Weekly Photo Contest: July 19th-26th - Dance!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robotti, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Robotti, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016

Robotti macrumors regular

Robotti

Hi all,

New week, new contest, new theme. Fro this week, I have chosen "Dance!" as the theme.

Now, don't take "dance" too literally. Obviously anything where people are dancing will suit well, be it street photography, festivals, concerts or family in the yard. But it can also be butterflies or leaves dancing, anything where there is a beautiful dance-like movement that you have captured.

Use your imagination and have fun!

Rules:
    • The photographs must be your own work.
    • Be creative and have fun.
    • You may only submit one photo per contest.
    • Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.
    • The contest runs for one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread.)
    • At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
    • The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
    This contest will close on July 26th around 1pm EST.

2. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

3. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Did you mean 23rd? A week from today is 26 July. :) Sorry!

4. Robotti thread starter macrumors regular

Robotti

I was looking back and thought that the comp always runs during the same days of the week. But I've changed the date now, so you got a little more time!

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Well to my (strange!) mind these two look like they are engaged in a sort of dance together.
    [​IMG]_DSC1121 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

6. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

A fairly abstract one from me this time. Like it or hate it, I don't mind!

Dance.jpg

7. inkmich macrumors 6502

inkmich

8. georgeinnj macrumors regular

georgeinnj

Mame_high_school_musical (1 of 1).jpg botched the shot but I thought it was an interesting perspective. It's from the local high school drama club doing the musical Mame.

9. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

10. highdefjunkie, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016

highdefjunkie macrumors 6502

highdefjunkie

11. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68000

Alexander.Of.Oz

Just filling out the numbers for this week. Munchkins dancing at sunset.

[​IMG]

12. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

13. Robotti thread starter macrumors regular

Robotti

Thanks everybody, the contest has ended! I'll post the results in the morning (it's night here now).

14. Robotti thread starter macrumors regular

Robotti

I've finished the hard work of judging the photos. As I'm sure everyone else has felt at this point, I find it difficult to put them in a particular order, but here goes.

kenoh
    Lovely feeling! I like the black & white conversion and how you bring the couple to the focus.

Apple fanboy
    It’s a dance all right! And it’s like they are looking each other in the eyes.

Ish
    Yes, it is abstract and I love it! I’m not sure what is happening and where, but for some reason, I find it visually very interesting.

inkmich
    I love watching these kinds of happenings, I can almost hear the music and feel the beat.

georgeinnj
    I like the perspective too. If only you had managed to include the head of the lady on the right, it would be even better, but certainly you’ve captured the motion here.

dwfaust
    Lovely girl in a lovely place! Is there a boy on the left wanting to join the dance? :)

highdefjunkie
    This is great, just what I expected to see here. Authentic situations from the street- Camera being slightly tilted even adds to the feeling.

Indydenny
    Another one with great atmosphere. Something I’d want to see for myself and be there.

Alexander.Of.Oz
    Beautiful colors, beautiful beach. I can feel the warm sunset. I'm almost jealous of that view.

koilvr
    I like the mute colors and the composition. I like the dress, too. It's a quiet summer night and everything's peaceful.

3rd place highdefjunkie
    2nd place Ish
    1st place kenoh

The decision comes down to the joy in the photo that is so easy to see and feel, and also to the classic look. Thank you all for participating!

15. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Congrats to everyone who participated and of course to the winners !

16. highdefjunkie macrumors 6502

highdefjunkie

17. kenoh, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016

kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Err.... wow! i thought my picture was nice but not good enough to compete! Wow, thank you!

It is a special picture for me as it is my brother-in-law at his 40th birthday party. Lovely to see him having fun.

OK, I will get the thinking cap on... this recent run of getting lucky with the subject matter has left my list of topics a bit short...
    --- Post Merged, Jul 27, 2016 ---
    New Comp posted.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/weekly-photo-contest-july-27th-aug-3th-beautifully-aged.1984809/

My favourites this week were @koilvr and @Ish

18. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Congrats to all, especially the top 3 - @highdefjunkie, @Ish and @kenoh. There were a lot of moving photos in this one.

19. highdefjunkie macrumors 6502

highdefjunkie

I've seen your work. Outstanding stuff on Flickr. KUDOS!!!!!

20. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Thanks for the placement @Robotti. It's party night at the Arab-Egyptian dance class I used to go to! I loved the dancer but the surroundings were a bit mundane so I had a play with it. She was using wings as part of her costume.

Ooo, I could do a selfie!!! :D :D :D

It's good coming in second. You know someone liked your picture but you don't get all the hard work! ;)

21. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Wow! thank you very much for the kind words! Very humbling coming from you. I really enjoyed your Rome pictures!
    --- Post Merged, Jul 27, 2016 ---
    Nonsense.... not old enough!

22. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

You say the sweetest things! :D :p

23. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Well done everyone. Not being a people shooter, I had limited options in my catalogue.

Another win @kenoh ? How many that's now? You'll have to start having a bit of self belief soon!

I assume this weeks competition is in light of Nikon's 99th year anniversary this week? :D

24. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Thanks AFB. No, still just putting it to luck... Most of the other entries were better than mine I think.

Of course the competition about ageing beautifully, which coincided with Nikon turning 99 wasnt intentional... ! but now you mentioned it... OK, lets go with that... :)