Weekly Photo Contest (June 27-July 3): Time

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Xander562, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme: Time

Whether you choose to stop time in some crisp-clear action shots or let it flow in a surreal light-painting, show me your best.

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

Hawthorne Moon

Attached Files:

3. slieu92 macrumors regular

4. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Seen some time

This knife has stood the test of time.

[​IMG]

5. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

6. liljohnny51 macrumors regular

7. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

8. Presha macrumors regular

Days of Boom gone by....

Attached Files:

9. feuerschlange macrumors regular

One moment of this years Le Mans 24h race:

[​IMG]
    "flag" Leica M | 35mm lens​

10. mikshayne macrumors member

Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial

Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial

Attached Files:

11. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

a few seconds in time...though its probably too late, just got back from the summer cottage :D

Attached Files:

12. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

This contest has gone on for 9 days (says June 27th, but the post was made on the 25th).

13. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

weekly Photo Contest Judging

I've PMed Xander562 & djones36 that Xander has until 7/6 in the morning to judge. After that, djones36 has 24 hours. After that, someone will need to volunteer.

14. flutegirl822 macrumors member

flutegirl822

What's going on?

I don't mean to be negative, but has anyone noticed a change in these weekly photo contests compared to a year ago? To me, it seems that people, especially the judges, don't care to be punctual and thorough. Come on everyone, let's get it together. We all are anxious for the photo critiques and winners to be posted on time. Let's put more spirit and effort into this contest because it used to be fun and a great learning tool. :eek:)

15. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

I completely agree. flutegirl822 -- You did not submit this time. Assuming neither Xander562 nor djones36 responds to my PMs, would you be willing to judge? Also, we could as a group decide that we've waited long enough and just go with a volunteer judge now.

What do you all think?

16. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I agree.

Lets try and stick to time constraints better and lets move on with the next contest!

17. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

agreed. the time has long passed (and probably my entry isnt even valid anymore because of the time stamp).... go judge :)

//F

18. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

flutegirl822 -- do you want to judge this? If not then I'll volunteer.

19. oblomow macrumors 68030

oblomow

I agree. Although I didn't submit anything this time. Xander562 was slow to start this contest and even slower to finish it. I can't think of solution to get more dedicated judges. Perhaps have a list of standy-volunteers to judge the contest? It would hate it to miss the contest. I don't participate every time, but I love to read it (and hopefully learn something from it).

20. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Agreed! Onward and upward. I'd rather keep the contest flowing instead of unfortunately waiting and waiting for the judge or winner. I know people have many things that come up that keep them from the interwebs. The contest, though, should move on regardless and the judge that missed out will no doubt appreciate our stepping in for him/her. I think the long waits for starting and judging contests could perhaps be one of the things that turn folks off.

Deep Diver, Flutegirl...either one of you would be great. As they say in my work...the volunteer judge is "cleared in hot".

21. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I don't know if Xander is forgetful or has choosen not to reply to this as he signed in yesterday and posted in the photo of the day so I think we can say that he probably won't judge.

I think whoever next reads this out of Deep Diver and Flutegirl logs on and reads this should quickly judge so that we can get a new topic up and running hopefully by tomorrow.

22. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

I don't know what's the deal with Xander. He has been posting everyday at POTD. I did not hear back from flutegirl so I will do it. I have to tutor one of my students and then I'll get going on the judging. Check back in 2-3 hours.

23. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Okay. Here it is. Normally when I judge I spend the entire week considering the images. This time I have about 30 minutes. My comments will not be as well thought out as I would like them to be.

HBOC – This is not a subject that I would normally find appealing, but this one holds my attention. I think the framing is off. Most of the area on the bottom half is not interesting. On the other hand, my eye keeps following the towers up the frame and into the sky. I would love for you to have framed this with more sky. I think the gradation from medium blue to dark blue is what really accentuates the notion of time.

slieu92 – I imagine this was a good time with good friends. What I see, however, is a snapshot that does not tell me much of a story. Your use of a wide lens certainly makes this snap more fun.

MattSepeta -- You have beautifully captured the relationship between this knife and time. I imagine this blade has spent a lot of time stuck in an old plank just like that one. The one blade has been sharpened hundreds of times and the other is broken evoking a sense that this was both used for real work and also cared for. The colors are a bit flat but I’m sure that is the real color of the knife. For me, the book is actually a distraction but I think that reflects my preference for very simple compositions. Very well done.

deep diver – oops. Disqualified from the judging.:D I would, however, appreciate critique from others.

liljohnny51 – lightening shots are hard to get and I have yet to do one well. You were very lucky with the timing. I think there is a funny aspect to this – there are the two big bolts moving in the same direction and then you have this little guy moving in a different direction. Reminds me of my kids. My only criticism is that there is too much black sky on the right. I would have cropped out much of that.

JDDavis – I’ve seen other images from this series (but don’t remember if I’ve seen this one). Machinery like this is hard to shoot and the colors here are challenging. Framing and DOF are spot on. Fantastic image.

Presha – This image has a lot of potential but is not working for me as is. There is too much sky and the ruins just work to move my eyes in that direction. Also, the colors are very flat and I have to search much too hard to find the different elements of this image. Given the theme, it would have been better to focus on the ruin.

feuerschlange – This image also does not work for me. It feels very flat and I get no sense of the excitement or energy of the race. I would have shot this in color, used a longer exposure and panned, and I would have waited until the cars were closer. The image as it is would look much better if you increased the contrast.

mikshayne – I remember that day. This is an outstanding shot. It is dark but that emphasizes the horror of the bombing. The framing and composition are perfect. Every element draws my eye up to the “9:01”. Outstanding.

flosseR – I don’t really have a lot to say about this. It is a fun image and well constructed. I definitely get a sense of the boy’s (your son???) playfulness. Nicely done.

This was hard because there are a few that could be in first place.

3rd – MattSepeta – your image tells a very rich story.
    2nd – JDDavis – outstanding job with a very tough subject.
    1st – mikshayne – this image evokes such a strong emotional response.

All three of you know the rules. mikshayne, I’m looking forward to your topic.

24. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

I think that's good but what does it mean?

25. feuerschlange macrumors regular

You mean more like this?

[​IMG]

I would have not shot this in color, as I don't care much for color these days.
    I would not have shot this with a longer exposure, as I wanted to freeze the motion of the marshal, waving the flag, while having the approaching cars in the scene.
    I would not have panned the shot, as the marshal would have been blurred.
    I processed this with low contrast, to have plenty detail in the final print.

It is not, as this was an accidental shot, but a thoughtful exposure - so your judgement confuses me :cool:
    More of this years Le Mans will be found after a site update, as soon, as I am finished with printing.

Anyway - congratulations for the winner - a well deserved win.