Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greylee

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
My applecare still has not transfered over yet either. I am going to give it a few more days before I call them and ask whats up.

Also, regarding the statement, the replacement is either new or referbished. I think if the replacement is refeb it will have a 5k and if the replacement is new it will have a different serial like 61. Just cause it comes in the black box doesnt mean it will have a 5k serial number.

yea mine applecare still hasn't be transferred yet. and I called applecare yesterday, the lady told me she thought it was weird that the applecare hasn't shown up on my new phone yet. Also, the system is not letting her manually transfer as well, so she thinks it is in the process of transferring.
guess I will just ahve to wait.

greylee

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Ya I was curious and bored so I called AppleCare. They said any phone with a LETTER (A, B, C, K, Q) after a NUMBER (1-10) is a refurb (or remanufactured) for example 5K or 6Q. Any phone with 2 LETTERS like 61 or 87 is new...

maybe hes wrong i dunno haha. He said people ask a lot bc they dont want refurbs when they get a replacement.

what?!! wish i have had known this and i would definitely make them to give me a new phone instead of refurb phone

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
what?!! wish i have had known this and i would definitely make them to give me a new phone instead of refurb phone

Applecare also said new phones come in black boxes with the refurbs or "Remanufactured"

Apple doesnt know which phone(refurb or not) is new so they just cant keep opening the black boxes and checking.

Last edited:

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
well I bought a brand new functioning phone why do I deserve a broken sleep wake key?!

i understand. hardware isn't perfect and fails sometimes. but they gave you a working phone and most likely in better cosmetic condition than your previous phone. if you want a new phone, you won't get one.

and if you don't like it, buy a different phone and try to deal with another company. you'll be without a phone for weeks and you'll have to use a dumb phone for the time being.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
i understand. hardware isn't perfect and fails sometimes. but they gave you a working phone and most likely in better cosmetic condition than your previous phone. if you want a new phone, you won't get one.

and if you don't like it, buy a different phone and try to deal with another company. you'll be without a phone for weeks and you'll have to use a dumb phone for the time being.

I agree with him, however i have had every iPhone since 2007 and my luck with refurbs is horrible. I guess i got lucky my 4th replacement is brand new bc its perfect as my launch day 4 was. my refurbs were horrible. Just try asking for a new one and you may get lucky.

EnchantedPlague

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
yea mine applecare still hasn't be transferred yet. and I called applecare yesterday, the lady told me she thought it was weird that the applecare hasn't shown up on my new phone yet. Also, the system is not letting her manually transfer as well, so she thinks it is in the process of transferring.
guess I will just ahve to wait.

Mine transfered over today, hopefully your will soon to!

greylee

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Applecare also said new phones come in black boxes with the refurbs or "Remanufactured"

Apple doesnt know which phone(refurb or not) is new so they just cant keep opening the black boxes and checking.

hahaha yea that makes sense. I didn't even see a black box, the guy just took the phone out to me. well it's always good to get a new phone but Im not gonna be an ass to ask them to check every phone so I can a new one instead of refurb. I mean they should all be the same, plus two years later im gonna get the next gen iphone anyway.

greylee

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
I agree with him, however i have had every iPhone since 2007 and my luck with refurbs is horrible. I guess i got lucky my 4th replacement is brand new bc its perfect as my launch day 4 was. my refurbs were horrible. Just try asking for a new one and you may get lucky.

yea i think he is right. we are all spoiled by apple! :p new vs. refurb is more of a mental thing than physical i guess. and as far as you have your applecare, you can just keep getting new phones if they keep failling. lol

utneon

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2011
Portugal
i purchased my new iPhone 4 on 24th february and the display was faulty. it was sent to apple for replacement, is it possible that they send me a refurbished one instead? i'm alittle worried about that.

ryguy2303

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2009
I got my iPhone 4 replaced today and the one I got has a serial number beginning with 61 :confused:

utneon

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2011
Portugal
by the way, the iphone that i purchased day 24th feb was sent back to apple because it was faulty, it's serial no started with 84

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
i purchased my new iPhone 4 on 24th february and the display was faulty. it was sent to apple for replacement, is it possible that they send me a refurbished one instead? i'm alittle worried about that.

You might, most replacements are refurbs beginning with 5K or 6Q or even 7Q like my friends.

greylee

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
it doesn't matter if it's a new or refurbished...they should all function the same. I don't think apple will be willing to risk their reputation to replace you with a less good phone. but of course i can understand the mental issue attached with it. everyone wants a new phone. but the refurbished or remanufactured should work just fine. and as far as you all have applecare you have nothing to worry about.

kdarling

macrumors P6
*sigh*

I really wish people would understand the differences between refurbished and remanufacturered.

Remanufactured means being taken apart and going back through the original manufacturing process.

Apple's secondhand devices don't go back to the factory in China. They're simply cleaned up, major pieces replaced (not individual chips), and often get a new case and battery. In other words, they are refurbished.

Apple does not give out refurbished iPhones (according to Apple). If you receive a replacement iPhone, it is expected to be remanufacturered... not refurbished.

On their store, Apple calls them "refurbished".

Here is their detail page on what it means to be an Apple Certified Refurbished Product.

EnchantedPlague

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
it doesn't matter if it's a new or refurbished...they should all function the same. I don't think apple will be willing to risk their reputation to replace you with a less good phone. but of course i can understand the mental issue attached with it. everyone wants a new phone. but the refurbished or remanufactured should work just fine. and as far as you all have applecare you have nothing to worry about.

I disagree, I think it does matter. The first replacement I got was referb and it had scratches along the bezel. I was defiantly not pleased by this. The second replacement was apparently new (serial started with 61) and it was in perfect condition. As much care apple takes with their referb iphones, they are still refeb and do differ from brand new ones.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I disagree, I think it does matter. The first replacement I got was referb and it had scratches along the bezel. I was defiantly not pleased by this. The second replacement was apparently new (serial started with 61) and it was in perfect condition. As much care apple takes with their referb iphones, they are still refeb and do differ from brand new ones.

Enchanted-does your 61 have a yellow tint?

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I've dealt with two iPhone 4 refurbished units and both (including the one I'm typing this message on) have yellow tinted screens. My original unit had a bluer hue in comparison.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I've dealt with two iPhone 4 refurbished units and both (including the one I'm typing this message on) have yellow tinted screens. My original unit had a bluer hue in comparison.

What are the first two numbers like 5k of your serial number for your replacements ?

EnchantedPlague

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Enchanted-does your 61 have a yellow tint?

It unfortunately does have a yellow tint. Not as bad as my 5K one, but it is still noticeable when compared to the display units. However, I am just going to leave it for now, and in a few months go back to see if they have fixed the issue on their replacement iPhones.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
It unfortunately does have a yellow tint. Not as bad as my 5K one, but it is still noticeable when compared to the display units. However, I am just going to leave it for now, and in a few months go back to see if they have fixed the issue on their replacement iPhones.

try taking a picture of it...my 61 is as blue as the displays.

EnchantedPlague

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
try taking a picture of it...my 61 is as blue as the displays.

You mean take a picture to compare with yours? Also, does anyone think this yellow screen issue is software solvable? Like a jailbroken app that lets you change the screen temperature. Wonder if anyone has tried that route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.