Weight of 9600m GT?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiborsy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. skiborsy macrumors newbie

Anybody have any idea what the discrete card adds in weight? Low grams? Low ounces? Do we think the difference is at all noticeable?

I probably won't need it for my uses, but I'm still more than a little curious.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Less than 20 grams I think.

Why do you wanna know?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The weight of the device only (and a few support components). There's no separate discrete "card". So, grams, fractions of an oz.

4. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Its just a small chip, its not like desktop cards where it has a big heatsink and pcb board. Its like adding a stick of ram.

5. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

weirdest question i have ever read on mac rumors :confused:

6. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Well it is kind of a valid question considering there is now a 15in sans the 9600m, but for all practical purposes it weighs nothing.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

he's prob referring to the 2 different 15" models

but yeah, it's just a chip so no discernible difference

9. skiborsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, in reviewing what I wrote, I could have been a little less obtuse.

I've been carrying a 12.1"-screened 2.5lb computer for the last four years (Latitude X1), and think it's about time to go with something new that can actually do the things I'd like it to. However, obviously, the 15" (which I think I'll choose over the 13" purely for screen real estate) will be a big change in pounds carried, and I was wondering if there was a weight savings in going with the integrated graphics.

Since I'm pretty sure I'm not deserving of the discrete graphics card and probably don't need it, but can afford it, I was trying to decide on whether it's worth the weight to have the extra power. I didn't know whether it was like a card in a desktop with its own heat sink, etc. - where the weight might make a difference and help sway my decision one way or the other. Plus, people have been talking about the two fans in the 15" versus one in the 13", and I haven't seen conclusive evidence as to how many fans the the base 15" has. Obviously, 20 grams isn't going to make enough difference to sway my decision!

Thanks for the help!