Weird black triangular graphics disruption - ad related?

JWSpaceMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
For a while (well over a month) about half the time I visit the site, there is a terrible graphics disruption that renders it unusable.

There is a screen cap below of what I'm seeing -- it is kind of a black triangular artifact that mutates around frequently.

I can't be the only one seeing this, surely ... maybe it has been discussed, but I didn't see another thread.

It seems to occur when certain types of ads are being served.

I'm using Safari.

Any thoughts? Anyone else getting that? Already discussed?

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 5.13.28 PM.png

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
this doesn't look like a normal css/html issue. More of a graphics issue?

- We have rewritten our entire HTML/CSS/JS front end and that will be deployed in the next couple of weeks. So it probably isn't worth digging too deep into.
- Let me try turning your ads off and let me know if it stops happening.

arn

JWSpaceMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
this doesn't look like a normal css/html issue. More of a graphics issue?

- We have rewritten our entire HTML/CSS/JS front end and that will be deployed in the next couple of weeks. So it probably isn't worth digging too deep into.
- Let me try turning your ads off and let me know if it stops happening.

arn
Thanks for the reply. Graphics card is what I thought at first ... I have several Macs, though, and I'm pretty sure it has happened on multiple machines (couldn't swear to that -- for sure it occurs on my 2012 iMac at home) starting around the same time. One other related artifact ... when this happens text is also very "scattered", as if each letter has been pasted in a semi-random position by an old timey typewriter.

My next guess was that a particular type of ad was "breaking out" of its html container and corrupting the rendering -- this seemed more likely if large amounts of javascript are used for dynamic page generation.

But, it is hard to believe that you wouldn't have already been barraged for a month with solid complaints if the problem was really on your end. Still, if anyone else has seen this, that would be nice to know ...

Interesting about your new front end - sounds good!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I think we've heard of it intermittently. but certainly not regularly.