Weekly Photo Contest - June 21st - June 28th Theme: People

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by acearchie, Jun 20, 2012.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Weekly Photo Contest - June 21st - June 28th (Theme: People)

Subject: People

Friends, family, laughing, sadness, normal, posed, candid!

The few competitions I have won have been around this topic. I take a lot of pictures of my friends and really enjoy catching a gem that has a great feeling/emotion to it.

If the photo's have a backstory please post!

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

2. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

3. pakyooh macrumors 6502

pakyooh

LA Pride

[​IMG]
    This was a shot I took for a photo essay project I've been working on called Malaya Project. The series this image belongs to features a drag artist named Ongina, shot during LA Pride.

4. avro707, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

avro707 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

Taken at a media event: Qantas Flight attendants wearing historical uniforms along with Qantas Brand Ambassador John Travolta and CEO Alan Joyce. D700 + 70-200mm F/2.8G ED VR II

5. chazman88 macrumors newbie

6. VI™ macrumors 6502a

People are the bulk of what I shoot, so this was a hard decision.

[​IMG]

7. sflarc51 macrumors newbie

Dejected Cowboy

Dejected Cowboy

[​IMG]

Shot on my wedding/honeymoon weekend at Mt. Charleston, NV with a D700 and 28-200mm AF-D f/3.5-5.6 lens at 200mm, f/8, 1/500sec, ISO 200

8. Eolian, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

Eolian macrumors regular

9. UltimaMC macrumors member

10. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

[​IMG]
    Sunset via Sunglasses by Ravaroo, on Flickr
    Last day in California with friends.
    Watching the sun go down was rather bittersweet.
    One of those moments that's equally beautiful and sad

11. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

My little brother winning his heat at his track meet.

[​IMG]
    DSC_0138 by Bradfleu, on Flickr

12. gotclawed macrumors newbie

[​IMG]
    An Post Milk Ras 2012, Mamore Gap, Donegal, Ireland.
    Outside category climb.
    Pain.

13. iTiki macrumors 6502

Cannery Row, Monterey

Attached Files:

14. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

15. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I got a new lens and this is the second picture I took with it of my best friend. There is some noise in the picture which is due to the fact that I didn't lower the ISO before. :(
    Also, this picture is upside down so her face is right side up. :)
    [​IMG]

16. Bartlindon macrumors newbie

Bartlindon

17. Chappers, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

My son was 3 years old when this was taken. He still misses his Great Grandma.
    [​IMG]

18. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Last chance for entries. I will be closing the contest soon!

19. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Great opener for the contest. I like the choice of B&W whilst instantly throws it into the street photography genre. Personally there is a little too much head room for me and therefore it feels like he’s sitting a bit low in the frame to be the centre of attention. Great shot all the same!

Nice colours. I don’t know if you’ve cropped into it in post but I would have liked to have seen just the bottom of the nose and maybe a bit more of the fascinator. I like the eyes right down the lens. It’s one of those photo’s where however you look the subject is looking right at you. I assume you’ve done some work in post as I like the look you’ve gone for. Sharpness in the skin is great as well.

Lovely shot. Did you fill from camera left or is that natural? I love the babies expression but it may have been a bit nicer if we could see the guys eyes a bit more. I like the choice of b&w as it adds a nice mood. What aspect ratio have you cropped to?

Great expression far right. I realise that you have emphasised that this was I assume paid work and not a personal shot and for that I commend you on getting a good pose and expression from everyone when it was outside of your control. The only thing letting it down for me is the far left blue lady facing away and the closed eyes of the red lady.

Another one cropped in a little too tight for my liking. I would have likes to have seen the bottom of the lips. Focusing on such a close subject with that lens must have been tricky and for that you are very good to have the eyes sharp. I like the expression but I am not sure what he is feeling?

Nice smile. Can I hazard a guess at 3 lights? I say three because of the blue cast on part of his beard and the orange on the other bit. I obviously don’t know this subject but I would have preferred one with the eyes a little bit more open so as to get a catchlight and really bring it to life!

Nice shot. Good candid moment. Only things I would aim for in the future is getting straight on with the subject, in this case lining up parallel to the bench and then making sure the crop is uniform on both sides. I also wonder if you had waited a bit longer whether they would have been a more pensive open face as she looked up?

