Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
one late submission if you'll have it

Attachments

• IMG_3465_sm.jpg
    IMG_3465_sm.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Contest is closed. Looks like a great group of shots again. I should get to the results tonight.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
I'll apologize for the short comments up front. Last second trip three timezones away has me mixed up. I questioned if it was worth it or not but I like trying to comment on each because it makes you look at each one more intently. Any way, it was a great group of shots this week and congrats to everyone that submitted.

truettray - Love the color and the composition. I'm unsure if the slight wrinkle in the tablecloth adds to the image or takes away from it.

acearchie - Great idea but it's actually too minimal for me. I like the idea of the boat in the fog I just need to see a little bit more of the boat.

imac wannabe - Nice shot. At first I thought Mars wasnt't isolated but then I wiped the dust off my screen and realized how black the rest of the sky is. Great job on exposure.

Indydenny - Nice composure and I like it in B&W. I think i'd like to see the top of the tree in the frame to emphasize it more as the subject. Needs to be a little less going on in the frame for minimilism.

oblomow - That's a take on minimilist that works too. Cool. My critique is it's just a picture of a room (but a unique take on the theme). I wonder if you could've filled the frame with the theme while still implying "minimal"?

Parkin Pig - Nice composition and I like the minimilist type sculpture as your subject. Black and white helps for this weeks contest but the stone wall takes a bit away from the "minimalist" feel.

themumu - The soft colors and gradiation is really nice. I'm assuming this was taken through an aircraft window so get job on getting a nice image. Though the horizon looks straight there's something that makes me thing I'm leaning right...probably the clouds.

sim667 - Cool idea and an interesting process to get the image. I like the framing that the glue gave. The fly is a little blown out but I imagine that was hard to control.

zObsidian - Unique image. I guess macro is minimal by nature. I like how the background makes it seem suspended. Is it suspended somehow?

Berlepsch - Another good macro shot. Very nice DOF on the flower. As a macro it's not quite what I was looking for with minimilism.

pukifloyd - Cool idea for a shot. Nice job on the DOF, it's hard to tell that it's upside down.

nitromac - Another cool one. Nice capture and I love the tone of the pic. Would like to get rid of that tree.

Cyclops62 - Hmmmm, interesting. I think I'd go with abstract over minimalist for that one.

Jabbot - Nice job on isolating that light and getting the black so black. The centered composition doesn't really work for me but I'm not sure how else you'd do it.

someoldguy - Nice moody picture. Just enough of a view in the fog to make it work.

Ish - Nice. The smoke really makes it and it's quite film noir-ish (is that a word?)

Firedept - Looks like fun. Not really what I was looking for in the theme.

Charpi - Nice shot. Black and white really makes this one.

AlexH - Nice landscape and black and white works well for this one as well. Well done.

NeGrit0 - Like the color. I'm not sure if it works for minimalism though.

Alexander.Of.Oz - Intersting idea but there is just too much of the bark for me.

gaswerks - Nicely done image. Nicely composed and I like the sepia.

Illuminated - Love the color and the black. I like the hands and the lights.

MacRy - Love the colors. Simply done and yet it's quite sophisticated.

fireman32 - Beautiful night sky. Good job on the tree line, it's in just the right spot,

Apple fanboy - Still a nice shot.

needfx - Great job on the depth of field and an interesting idea

And the winners....

3rd Place - Imac Wannabe

2nd Place - MacRy

1st Place - truettray

Congrats to truettray and on to the next one!

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Thanks for the comments JDDavis and for the second place. Congrats to truetray for a great shot and for everyone else who entered some really nice photos.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Congratulations truettray! You really kicked everything off to a high standard :) Well done everyone, lots of entries this week!

truettray - Love the color and the composition. I'm unsure if the slight wrinkle in the tablecloth adds to the image or takes away from it.

I think it adds to it. To me it just adds that something that lifts the photo from being stark into being attractive.

Ish - Nice. The smoke really makes it and it's quite film noir-ish (is that a word?)

Depends—is that "it's quite film noir-ish" or "it's quite film noir, Ish" :) ?

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
Good stuff

Got to say when I saw truttray's entry up first I felt the rest of us would be just entering to get second place at best.
Another good contest and some great photos and interpretations of the theme.
Thanks for the comments JDDavis as it's always good to see another person's perspective on images.
Looking forward to the next one.

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
This was a very fertile week - so many great entries! Love seeing so many different perspective on such a "simple" theme.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Thanks for the comments :D

I should probably say there isn't the actual fly in my picture, just the wing on its own :D

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
NeGrit0 - Like the color. I'm not sure if it works for minimalism though.

And the winners....

3rd Place - Imac Wannabe

2nd Place - MacRy

1st Place - truettray

Congrats to truettray and on to the next one!

Congrats to the top 3, as usual some amazing images submitted. :D

@JDDavis if at all possible could you expand upon my comment? I'm very curious why you would say it doesn't fit. Not sure if there are criteria or rules I don't know about, or just your opinion.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
Thanks JDDavis for the feedback. Congrat's truettray on a fine image. Another week with great diversity amongst all of the entrants.

zObsidian

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
zObsidian - Unique image. I guess macro is minimal by nature. I like how the background makes it seem suspended. Is it suspended somehow?

It was shot on glass from below with a white card backdrop lit by just about every movable light I could find in the house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.