Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
Time to fire up your gear or rummage through your archives! This week's contest theme is CONTRAST. There are various ways to look at this concept and address it in photography, so explore, experiment and have fun!

The contest begins today, Sunday, July 10th and runs through Sunday, July 17th at 12:00 PM (EDT, so adjust for your own time zone).

Please remember that these standard rules apply:
  • Do not comment, vote, react or click “like” on images prior to the winners being announced. In keeping with our most recent tradition, violators may be awarded first place. Henceforth this shall be known as the Molly-ing rule in honour of our friend and fellow perpetrator.
  • The photographs must be your own work.
  • This contest runs for one week. If in doubt, please check the title or description.
  • At the end of the week, The Judge will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • If the Judge is unable to complete the selection within 48 hours of the deadline, then last week's 2nd place has to step in. 3rd place takes over should 2nd place be similarly unable to officiate.
  • The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create a new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hughmac

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Might as well kick this one off. A topic with loads of possibilities, so no reason to hold back on the entries!

Lumix ZS200 camera hand held at 1/10th of a second, ISO 3200.

22P_963.jpg

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
Thanks, everyone who has been sharing your images so far! I've been kind of busy and distracted this week but I have been checking in, too, and looking good, nice interpretations of the theme!

The week has gone by quickly, hasn't it? Tomorrow is Saturday and then there'll only be Sunday left, with the shut-off time being around 12:00 PM EDT that afternoon......

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
And we're winding down to the finish line, folks! Only a half-hour left in which to post an entry! I know there are a few of you out there who like to live dangerously and wait until the final few minutes.....happens every competition!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
BOOM! The contest is now closed. I'll be back after a while with the results!

In the meantime, thank you to everyone who participated, everyone who looked in to see the entries, and those who thought about entering something but since it's summer, so many other things to do as well!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
And the results are in! Everyone did a really nice job with this contest, definitely met the theme and then some! I hope it was fun and perhaps challenging for you to either shoot something new or to find an image in your archives which fit the theme. I had fun looking at -- scrutinizing -- each image and seeing the various interpretations. It was neat to have both film and digital represented, and B&W and color. Well done, all!

Just a few comments here on each image, but not actual critiques, simply noting my observations and what had caught my attention....

OldMacs4Me

Wow, this eye-catcher is popping with color and contrast! It took me a minute to realize that I was looking down on a scene which appears to be a small pond surrounded by rocks and greenery, with leafy trees creating a sort of canopy over it. The lighting is what catches the eye, though, with that partial "fan" of brilliant yellow light beams accentuating the blue of the water. Along with the obvious contrasts inherent in the colors, shadows and light, there is also the contrast in textures as well. A very interesting image!

Gaswerks

In contrast with the colorful image just above, we now see a B&W presentation exemplifying the traits which make monochrome images special: tonality, beautiful shading from lights to darks with multiple gradations in-between. Lots of shades of grey! We also have the wonderful textural contrasts with the mountain itself and its surfaces, plus the layer of white snow with a serene sky above. The balance of the lighting is great -- I'm guessing you used a filter or two. What gives this image even more impact is the wonderful leading line of the ray of sunshine softly, gently touching a section of the mountain. A lovely photo.

Tizeye

I'd guessed we'd see a silhouette -- and birds are especially ideal for that! It paid to get up early in order to be there to capture this scene of the wading bird in search of his breakfast! Backlit against the brilliant oranges and yellows of the rising sun coloring the water, the bird adds to the already intriguing scene by also casting his own shadow -- two for the price of one!

TheYayAreaLiving

A peaceful landscape of an area many of us never see in person, the desert.... Lots of interesting contrasts here with the visibly harsh conditions of gritty, hard clay earth and prickly, spiny vegetation against the soft beauty of the blue sky with that line / layer of white fluffy clouds. The sun turning the light into pink on the mountain range in the distance creates a touch of beauty all its own. Even in harshness there can be beauty.

Ah, but wait! Another contrast, this one reminding us that the photographer isn't a native part of the landscape, but had to have arrived there somehow. On the right side of the image, two white signs catch the eye and the viewer spots the smooth pavement of a road cutting through the rugged, rough desert environment. My first instinct would have been to clone out that large sign and the smaller one, but the glimpse of them and the road serves to remind us of nature's vastness and remoteness while we humans use vehicles as one means to get there -- another contrast of sorts.