The title really helps me with the mood on this. I like the fact that we can’t see half the face but I would have liked to have got the whole hat in. A nice capture and great separation with the DOF to isolate the “dejected cowboy"

Nice moment but the quality here lets you down. Was this from digital zoom on a P&S or heavily cropped? It’s just a pity that with the lack of resolution we just lose some of the detail in the eyes. I realise it probably wasn’t in your control but it would have been nice to be a bit more straight on.

Great shot. Love it. The expression is priceless and everything for me just works in the photo. Is there a colour version? I would be interested to see if the colours detracted from the subject or drew you in more to him? Spot on with the focus and overall great capture.

Were you fairly wide with this shot? I just feel like we are a bit close to the subject and could benefit from taking a step back and zooming in. I think I can’t quite get the emotion of the subject and I just get this slight sense of claustrophobia but otherwise a good capture.

Great light. Had a night like this in the UK tonight first time I’ve seen a sunset in a while. The expressions are almost trying to be expressionless but full of a story it seems. I don’t know if you have cropped but as a two shot they feel slightly off centre to the right.

You’ve posted this photo before on a contest I judged and you didn’t agree with my feedback then. I don’t know if it was fluke or you were looking to see if you could get a different response. Anyway here’s what I think.

Technically the capture is perfect. Before I mentioned about the hair at the front being out of focus but now I realise that where I am drawn first is definitely the eyes and those are sharp. I think it’s the expression that puts me off. From this height I feel like we are over the girl and she is being told off or something similar. Maybe if it was taken at her eye level there might be a more neutral feeling. I can’t really tell if it’s a happy or sad face but it feels more sad to me. I think before you said that this was taken of a bridesmaid at a wedding, a celebration in that sense and I don’t quite get that feeling.

It’s probably not the feedback you were looking for and like I said it’s technically perfect it’s just that the expression and emotion isn’t for me.

I like the concentration. Hope he was winning by the end! The boy behind is slightly distracting and I don’t know if a second earlier/later would have helped the composition. Don’t know also if you had the option to open up or push up the iso to speed up the shutter and get a slightly sharper image.

Nice image. Just be careful how you post it online. In full size it outstretched my laptop and I almost didn’t realise there was a right hand side to the image! The image as well isn’t particularly sharp (phone/P&S?) and would actually benefit from being presented a little smaller. I like the expression of the far left, the blood down his arms really showing the determination and physical challenge and especially the green jersey with his struggling competitive face.

Personally not a fan of this sort of psuedo/real tonemapped HDR. I am fine when it’s used to make a natural image but this isn’t really to my taste. The car is also a bit distracting in the bottom right.

Lovely shot. The B&W really helps to single out the white jacket. Good choice of shutter to freeze the subject but show the motion in the rain. Love the composition too, everything sits nicely in the frame.

I’d say about a stop and a half/2 stops over exposed for my liking Details are lost in the left arm and cheek and the background is almost totally gone. The 1/25 shutter speed also seems to be the cause of the slight lack of sharpness that I notice around the eyes. Not sure why you choose this speed when you could have boosted the ISO and helped yourself out, alternatively you could have gone to 1/80 and probably got the optimum exposure I would have preferred.

Cool idea. I would have completely centred the lens and cropped in a bit to focus on the subject and to get rid of the black lines that almost frame the image.

Really like this. The expression is great and the lighting is nice too. Only thing that lets it down is the actual resolution of the image. I would have maybe put a little bit of space under her feet to as she feels a little low in the frame.

This shot is I’m sure a good family moment but from a technical point of view the expressions are happening away from the cameras eye as we have the grandmother with closed eyes and a half covered face and the boy with a covered face to. As an outsider it doesn’t show me the two enjoying each others company and feels more like a snapshot.

Right onto the winners:

3rd Place: pakyooh

[​IMG]

2nd Place: Sideonecincy

[​IMG]

1st Place: UltimaMC

[​IMG]

Over to UltimaMC to create the next contest and onto the difficult job of judging!

20. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Congrats Ultima!

A tip of the hat to the judge as well, nicely done, sir.