weird loud poping sound trough speakers macpro 6-core

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mr bojangles, Sep 8, 2010.

1. mr bojangles macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

2 days ago i received my new mac pro 6-core 3,33GHz...now something really weird and super annoying is going on with this computer...From time to time there is this really loud POP trough my speaker.

I'm absolutely 100% sure this has nothing to do with my amp. cables or whatever and its definatly a problem with the MacPro, i know because of the following:

Plugged in new cables, removed every installed software, plugged onto different amplifier, when there are absiolutely no audio cables plugged into the computer and when i use the build in speakers of the mac pro i still hear the POP/distortian like sound, and finaly even took it at my friends house and tested the machine there on his audio instalation...problem remained!

not knowing what to do next i decided to go and see a very good technician (music instruments and studio recording) and told him about the problem, he imediatly stated that it "could be" because of the harddisk drive giving like electric impulses or whatever that causes the distortion...or that the sound card or audio chip set waking up from sleep and every time it does there is this loud POP???

best to compare the Loud POPS with if you take out an audio cable while the amplifier is still active, POP

i'm like yeah ok i could understand if this was a 350$ computer but i paid 4000$ for this machine and it can't even play an itunes song without the thing freaking me the hell out with these loud pops.

Are there any other people whom experienced the same problem or know of the same problem with MacPro's?

Are there any solutions so i no longer getting the living daylights scared out of me?

Oh yeah, also called Apple about the problem and they were like, do a hardware test blabla, but that also turned out to be of no help, hardware test said everything was ok.

Having my new MP i should be happy but the thing is giving me more stress and headaches especially sinbce i payed 4000$ for a computer that can't even play a tune.

2. mr bojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

nobody? any tips, people with same problem...or is it maybe normal for a macpro not being able to play a simple song with Itunes without having to deal with weird sounds going trough the speakers?

could someone confirm if at all it could be possible that its because of the harddrive waking up or audio chipset waking up from sleep everytime causing this POP...does the audio even go to sleep while i'm working on the machine?

its getting frustrating, second machine, EXACT same problem and 100% sure its a macpro issue and not external hardware or cables. Could it be a defect with the new 6-cores? Am i the only guy here with this problem (2computers):confused:

3. Vylen macrumors 65816

Amplifier?

Using optical out?

If so, did you check the end of the optical cable while it's still plugged into the Mac? If the red light turns off when no audio is playing, then the audio out is turning itself off... The pop is the card re-activating or whatever.

4. mr bojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

yes using optical out, never checked if the red light is turned off when no audio is playing, need to check that later.

Its also when absolutely no Audio cable is plugged and use the build in speakers, also same story when i use a headset plugged into the mac. Same POP/crack

Lets say if the loud pop indeed is from the card re-activating...what should i do to prevent this because its pretty much extremely annoying, i mean...i'm just playing a song here :confused: and a 4000$ machine making loud pops because of a card re-activating, is something i would expect to find on a 300$ computer.

Also am i tge only one here with this problem, because if its the card re-activating, shouldn't everybody have the exact same problem? Did anyone here experience the same problems??

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

My machine comes on fri I will let you know if this happens to me. your work around may be don't use optical out. I use USB out with my mac mini and it works fine.

6. mr bojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for replying, could you maybe tell me how to use usb out?

do i just buy a cable that has on one side usb and the other side two cinch inputs (red-white), just plug it into a usb port and voila sound?

really want to know before i buy the cable, didn't even knew they exist or am i completly understanding your approach wrong?

7. iondot macrumors member

Regardless of the amount an item costs, there will always be percentage that are defective. Cold comfort and a pain in the rear, but I'd demand an exchange.

Is there an Apple store nearby? If so, I would bring it in so you can clearly demonstrate the issue and have them deal with packing, shipping and replacement. The Genius bars are extremely useful in these sorts of situations.

8. mr bojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

No mac store around here unfortinatly, thus also no genius bars. i'll ask for an exchange, only if this is because of the sound card waking up or HDD i'm afraid the next one will have the same problem wright???

can someone please confirm if its possible to have usb and cinch for my sound, maybe i could try it this way

9. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

okay I use usb to an external device then the external to a mic and an amp see link. so the external device converts the sound to rca or cinch jacks.

http://www.amazon.com/Edirol-UA-1EX-USB-Audio-Interface/dp/B000BD1AF0

it has now been remodeled to this device

http://www.uniquesquared.com/servlet/the-871/Cakewalk-UA-dsh-1G-replaces-Edirol/Detail

it may be a low cost fix with more options then the macpro has to start with (under 100)

A lot of amps pop with turn-on thump. So using a friends amp is not the best test.

