8. @Hughmac Oh sweet Sam. I love his little crooked front teeth, and he looks so happy and loved. Thank you for sharing him with us.

9. @squawk7000 See I did not have airplane on my list and I love that you thought of something out of the norm. This is a great capture of what is a difficult subject.

10. @Slartibart A ferret? Such funny animals. I like juxtaposition of the words on the bag with his tiny little head peering out.

11. @Darmok N Jalad I love that you chose your daughter and her love also. I love the bokeh and depth of field here.

Here ends comments, and here begins punishment, errr, rankings.

Third place: @Hughmac

Second place: @oblomow and @OldMacs4Me

First: @kenoh....you have only yourself to blame

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.