Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacsOnAnabolics

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I actually have the same problem! I thought it was just my imagination at first. When there is background noise (i.e. tv, music, people) it is not noticeable. However, the other night I was on my new 15" MBP without any background noise and was able to hear the sound exactly as you describe. It sound like it is coming from under the right side of the keyboard. Probably the hard drive? In my case, my HDD is stock so hopefully there aren't any issues with that.

Anyone who can help shed light on this issue, the effort is greatly appreciated.

paul191919

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
I have the exact same problem but I just cannot reproduce it in the apple store. I send in to repair at the apple store. It took me 3 days and they replace the hard drive for me. However, the issue is NOT solved. I would really like to hear from you guys who have the same problem how to deal with it.

stifer

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
Pop sound due to Kaspersky update.

Hello guys,

I was having the same issue with the faint popping sound on my recently bought MBP. I spent so many hours researching the web on what it might be causing it and by pure chance I updated my kaspersky antivirus manually yesterday and once the update finished (100%) I heard the popping sound! I went mad! I re confirmed this many times when I run the update again and constantly produced the same sound! I don't know if this will help anyone, but I know what is causing it now.

Regards,
A

guzforster

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
I'm having the same problem with my MBP 17"

It's not from the speaker. It happens whenever I move the macbook some. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. My guess is the HD. It's in the bottom left corner.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
If you are hearing a popping sound when nothing is happening, it's just the audio card cycling off, which is normal and can't be fixed. You'll notice that you'll hear it somewhere between 30 sec and a minute after the speakers have reproduced some kind of sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.