Weird Little Pop Sound on MBP???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thoroughthoreau, Aug 5, 2009.

1. thoroughthoreau macrumors newbie

I don't know how to describe it. It's almost like the pop sound you get when you raise/lower the volume, but it happens when you're doing nothing. Like the MBP is hiccuping. A very slight quiet noise, but it's strange and disturbing nonetheless. It's not a mechanical clink, like the HD or something, but a little 'pop'.... anyone??? THANKS!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Are you running something in the background? I know for me, that sound (the same one that you set in Sounds in System Preference) comes on with a background application is doing something. For example for Microsoft Messenger, if it logs out due to connection problems or whatever, it will play that sound. I didn't know about it until I clicked on the Messenger icon and displayed the disconnected message. Also, it might be that you're performing some gesture on the trackpad which doesn't work depending on what you're doing.

3. thoroughthoreau thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply. i didn't do a good enough job describing the sound. it's not a sound file, like a warning or a little dong that the mac is playing. it sounds like an electrical snap. a mini fart, really. it's not linked to any action. a tiny sound. like popping your finger in your inner cheek (lollipop), but much higher pitched. oh god. impossible to describe. it's probably nothing, but it happens a lot. a little electrical pop!

4. celticpride678

I have the same issue with my Late 2008 MacBook.

I actually just filed a case of this issue at Apple and they will be calling me later tonight. I will post back with what they say.

5. thoroughthoreau thread starter macrumors newbie

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Hah, stuff like this is difficult to explain without actually seeing or hearing. Can you do me a favor and open System Preferences and click on the Sound pane, click on Sound Effects tab and go through each one and see if one of those are the sounds you're hearing?

If it's not hardware, it has to be software and if it is, it has to be one of those sound effects you're hearing.

7. thoroughthoreau thread starter macrumors newbie

definitely none of those. it's definitely not sound-fx,but something electrical maybe? maybe it is hardware. is that normal, for little clinks, clangs and pops when the computer is just sitting idly?

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If it's various clicks (different sounds) then it's most likely the HDD which in most cases is normal. If it's something you can reproduce or happens occasionally, you might want to take it into the Apple Store to have it checked out.

9. celticpride678

I just got off the phone with Apple Support and I will be heading in for a repair it seems. Will post back later.

10. technopimp macrumors 6502a

I am having the same thing...whenever I turn it on, right before I get to the desktop, there's a popping sound...almost like bubble wrap. Very sharp, very loud. Definitely NOT coming from the speakers. Am interested in hearing the outcome of the repair trip.

11. celticpride678

Sorry I did not post back earlier. But why would you think it is not coming from the speakers? The people at the Genius Bar said they would be happy to replace my Logic Board, but since the issue is not easily re-created, I will have to find a way and bring it back to them.

12. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Well, the audio is muted, so unless it's getting around that somehow I can't imagine how it is. Plus, it sounds like it's coming from directly underneath the trackpad. In fact, the first time I heard it I was sure the pad had cracked somehow.

13. celticpride678

Exactly. You just proved my point. When the audio is muted and there is a popping noise, the sound chip on the Logic Board is still sending signals to the speakers. This means it is a bad sound chip (which they told me) and that is what it does. Also, the sound is coming directly under the keyboard, where the speaker system is on this computer. The sound chip is on the logic board, which is in the top right corner of the computer.

14. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Sorry...you never posted that explanation though, so I'm not sure how I was supposed to know. :confused:

But thanks for the info, I guess I'll contact Apple.

15. celticpride678

If you could, please post back, as I want another opinion.

16. SkipperStyle macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with my late 08 alu macbook. I brought it to the apple store and a guy removed "unnecessary" files from a folder that deals with audio. I unfortunately did not note which files he removed, but everything works great now.

He told me if the problem returns, to try resetting your PRAM: while restarting, hold down command + option + p + r

Hope that helps.

17. celticpride678

Thanks. I would be happy to try it out, but does anyone have any ideas on what folder or file?

18. celticpride678

So, I thought I would just post back an update. I shipped out my MacBook back this Friday to Apple Repair. They said that the Logic Board and Speakers would be replaced. Should be getting back in a week. Thanks.

19. vapormike macrumors newbie

Have any of you got this problem figured out? Its happening to me =( I have the late 2008 model of Macbook Pro. Its getting really irritating when it pops while I'm watching a movie or listening to music on itunes. Help will be much appreciated!

20. optyks macrumors newbie

I know exactly what youre talking about with the popping noise. It happens to me pretty often. I never know if i'm trippin or what, but yeah, its a regular occurrence, even with the sound muted. I have a mid 09 MBP unibody...

it sounds exactly like a chat notification on facebook.

21. wez99950 macrumors member

i have the same problem and i've only had it 2 weeks. getting very annoying, particularly if i'm in a quiet room and this noise keeps getting me odd looks

22. mbrim macrumors newbie

I have a macbook pro, late 07 model, and i've had the noise since day 1! it doesn't do it all the time but when it does, it drives me crazy, especially when it's quiet. I've taken it to Mac Store twice but as it's noisy in shop, they can't hear it... and it doesn't do it on demand! I gave up worrying about it... but it's doing it again now... You're right... it's like a facebook chat message notification sound.

23. nbndrums macrumors newbie

Same issue

I don't have any information or updates, but I just thought I would post and let you know I'm having the same issue with my iMac. I just got it about 6 months ago and within the last month or so I've been hearing these popping sounds.

It really does sound like a faint facebook chat notification, and I thought I was going insane until I found this thread. May consider contacting Apple...

24. celticpride678

My issue was completely solved once the logic board was replaced. Just make sure that the noise you are hearing is not the pop that happens after a period of speaker inactivity. This is NORMAL. If it happens randomly, you need to go to the Genius Bar and have them test the issue.

25. elmz macrumors regular

I know exactly what you're talking about. I haven't heard mine pop in awhile, maybe I just got used to it. But its a sound you can't describe unless you hear it first hand. I believe the sound is coming from the speakers, but I could never reproduce the issue, it just kind of happens "pop".