Mollyc

There is a lot to see in this seemingly simple image! Contrasts abound, starting with the beige woven-wood lattice-type patterned subject, which one realizes is actually a door, as suggested by the hinge on one side. What a fun subject to look at, with the interplay of light and shadows creating an interesting design. Symmetry, shape and shadow..... Wonderful! Probably if I had been there with a camera I would've felt the urge to move in closer and to fill the frame with nothing but that wonderful pattern of shadow, light and shapes. However, in doing so, then I would have missed out on the rest of the story in the image....

The viewer's curiosity is pricked. What would one see if the door is opened? Is it a storage area for some kind of equipment or perhaps it houses HVAC units? We can't really see what's inside but we know something is because of the space we see under the door, with another light play of smaller shadows and pattern. Whatever is in there has an attractive and appealing door protecting it!

Moving beyond that door, we see a section of the rest of the building, with white siding which has a pattern of its own in its simple structure -- another contrasting element, although no fun shadows. Looking down, we notice that whatever is behind the door rests on a concrete base, and outside the building there is a sidewalk.

Everything is hard, solid surfaces (except for the woven wood of the door).....stark. but we're not done yet, there is more to see! On the right in this scene is a nice little clump of green vegetation (weeds, probably) at the side of the building, a happy little surprise which provides much-needed color and a refreshing change in texture as well. A very interesting image here with a lot to catch the attention of the viewer.

Someoldguy

This looks like a really relaxing place to spend a pleasant afternoon, sitting on the bench in that intriguing gazebo nestled in quiet, peaceful surroundings. The ornate ironwork and design of this structure harken back to the past, creating a delightful and nostalgic garden retreat. Lots of contrasts here in colors, shapes and textures!

Looking beyond the immediate interior of the gazebo the viewer can enjoy the sight of a serene pond and lots of green and plantings. Nature presents her own contrasts with the manmade structure of the gazebo. A wonderful place to chill out....

It's easy to get so immersed in looking at this bucolic scene and imagining oneself within it that a viewer could almost miss the most significant contrast of all -- that just beyond the gazebo and the garden is a surprising view: the skyscrapers and tall buildings of a large modern city. The eye and the mind can flip back-and-forth between the two distinctly different sights within the same image and marvel at being reminded of an older era while also gazing at the modern-day one as represented by that very urban cityscape. Fascinating!

Jumpthesnark

Wow, beautiful colors which catch the eye immediately and offer contrast and an interplay of light and shadows. I love the way the smaller, lighter color mound echoes the shape of the rich brown larger one. This is an excellent example of the classic "rule of thirds," too, nicely executed with the blue, smooth sky serving as backdrop to the two colorful mounds. The rough texture of the surfaces makes one wonder how anything can grow there, but we can see bits of green or beige vegetation, adding different colors, shapes and texture to the image.

Is that a person I see at the far left of the photo, standing at nearly top of the yellow mound? If so, definitely he or she presents a clear contrast, too, being very, very small against the vastness of the surroundings. The mounds dwarf him or her. In the upper-right-hand corner of this image we also get a surprise glimpse of something else which adds a contrasting touch of its own: a wispy bit of colorful cloud in the otherwise clear sky. An image which indeed reminds us of how small we humans are in the overall scheme of things.

Janichsan

A striking silhouette of a bird standing guard over wire crates against a stunning, colorful background of layers of purple and pink clouds with blue sky peeking though....

The backlighting effectively outlines the shapes of the bird and the wire crates, which invite the viewer to take a closer look and try to guess what might be contained within those wire crates. The colors and shapes in this image are presented with impact, really eye-catching. For more contrast, we also notice a plant of some sort growing on the left which presents a different kind of shape and texture in opposition to the wires connecting the crates and the (unseen) feathers of the bird. A compelling, dramatic image.

And here we are at the podium..... I had a hard time with this! Each image was unique and interesting in its own way, so it was difficult choosing the rankings.

3rd: Jumpthesnark

2nd: Mollyc

And the virtual gold medal goes to.... Gaswerks!

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Thanks for the kind words, congrats to the winners. I knew I was safe the instant Mt. Kidd showed up. That mountain really grabs you.
What it really is; Is a top view of a $1 solar path light set in a bit of a rock garden. The vegetation is Seedum. I find spokes to be a particularly challenging element of composition. They demand to be centered, whereas my inclination is to try and offset as much as I can.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
What great feedback, and thank you for your analysis! Surprised for second place here, and congratulations to gaswerks!

Reactions: Clix Pix

gaswerks

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2006
Fantastic feedback on the submissions this week @Clix Pix , you have set a new bar in judging. Thanks to all for the kind comments on my shot. New contest will be up shortly ..

Reactions: Clix Pix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.