The one thing I don't like about your problem is the headphones are getting turnon thump. That sounds like you macpro is broken. In all the years of mac mini and iMac use I have never had headphones get turnon thump. If you test the headphone jack and get this pop with two or three pairs of headphones ask for a new one (Macpro). Just say "when I plug in my headphones to play itunes I get a very loud turnon thump. I love the mac pro but I love my ears more."

10. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

if you have windows installed and the problem occurs there, too, it's most likely a hardware issue. -> faulty unit

11. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Have the same issue with my 6 Core MP - though I narrowed the problem down to happening only when the AC unit in my apartment kicks in, I get a pop on my Logitech speakers when that happens. I had an identical speaker setup with my old PC before the mac pro and did not have the issue. Fortunately for me, it's not bothersome enough to do anything about.

12. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

13. mr bojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

aaaaah, good old windows :D don't have it installed.

if this is a typical problem, having a new one delivered wouldn't do me any good would it? A really good technician from a music instrument store told me that if this macpro has it (and if it is in fact the soundcard waking up or HDD) than he's pretty sure all 6-cores will have the same problem.

now i'm sure there's loads of guys on here with 6-cores so do you fine people had any loud POPing trough your speakers?

i did find this 1 post witch sounds like the exact same problem i'm having

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2532214&tstart=90

14. mr bojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

its really a super loud pop here, scares the living daylights out of me everytime, its just not possible to work on this machine with the volume turned on. How did you narrow the problem down, did you use other power cables/power source...

Here's another thing i just now discovered when turning the light on in my room i also hear this litle crack trough the speakers :confused::confused:...what is going on with this 6-core, never had anny problems like this...just to check plugged in my old computer (same power suply voltage as macpro 6-core) no poping trough speakers, no crack/distorted sound when turning on the light...etc

this is my first mac EVER let me tell you till this point it has been one big dissapointment, my hard earned money down the *******

15. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I just happened to notice that everytime the AC kicked on the speakers popped..but it's not a really loud pop like you describe, more of a faint crack. I just have a simple 2.1 Logitech speaker set. My Mac Pro is plugged into an APC UPS, and my speakers are plugged into a separate surge protector, if it makes any difference.

16. mr bojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

called Apple again and i have the idea they aren't taking it really serious, they told me to try and do a hardware test (again) and install OS X (again)

thinking about getting my money back and call it a day

17. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I have an old iMac G4 at the moment and Logitech 'Z4' 2.1 speakers and I do sometimes get that cracking sound when someone turns the light on or when my flatmate (who studies tailoring) uses the steam function on his industrial iron. I always assumed it was just the ****** wiring in the buildings here in the UK, as in student halls, I had the same situation with my MacBook Pro and my old speakers (Altec Lansing FX6021). I've never had any "random" cracks/pops though.. if there was a sound, it was because of something being turned on or off.

18. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Isn't it the same thing that happens when it wakes from sleep? Have you checked your energy settings? I'd zap the PRAM, too, for kicks. I'm setting up my Hex this weekend, so I'll let you know if I'm having the same problem.

19. mr bojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i get to the energy settings and how should they be? what do you mean with "zap the PRAM"?

sorry first time mac user

20. DualShock macrumors 6502

21. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Sorry, I should've posted a link for the PRAM part (thanks DualShock).

For energy settings, go into your Apple Menu > System Preferences > Energy Saver.

It could be your Mac is sleeping every 10 minutes (well, it shouldn't if you're actually using it at the time). Try sliding the 'computer sleep' to Never just for an experiment. See if it makes a difference. Try un-checking the 'put drives to sleep' box, too.

22. mr bojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

thnx for the tips, going to try it but idon't see the 'put drives to sleep' box. only "put harddisk to sleep when possible"

what should i do

23. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Yep, that's the one I mean. Sorry for the confusion. Make sure that one is un-checked so it's not putting the HD to sleep.

24. mr bojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

maybe a stupid question since i'm new to this but is this in any way harmful or not recommended to 'not' put the hard disk to sleep when possible or to let the computer "never" switch to sleep mode? I'm asking because i assume this is going to shorten my macs life span since everything is constantly working without a break, and since i'm working at least 10 hours a day on this computer.

again thank you very much for helping, i really appreciate it!!

edit: never mind un-checking the HD sleep mode or computer sleep as i just had another explosion trough my speakers here...what a depressing "first mac" moment, absolutely have no idea on what to do next.

If only a few people obviously have the same problem, than i'm assuming its a Mac pro problem (specially 6-core) and you need to get lucky to get one that doesn't have this problem, also when i called Apple they claimed this was the first time ever this problem occurred yet i found 3 topics on the net of people with the same problem

25. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

yeah, you can't trust apple about stuff like that. they claimed they had never heard of yellow tinge issues on iMacs although apple had already made a statement about it ...